Eating your placenta

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Eating your placenta

Check out this story about January Jones eating her placenta.
    http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/january-jones-eats-own-placenta-healthy-ick-165800669.html

What are your thoughts on eating your placenta? You can eat it in pill form or in its natural state.
    Have you tried it? If not, would you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

Re: Eating your placenta

One word -- ick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OK, I was just recovering from watching that video of a mom chewing her son's food and spitting it into his mouth.  Now, I'm on the verge of vomiting, again...not just figuratively, either.  My mouth is dry, my hands are clammy, and I'm seriously nauseous. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Why???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????  threw up in my mouth a little....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I have heard of it before and apparently it's very common in some cultures.  Personally, I'm fine with just continuing with my prenatals after childbirth for extra vitamins.  That's the point right?  Getting all those nutrients?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've heard of other cultures doing it, but I never really visualized it like it was presented in the article.  The husband who said his wife should just "eat it like a steak" (instead of getting it pill form)...yuck.  And, knowing there are personal chefs out there preparing them like they were some hoity-toity froufrou gourmet food really turned my stomach, too.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Sure, if we cut it up, we can make sandwiches out of it! :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from VTpowderhound. Show VTpowderhound's posts

mmmm...placenta smoothie!
    But seriously, as another commenter mentioned, it is done is other cultures, so if you're inclined to do so, go for it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantownsara. Show beantownsara's posts

In Response to Eating your placenta:
    [QUOTE]Check out this story about January Jones eating her placenta. http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/january-jones-eats-own-placenta-healthy-ick-165800669.html What are your thoughts on eating your placenta? You can eat it in pill form or in its natural state. Have you tried it? If not, would you?
    Posted by BDCKristi[/QUOTE]

There was a post about this on The Stork Fund about placental encapsulation. You can read more about it here:

Some women say it gives them energy & focus. Personally, a good night's sleep (8 uninterruped hours), a massage and a venti misto would work better for me. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

I agree, Kar!  I JUST watched the same video and this was the next thing I came across.  Yuck.

Edited to add:  I didn't realize you had started a thread about the food chewing earlier.  I just saw it now from the main page.  I don't get it at all.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Amen some-guy...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I'm sure both January Jones and Alicia Silverstone feel very bad about themselves knowing the Moms Forum is simply grossed out by their choices.  Good work, team. 

There was an interesting piece in the Motherlode blog (NYT) about this.  I gather the conventional wisdom is that consuming the placenta helps mitigate post-partum symptoms, but I've done no intensive research on this, so I could be wrong.  The logic also follows that animals in the wild do it, so it's natural, therefore good.  Also, I believe it's a California thing. 

Not having given birth in CA while on the run from blood-thirsty lions, I left my medical waste at MGH where they dispose of such things for you. 

This is probably the most time I've spent thinking about Alicia Silverstone since the last Clueless marathon on TBS.  Aaaaand, now I'm done. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

FWIW, the woman writing in Motherlode used the pill form and went batsh*t NUTS after taking it, and felt fine after stopping. 

And if people didn't live out loud on the web, WHAT WOULD WE GOOGLE?!?!?!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

This is completely disgusting. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

As long as no one is forcing me to do it, I could not care less what some other mother chooses to do.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: Eating your placenta:
    [QUOTE]Whatever was the world like before the internet, blogs, etc when we didn't have to be bombarded with some bored chick's latest idea?  Really, can't you just raise your kid without telling the world every little detail of what you're doing?
    Posted by some-guy[/QUOTE]
    I don't get it when people complain about this.
    I'm not a total expert on the interweb, but in my personal experience, if you don't click on videos, photos, articles, blogs, and websites, you *don't have to look at them*.
    I know, it's wild.  Just don't look at them.  Hence, the bombarding ends.  Phew!

Sorry for bombarding you with this information.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarlanStearns. Show HarlanStearns's posts

Why is eating a placenta any grosser than eating a cow's liver or chicken hearts? or getting a pig's heart valve implanted?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I suppose this is better than the couple who buried the wife's placenta near Lake Waban at Wellesley College. Someone found it and called the police thinking that someone may have given birth out in the open - perhaps needing medical attention.I guess they had kept it thinking they would eat it or something, changed their minds and decided to bury it as a tribute to the birth of their child or something.

Really - I'm so impressed by all of you who are so open minded and non-judgemental. I think this, and the thread about pre-chewing your kids food are "out there" to say the least. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Most of the articles on the Moms page skeeve me today.  I'm surprised no one has seen fit to comment on "octomom" posing nude.  I'm not sure that's any less gross than the other two hot-button issues. 

I think the impulses may be different amongst all three moms, but the attention-wh*ring is there in all three circumstances and that's the most off-putting of all. 

But they can all bombard away.  I still ain't clicking. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

One more silly example of people trying to base their actions today, here, and now, on what people in very different cultures do or did, or what people think we "used to do" back in our state of nature.

Pretty much the same thing as I said about the food-chewing so I won't repeat here.  Must be something in the air today, both of these coming up.

However, in any culture I've heard of that includes placenta-eating (or burying, or doing something other than just discarding) this behavior is in a ritual, cultural context with meaning.  It's not just some random tidbit grabbed from Those Interesting People Far Away, like you'd bring home a souvenir.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

On second thought, maybe the next over the top trend will be that to be a good mom, you will have to breathe for the kid.  They'll all be going around getting mouth-to-mouth all day and you'll have to wean them onto atmospheric air "when they show the four signs of readiness" and people will panic about getting them air-trained in time for preschool, not to mention the articles about mom trying to breathe for Toddler and newborn at the same time.

Or Mom Diapers (Mompers) so you never have to leave the kid alone to use the bathroom.

We should start a betting pool on this--what form will the next round of craziness take?

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts