Do you eat while you shop?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Do you eat while you shop?

I've been thinking about the germ issue, how I have no problem with it, and wondering why it doesn't bother me.  And, you guys have given me the answer!  The samples.  My mom always shopped on sample day instilling in me the idea that it's A-OK to eat there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Some-Guy, I see your point, I really do, and I agree with you.  But, practically speaking, it seems odd that the store actually called the cops, and they came and went through with the arrest, doesn't it? I mean, I know intent has nothing to do with whether or not this woman shoplifted, but in "normal circumstances" wouldn't you think that the store manager would approach the woman after she had checked out without paying for the item, and informed her that she had failed to pay for her sandwich?  And, if the woman truly had intended to pay for the sandwich, she would have appeared embarrassed, and immediately offered up the money to pay for it, thus eliminating the need for the police to be called to the store, the woman to be arrested and the cost to society that goes along with all of that. 

Again, I totally agree with you and understand the black letter law etc. but I really think that there must have been something more to this particular story that prompted the store to get the cops involved than the woman simply eating a sandwich and forgetting to pay for it as the story would have you believe.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Winter--in that event you could buy more apples and have them weigh the apples twice (like what we do with bananas) and you could wash them in the bathroom if need be.  

Germs in a grocery store don't bother me at all.  I do have a story though about a lady who used to shop in the store I worked in as a kid.  She would make the produce boys go out to the back room to bring out a brand new case of whatever fruit or veggie she wanted so she could be the first to pick over the product.  She would buy 2 quarts of milk and put them down on your register belt and if the date labels didn't line up in the exact middle, she would go back to the case and get two more and then repeat until they all matched up.  When she paid you, she donned gloves and fumbled through her purse to find each denomiation of money (paper bills and each type of coin) to pay you with.  She was totally OCD.  We called her the "milk lady".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Some-guy - when is the last time you (or someone you know) were arrested for speeding?  Or for parking illegally?  Fining I would understand... arresting is over the top.  Unless there was a lot more to the story than stated in the article.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Intent, technically, does have nothing to do with it.  But, the officer can exercise his judgment and decide not to arrest the woman for making that mistake.  Just like when I've gotten stopped for speeding, I could have gotten a ticket according to the letter of the law, but the officer decided to give me a warning, instead.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I just don't think that we have the full story.  The husband was arrested too.  Maybe for being an accessory to shoplifting?  If my husband ate a non-paid for sandwich there's no way that I would be arrested without a fight (which would most likely end up in me getting arrested for nothing to do with shoplifting).  Where's the innocent spouse relief here?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IMO. Show IMO's posts

Huh? Where is the story about someone being arrested?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IMO. Show IMO's posts

Oh.. thank you BDCKristi, for the link.
    We all make mistakes. Having your child taken from you abd being arrested for $5 is crazy. Did she try to pay after she discovered the error?? Or was she belligerent and angry to be accused. I wouyld guess "Demeanor' helps a lot is situations like this.

We forgot to pay at the countewr of a sub shop after we ate dinner there (they asked us to pay after.. which is very unusual). As soon as i relalized, I called them and told them I would be back within the hour to pay. When I went in, they said this happened a lot and EVERYONE comes back. Maybe this fmaily would have returned once they realized they had forgotten to pay, too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Some-guy, I agree with you in theory. However, if the store was watching her, and waited till she had paid and was leaving, then why dind't they remind her 'hey, what about your sandwich', or why didn't someone confront her after she ate the sandwhich but put the wrapper in her purse?  Unless there is something missing from the story, it sounds like an oversight, and not intentional. The intent portion is key to making any criminal act like shoplifting stick.

I am 99% sure there is a ton missing from this story.  The guy is a former Air Force Staff Sergeant, but they are shopping at Safeway in Hawaii.  It is extremely expensive to live in HI and this family, who has commissary privileges, is shopping at Safeway?!! Are you kidding me?  My DH is military and there is no way in heck that we would be shopping at a regular grocery store on HI if we were living there.  Even generals' and admirals' wives would be shopping at the commissary in that neck of the woods.  The single guys stationed there actually use "I have commissary privileges" as a pick up line. So yeah, some facts are most likely seriously missing from this story. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I just can't help but think of my good friend who I wrote about in my first post who, while trying to contain her two young boys, one of whom is on the autistic spectrum and having a meltdown, accidentally walked out of the grocery store with her full cart of food she had run through the self-checker but then forgotten to pay for... It would have completely devastated her to be arrested for something that was a complete accident.  But, of course, I know her and I know it was an accident.  Perhaps there were other circumstances in this case that justified the arrest. 

I guess I just do not feel that *any* misdemeanor should AUTOMATICALLY result in arrest.  It seems to me there should be something in between.  There's a difference between making a mistake and committing a crime, even if the law does not care about "intent."  However, I agree that cops can't always make that determination and should not make it based on who the offender is (an innocent looking pregnant lady vs. a tattooed teenager, for example).  I guess it's complicated.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rdonov. Show rdonov's posts

When my children were younger I would at times open crackers and always purchased them. However I have seen many people adults and children eating fruit such as grapes, that are purchased by the pound. I told my kids that was stealing. the people had no intention of paying for the fruit they ate as the walked around the store.

