drug testing kids

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from billfromsomerville. Show billfromsomerville's posts

drug testing kids

Drug testing your kids is a neat way to abdicate any real responsibility for their well being and to engender mistrust within your family. Pot residues remain for about three week, while the harder drugs disappear in a couple of days. Kids learn to use the harder drugs to minimize the chances of detection. Is that what you want? You are a parent, not a cop. Send the message that they are too young for drugs, but don't act like an hysterical puritan. Pot is not physically addictive, but it is very seductive. It is not a gateway to harder drugs (less than one in one hundred pot smokers use harder drugs--some gateway), but for many vulnerable youth, it can give them an easy escape from their problems without any lasting solutions. Reach out to your kids. Don't push them away. We arrest over 800,000 people each year for pot. Did that stop your kids from trying it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ElmiraGulch. Show ElmiraGulch's posts

Re: drug testing kids

As an alternate, home testing may simply allow the child to learn how to prepare for working in certain environments. My spouse and I are both routinely and randomly tested for drugs as part of our jobs.  I would rather my child learn early how to comply with the paperwork side of this career requirement than be surprised by it (and potentially caught short) at 18.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You really think kids need to be prepared for drug tests by employers?  I didn't think much of it at my first job, and I'd never done drugs nor been tested by my parents.  I'm sure the thought never crossed their minds, and they were very proactive people.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ElmiraGulch. Show ElmiraGulch's posts

In Response to Re: drug testing kids:
    Nowadays, many employers do some form of drug testing.  If my child wants to work retail at PetSmart, Home Depot, McDonald's, or many other local employers (nevermind work in human services, medicine or defense), drug testing is part of the routine employment screening.  If you never take any medications, then this isn't something with which you need be concerned.  If, however, you are like I am, occasionally prescribed a narcotic for a bad cough or taking a strong decongestant for a cold, it's important to have clear records.  If you keep proper records, you aren't caught short nor tainted with needless suspicion. Learning the paperwork involved and the disclosure procedures is like learning how to balance a checkbook or interact with the RMV.  It's simply a useful skill. 

Sections
Shortcuts