Do you have 'momnesia'?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Do you have 'momnesia'?

I just read the book "Momnesia" and it got me thinking about the ways I've changed after having kids and whether I have lost parts of myself.
    Can you think of things you liked to do before you had kids? Do you still do them? Do you want to?
    I really want to start playing tennis again. It's been 6 years and I used to play all the time. This spring I'm going to do it!

Here's a review of the book: http://www.boston.com/community/moms/articles/2012/03/16/parenting_book_momnesia_not_a_new_concept_but_one_worth_revisiting/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Re: Do you have 'momnesia'?

Obviously if you've got kids you don't have as much time--especially chunks of uninterrupted, regularly scheduled time--as you did before, but there is no reason  why, under ordinary circumstances, you shouldn't do at least one thing for yourself that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with your kids.  It's good for you, good for your partner if you've got one to have someone who's not All Mom All the Time, and it's good for the kids to see that they will not drop dead if they don't have your attention every minute.  If you have a sitter or preschool while you're doing whatever it is, it's another way to get extra adults in their lives which is a good thing to have too.  You don't want their first experience of being cared for by others to be during an emergency.

I volunteer at church teaching Bible study.  I call it my "work" and when I'm leaving to go, or when I'm doing prep work at home, the kids know Mom is working.  It's a few hours a week plus one weekend retreat a year--best thing I ever did was sign up for it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod1818. Show capecod1818's posts

I use to ski, bike ride and sail.  I know that I can still do all of these things but finding the time with 2 little ones is really hard.  Especially when you do find time you are just so tired that you would rather take a nap.

Funny because I was looking at night life pictures on this site and was just reminiscing about going out on Thursday and Friday nights after work for drinks.  I do miss that as well.

I think this summer I am going to try to find more time to do these things with my husband.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoriTheAuthor. Show LoriTheAuthor's posts

Even as the author of "Momnesia," I have to make a concerted effort to maintain balance between "momminess" and "sexiness" (aka other interests of any kind!) on a daily basis. Sure, sometimes I'm too exhausted to do anything other than go to sleep, but I've also found that by "forcing" myself to find time to do little things I enjoy, I'm more invigorated in life overall.

I don't mean to sound "self-promoting," but I really mean, from the bottom of my heart: I invite everyone to join me on Facebook where I have a daily "find balance" posting, and we moms support one another in finding little ways to be good to ourselves on a regular basis. www.facebook.com/LoriTheAuthor.

And of course, I hope you'll read and enjoy my book, "Momnesia!"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

It's easier as the kids get older to both carve out time for yourself and to start doing the things you enjoy with your family.  I was an avid skier, but it has been on the backburner for a few years.  However, my oldest is now 4 and skiing.  I can't tell you how much joy it brings me to ski with her!  Reading is one thing that I used to do a lot of, but didn't for a long time when kids came around.  Last year, I got a kindle, and read when I find time - it could be ten minutes or an hour, but the kindle is easy to always have around, so I get it done.