drinks while bf'ing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

drinks while bf'ing

I don't think there is a difference between hard alcohol and beer and wine - it's all pretty much the same thing. I know friends that have had a glass of wine with a meal while breastfeeding, and some that have had a lot more (when we've done bachelorette parties and such). In the second case, they pump the alcohol laced milk and discard. And yes, it will smell like what ever you had to drink. One glass of wine won't change your breast milk too much, but it's always best to check with the doctor. The baby could be sensitive due to allergies.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

drinks while bf'ing

Ryans-mom, you are right. I was encouraged to drink beer while nursing. It did help the milk production - especially in the beginning. I would have half of a light beer after I nursed in the morning and the other half after my evening feeding. Later I would give it up. I am not a beer drinker and really didn't like it at all, but I thought of it as taking medicine.
    I don't think a glass of wine now and then will hurt the baby as long as one doesn't overdo it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

drinks while bf'ing

There are some people who say beer helps with production of breast milk. I knew a woman from the UK who did drink a beer every once in a while for this reason.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

drinks while bf'ing

Thanks for the feedback, ladies! That's why it's always good to ask those that have been through it and are more "in the know". SIL is in no way an alcoholic and has always been into wines (loves going to Napa and Sonoma) so all should be good.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

drinks while bf'ing

Question for all of you ladies that are currently breastfeeding. I just got back from visiting my BIL, his wife and their new baby in CA. I noticed several times when we ate with them that my SIL had a glass of wine or a beer with her dinner and she bf's. She made some sort of comment that it was fine since it wasn't hard alcohol. I was pretty surprised. Am I totally out of the loop on this - have your doctors said anything about it being okay to drink alcohol while doing this? Just trying to see what the current consensus is...TIA!