Do you eat while you shop?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Re: Do you eat while you shop?

Holy goodness, this thread took a turn.  Who knew there was so much interest in the home lives/dynamics of the posters on the Moms' board?  It's bordering on cyber-stalky.  

[observation: I think RDG's Rumi quote is somewhat misplaced, as she has some pretty firm ideas of right-doing (her way) v. wrong-doing (the apple-slicing way)] 

Also: short ribs were mentioned above.  Bring this recipe to me. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Additionally, I DESPISE the term preggers and would like to move that we not use it on these Boards.  Any takers?  I may be alone in this, I realize, but it drives me batsh*t. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I totally agree with you GC, Preggers sounds like some creepy insect-like phenomenon to me.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I prefer "knocked-up."  Much classier.  ;) 

"Preggers" sounds like something a 15-year-old made up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Rama--why are those carts so awful?!!  I feel like I run into everything when I have to use it.  Then my 3 y.o. doesn't even want to sit in it because she wants to do the "shopping".  I spend time "unshopping" the things she has thrown into the cart.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Do you eat while you shop?:
    [QUOTE]Were you really in the store so long that you had time to "forget" you ate a sandwich before you checked out your 10 items?  I don't think so.  She's playing the pregnancy card for sympathy. 
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

I don't know, pregnancy makes you really forgetful and loopy, especially if you have low blood sugar from being hungry. I forgot a lot of stuff when I was pregnant -- including shoes when I left the house.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

If preggers were coined by a modern-day 15yo, it would be spelled, "preggersssssss" because this entire generation is trying to violate my eyeballs with their extra letters on the end of their FB posts. 

I have young siblings and cousins.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you eat while you shop? I don't care if you 'forgot' to pay, or if you thought you could get away with it. It's still something used but not paid for. This is a fantastic learning example for kids - pay attention to what you're doing at all times. The world is a mean place, there's not always a free pass just because you got distracted or forgot something.
    Posted by some-guy[/QUOTE]
    Excellent parenting. I also punish my child for accidents because the world is cruel. And I punish her for things she hasn't done at all because life is unfair. I tell her she's fat and ugly and will never amount to anything because she'll get that eventually too and it's best she's prepared. And sometimes my husband and I surprise her with a "daddy's moving out" talk because according to statistics we have a 50% chance of divorcing. Those nights are my favorite. I like watching her little face crumple. I'm really looking forward to the day we can get her best friend in on the act -- I envision some sort of cruel gossip scenario, or maybe a viral video. This kid is going to be tough as nails by the time we're done with her.

This story might be the dumbest I've ever read in my life. It makes so little sense. It's a huge misallocation of already limited public resources to arrest a couple and put a kid into the system over a $5 sandwich. There are actual criminals out there who need arresting, and actual abused kids who need help. And it's not generating a lot of great press for Safeway. I'm sure there isn't "more to the story." It sounds like a series of bad judgement calls that snowballed into a giant, stupid fiasco. Some employee has a thirst for power and an overabundance of moral indignation. Some posters here seem to suffer a similar affliction.

I worked as a supermarket cashier for years and years and people handing me wrappers for consumed food was so frequent, it was a total non-issue. We were not only told not to intervene, we were told to indulge these people -- a shopper can decide at the last minute not to buy an item but if she's already eaten it she has to pay. And supermarkets want you to shop hungry, with hungry children. They place the snacks at cart-level to tempt your kids into begging for them.

The issue of low-level shoplifting (grapes, etc.) or "shrinkage" was also noted in our training, but again, we were told not to intervene -- it cost the supermarket more in bad feelings than they could recoup from the regurgitation of the grape (seeing a fellow shopper dragged out in cuffs doesn't put one in the relaxed, comfortable mood to shop). It took blatant thievery -- shoving a steak into one's pants (that happened) for security to intervene. And that was always done discretely, and the offender given a chance to pretend it was an accident and pay for the item.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

No CG, you are not alone. I and I know of others, who also despise the terms "preggers" as well as "knocked-up" (Daisy, I know you were joking). It put a pregnant woman in such a low class; like the untouchables in India.
    I wonder, where those terms came from. Is it an ethnic slang? Does anyone know?
    Pregnancy is a beautiful thing, whatever your skin color is. Let's keep it that way.

[QUOTE]Additionally, I DESPISE the term preggers and would like to move that we not use it on these Boards.  Any takers?  I may be alone in this, I realize, but it drives me batsh*t. 
    Posted by GC1016[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I think it comes from Judy Blume books.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

"Are You There, God, it's me ... Crap, I Forget My Name Because I'm Preggers." 

I hadn't given the term much thought.  It's just annoying, like something you'd announce in a high-pitched voice at a Tri Delt reunion: "No skinny girl cosmo for me!!!!!!  I'm PREGGERS!!!!"

