Do you eat while you shop?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: Do you eat while you shop?

In Response to Re: Do you eat while you shop?:
    Actually, you didn't quote a single word I used. You were trying to take my words of the world being a mean place so you should teach kids this and twist them to make it sound like I'm cruel to my kids, but you were unsuccessful. You can continue making a joke of this if you want. I'm obviously outmatched and unable to hold my own in a debate with a retired grocery store checkout clerk over the merits of teaching action/reaction to your children and what the long term effects are.
    Posted by some-guy

This is what you said:

In Response to Re: Do you eat while you shop? : If my kids did this, they would be made to stand up and take the punishment.  I teach my kids right from wrong. I don't care if you 'forgot' to pay, or if you thought you could get away with it. It's still something used but not paid for. This is a fantastic learning example for kids - pay attention to what you're doing at all times. The world is a mean place, there's not always a free pass just because you got distracted or forgot something.
    Posted by some-guy

This is the part I quoted:

In Response to Re: Do you eat while you shop? : I don't care if you 'forgot' to pay, or if you thought you could get away with it. It's still something used but not paid for. This is a fantastic learning example for kids - pay attention to what you're doing at all times. The world is a mean place, there's not always a free pass just because you got distracted or forgot something.
    Posted by some-guy

If you're going to try to change the story now, you could at least have the decency to go back and edit your post to make me look bad.

I guess I am a retired cashier. I'm also a retired dishwasher, maid, receptionist, secretary, handbag saleslady... I've been working for 27 years, so it's a longish list. But if you want to insult me for any of those, go for it. Maid seems like a good choice.

I don't see why we have to close the thread. I think it will self-implode at some point in the near future.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Stevie Nicks cleaned houses to support herself and Lindsey Buckingham when they were starting out. So I guess the queen of rock 'n roll is also a retired maid.

People have all kinds of jobs, some-guy. Eddie Vedder was pumping gas when he answered an ad for a singer. Look at all the accomplished thespians who also wait tables. People lay pipe for $10 - $15/hour, then later own their own plumbing & heating companies. People go into the Peace Corps for a pittance, and become cabinet secretaries of U.S. presidents.

So I guess your disaparagement of "grocery store checkout clerk[s]" is undercut, by the real world.

Some clerks even spend a career and a lifetime at it, are excellent with managing their money, then leave an estate of $1 million+ to fund college scholarships.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Yawn....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

RDG, you're telling me that the man who built and maintains everything to do with the house and 7 acres of property including apple, pear, and peach trees that he planted, a gigantic garden, taking trees down, chopping, and stacking them for years' worth of firewood, pruning all the berry patches, mowing the lawn, shoveling and plowing all the snow, doing all the tending of the garden, picking and washing the produce, walking the dog for 15 miles a week, installing all things secure - a security system, a metal gate blocking off the back yard (pictured below) , building all things himself - front patio, back patio, granite lamp posts, etc., installing drainage for the garden, re-laying heaved front patio sections, tending the bees, countless things with the tractor and bull dozer I'm not even aware of because, um, I don't have to worry about any of it, updating and improving the inside of our home (paint, installed wainscoting, refinished the floors...), and working and commuting 60 hours a week, is LAZY because I cut his apples up because he likes them that way ?
    Posted by kargiver

I thought rdg might want to clarify what she meant by "lazy" in light of these facts before the thread is closed...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

You haven't answered, kar. Why can't your husband cut his own apples? And why must he have lunch at 12pm on Sundays? Is it against the law to choose another hour?

I do hope he heals quickly, though. Been through it. Sleep and hydration.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Creepy...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

If I didn't already know it was a full moon, I would now!!! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

After reading this thread the other day, I posted the following on CC:  

Maybe others, like me, feel there's a lot of snarkiness (one of the words I picked up from these boards) going on in a lot of the threads. It's discourages me anyway, from posting off the top of my head.  There seem to be lurkers reading, ready to jump and belittle anyone falling outside their idea of womanhood or the way we should live our lives.  Lurkers who read all the threads, including C.C. where we've always had just friendly chit chat.  I'm an old lady and I don't want to play those games.  I don't like those pointed jabs under the breastbone one minute and then a casual "Oh by the way" posting the next.

The last post by RG is exactly what I was referring to.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

I've never been a lurker.

"I'm an old lady" -- Being elderly does not excuse you, tt.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

The reason I suggested closing the thread was the snark was getting mean-spirited, and I don't think any of us likes to see a discussion devolve into nastiness. I think the original topic has run its course. 

Sections
Shortcuts