Arresting people is crazy they should have allowed them to pay for the items and maybe a small fine.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrMooney. Show MrMooney's posts

Does anyone consider how dirty produce in the grocery store could be? Who handled it before you and put it back? Not to mention pesticides and your own dirty hands (push a dirty cart handle and then eat a grape). Yuck.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I figure my immune system is in tip top condition for all the grocery store samples I ate with my dirty hands as a kid.  I do hardly ever get sick...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Monitor Kristi, would it be possible for you to do some more research on this story? It seems most of the posters think, there are is more to this story, that is being told in the article.
    Alf made a very valid point. Why would a former Air Force Staff Sergeant with commissary privileges shop in a Safeway? Especially in HI, where everything is so expensive.
    Could it be, that the couple was wanted for something else, and authorities just needed something to catch them on?

And Lostgrouse, my post was not directed towards you, even though it could look like that. My children were certainly allowed to accept and to eat that slice of deli or cheese or that cookie from the bakery, if it was offered to them. But I wouldn't open packages or boxes for them, to keep them happy. Fortunately, it was not necessary. They knew better.

Some guy, if this was a single incident and it truly was a mistake, a warning would have been plenty - maybe with the addition not to come back to that store again. An arrest somehow does not fit this "crime".

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

An arrest does not fit this crime simply b/c it does not make financial sense for the county to proceed w/ a charge of theft for under $10. Do you have any idea how much money it takes to bring a case to trial? It is immense.  I have no doubt that people are detained in dept stores and shops every day for theft, and that they are given a 'talking to' by the police, but that the police do not actually arrest them b/c of the small amount at stake and the vast amount it would take the county to process the arrest and put it though the system. I would wager the miscreants are required to pay for the item(s) and then are banned from the store for a certain amount of time.  That is what should have happened here.  Simply b/c it was the 'right' thing to do b/c of the expense it would entail for the government, not b/c she was some poor pregnant lady who 'forgot' to pay for her sandwich.

Come on.  $50 worth of groceries fills 1 bag, maybe 2, in cheaper parts of the country.  HI is probably 1 bag of stuff, particuarly if they bought milk [which ran $7 a gallon in HI last I knew].  Were you really in the store so long that you had time to "forget" you ate a sandwich before you checked out your 10 items?  I don't think so.  She's playing the pregnancy card for sympathy. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icandolongdivision. Show Icandolongdivision's posts

Please.
    That woman didn't forget to have the cashier ring those sandwiches up.
    She was hoping noone would notice the wrappers, but kept them visible nonetheless so that she could have plausible deniability, by saying if I wanted to steal them, why would I have kept the wrappers right here?!? She had no intention of coming back and paying for them, had she left with them. Let's not be naive.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Some-guy, I have a question for you. If your wife, son, daughter, best friend (or even yourself) - went into a grocery store to shop, picked up a candy bar, ate it and put the wrapper in his or her pocket. Then completely forgot all about it and left the store w/o paying for it. What would you suggest should happen?
    - Pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Why do you hate children, some-guy? Is that sandwich really worth the well-being of their toddler? Really?

Pingo and kargiver - It's 2011. Time for the DHs to cut their own darned apple slices. Heck, my Mum (also European, like Pingo) didn't do that in 1961.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Reindeer girl, why do you care so much whether people show their love for their husbands by cutting their apple slices or by doing 'old fashioned housewife' things for them?  I make my DH dinner to show my love, but he does plenty for me too to show his love. If he let me make his lunches, I'd cut his apple slices if he liked them cut, but he eats his apples whole.  I, however, cut myself apple slices to bring to work.  :-) 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chb2678. Show chb2678's posts

I just think it's tacky. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

THe thing that makes me think the story has more to it is the fact that both parents were shopping together and this still happened.  If I felt sick/dizzy from hunger or my daughter was being cranky and my husband was with us I'd just take DD and grab the sandwich, buy it and sit outside the store and eat it while he finished up the groceries.  All of the examples people are giving of times they've opened food in the store occurred when the parent was alone and didn't have the option of removing the kid from the situation without leaving the groceries unshopped.  I think most of us if we had our partner right there with us would roll our eyes hand over the list and the keys, grab the kid, and haul her out of there. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Do you eat while you shop?:
    [QUOTE]Why do you hate children, some-guy? Is that sandwich really worth the well-being of their toddler? Really? Pingo and kargiver - It's 2011. Time for the DHs to cut their own darned apple slices. Heck, my Mum (also European, like Pingo) didn't do that in 1961.
    Posted by reindeergirl[/QUOTE]

It's not about the date it's about showing love in little ways that add up to a solid marriage.  We're happily celebrating our 3rd anniversary this week, and the latest marriage/divorce stats indicate that's the time that if a couple is bound for divorce it's when the disintegration of the marriage begins in earnest.  Pingo and her DH have been happily married for 40 years.  Seems we're doing something right that others are not, and for anyone to attempt to insult us for it is a sad indication of at least one reason behind those abysmal marriage statistics.  And, like ALF said, my DH does all sorts of "little things" that fill my heart with joy.  When he eats his lunch he's reminded of how much I love him.  When I step out on our always-shoveled walk and plowed driveway after he's insisted I don't lift a shovel, I'm reminded of how much I'm loved, too.  If it's not the little everyday things in a relationship that defines it, what does?  And, I wouldn't be bragging about how progressive my mom was to avoid doing simple little thoughtful things like that for my dad.

If getting with the times means throwing an apple at my husband as he leaves for work I'll stay my old fashioned self, thank you.

ETA:  And, not that some-guy ever needs to be defended, but he does not hate children.  His posts in Parents clearly indicate that he's a great dad, one I admire, anyway.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdc13. Show kdc13's posts

YES...But I ALWAYS pay for what I or we have eaten! open a bag of chips or cookies, muffin, bagel.yes..never something that has to be weighed like fruit (blueberries or raspberries in a container). I teach my children values people come on! everything is a teaching moment! Do the right thing!