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

BDCKristi--Seriously, you need to get a "like" button. It's practically killing me that you can't "like" some of these posts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

BDCKristi's To Do List:

1) Fly to Hawaii and get the "real story" behind the arrest of the preggers lady
    2) Create Like button

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

[QUOTE]You're obviously another holier than thou like the reindeer girl, and you completely misworded my post. I'm not trying to make my kids tough as nails, and I'm not putting up a hardcore front. I'm trying to teach my kids right from wrong, period. I never said I punish my children for things they've forgotten. My kids are toddlers, that would be silly.  I said that IF they did something like this (as in when they're old enough to know better and have been taught how to be responsible) that they would be made to stand up and face the consequences. The point is that people overall in the last 20-30 years have not been taught that there are consequences to all actions - even those that are unintentional. By trivializing this, you're only showing that you're the kind of person who would try to step in and stop this from happening to your kid or spouse, because you thought it was unfair for them to face the consequences. Sadly, as this snowballs and more and more people act like this with their kids, we have a huge problem of entitled kids on our hands. Very much like the whining babies in the occupy movements who feel they just should get everything without anything being done on their part.

I feel that this post is missing a couple of key elements: the word "nowadays" should be included, at least once.  When Mr. GC1016 really gets revved up about the Plight of the World Today, he always tosses in a nowadays and it's awesome.  It's like being married to Andy Rooney (God rest him).  Also, I don't see mention of medals/ribbons for participation and/or not keeping score at youth sports.  I don't see how you can critique the lack of consequences over last two (possibly three) decades without touching on that.  The GC1016 household is awash with theories about "brown ribbons" and their contributions to a generation of spoiled no-good kids.  Who don't want to pay their student loans. 

Someone come rescue me ...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]You're obviously another holier than thou like the reindeer girl, and you completely misworded my post. I'm not trying to make my kids tough as nails, and I'm not putting up a hardcore front. I'm trying to teach my kids right from wrong, period. I never said I punish my children for things they've forgotten.

I quoted you directly. It's hard to misword a direct quote.

And yes, I am holier than thou. Much.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: #1 --- The moderator should have done some research before she posted the link to this article. Or she should just have asked the question w/o posting the link. The question she posted is valid enough on it's own for a discussion - but not very news worthy.

[QUOTE]BDCKristi's To Do List: 1) Fly to Hawaii and get the "real story" behind the arrest of the preggers lady 2) Create Like button
    Posted by GC1016[/QUOTE]

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Sliced apples? pumping gas? I thought the topic was eating in a supermarket???

LOL

....just a note. The sliced apples, pumping gas, etc.. is called "sweat equity" it's what a couple does for each other and makes for a working relationship. 

I challenge all of you, don't do anything for your DH...see what happens!

I pay for the candy sample, I try one grape, I pay BEFORE I shop if i'm hungry!

Laughing

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

[QUOTE] I'm obviously outmatched and unable to hold my own in a debate with a retired grocery store checkout clerk over the merits of teaching action/reaction to your children and what the long term effects are.

You know, you made a good point earlier about teaching our kids about consequences.  Here's my first pass: 

"Hey, Bean -- listen up.  You're still little and squishy so it's hard to say what you might do with your life, but whatever it is, know this -- if Mama ever catches you making snide comments about the type of employment other people are willing to hold down, the consequences will be immediate and severe.  Don't give me that innocent face, I don't care how subtly you did it -- you knew what you were doing and Mama has rules about behaving like a flaming jerk.  Even on the internet."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE]BDCKristi's To Do List: 1) Fly to Hawaii and get the "real story" behind the arrest of the preggers lady 2) Create Like button
    Posted by GC1016[/QUOTE]
    LIKE!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Roger,
    I like your post. However, I would call it "sweet equity" - b/c that is what  marriage is all about. And I would not take your challenge. I love my relationship with my DH - just the way it is (and was for 43 year). But you are right - this topic went completely out of bounds. - Pingo

[QUOTE]Sliced apples? pumping gas? I thought the topic was eating in a supermarket??? LOL ....just a note. The sliced apples, pumping gas, etc.. is called "sweat equity" it's what a couple does for each other and makes for a working relationship.  I challenge all of you, don't do anything for your DH...see what happens! I pay for the candy sample, I try one grape, I pay BEFORE I shop if i'm hungry!
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

[QUOTE]Actually, you didn't quote a single word I used. You were trying to take my words of the world being a mean place so you should teach kids this and twist them to make it sound like I'm cruel to my kids, but you were unsuccessful. You can continue making a joke of this if you want. I'm obviously outmatched and unable to hold my own in a debate with a retired grocery store checkout clerk over the merits of teaching action/reaction to your children and what the long term effects are.

Why do you hate "grocery store checkout clerks"? Are they not as capable of sophistry as anyone else?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]Roger, I like your post. However, I would call it " sweet equity" - b/c that is what  marriage is all about. And I would not take your challenge. I love my relationship with my DH - just the way it is (and was for 43 year). But you are right - this topic went completely out of bounds. - Pingo In Response to Re: Do you eat while you shop? :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

....you are a very smart and loving wife! Congrats!

43 years of "sweet" equity.....I hope to be that lucky!

Wink

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

I believe this topic (and its offshoots) has been pretty well exhausted, and would hate to see the former lively discussion deteriorate into something less positive. Perhaps we're ready to close the thread?