Economy's impact on back to school plans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

We always, always, ease into the school year and autumn by taking a couple of long New England weekends, staying in some sweet B&Bs in the country.

This year alone (Dec 07 - Dec 08) my monthly condo fee will have risen a total of $182/month; my electric and gas are going up up up (for the first time in my life, I'm happy I live in a small unit); my grocery bill has risen by 33 percent (and I am the frugal one when it comes to grocery shopping).

We also typically go picking - apple picking, for example, and invite school chums along.

This year, the apple picking is family only; the sweet B&Bs are supplanted by AMC huts (and therefore no lounging in bed and lush breakfasts), and we probably shouldn't even be doing that.

It's depressing, and on top of it all, Dad refuses to pay child support.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

A news report out today outlined the various ways that the economy is affecting back to school - from farther walks to the nearest bus stop to paying more for school lunches.

How have gas prices and the ailing economy changed your back to school plans?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KEK. Show KEK's posts

My daughter goes to a Catholic school so in addition to the 10% increase in tuition and the uniform changing for the third year in a row making it necessary to replace what still fits, I spent over $120 buying everything on the supply list. The kids have to bring everything from paper to the dry erase markers they use to write on the board. I'm sure that as soon as school starts the fundraisers will start too. With gas, food, and heating costs increasing so much I know I will have to cut back. Any one have any suggestions?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from l923. Show l923's posts

My kids will always get what they need to go back to school. I would always go without something before I'd let my children go without.

I worry more about what they may go without within the school system than I do what they would go without from home.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmatteson. Show bmatteson's posts

My 7 year old son also attends a Catholic school with a recent uniform change. It was wonderful when the uniforms were the same because there was always the used uniform sale, which my son has only worn. Grateful I have been able to do that the last couple of years. Just heading to Kohl's and getting what I can for as cheap as I can (white shirt, navy pants). Also needs new shoes and sneakers. I find they have great prices. Using same backpack as last year and am packing lunch, not buying it, but we didn't do that anyway. Too expensive. We also must provide some supplies, wipes, etc, which will be store brand. As for the fundraisers, we have 2 mandatory ones, which I opt out of and pay out of my own money. I just cannot ask someone to buy a calendar and/or candy when everyone I know is short of $$$ and winter is upon us with HUGE heating costs for all. I did just purchase for $250 on a summer clearance an electric wood burning stove. Hopefully that will help!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KEK. Show KEK's posts

[Quote]

If your kid is not stupid, he will learn just fine without the fanciest clothes and lunch box, especially if you can't afford all that for him or her, then you should certainly be able to afford the time to help him with his homework!! The economy has sucked before, and people still were able to go to school at least to learn.

[/Quote]

My child wear a uniform to school and carries her lunch in a reusable lunch bag from the Christmas Tree Shop ($1.99). She is doing very well in school. Why don't you go crawl back under a rock. We are not discussing whether or not kids need designer labels. We are discussing how to survive today's faltering economy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from loopstah. Show loopstah's posts

If your ex- refuses to pay child support, there are procedures available to you by way of the court to address and remedy this.
    So, do what you should be doing.

I know, as a non-custodial father (who would NEVER fail to meet my child support obligation).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from funkmeister. Show funkmeister's posts

If your kid is not stupid, he will learn just fine without the fanciest clothes and lunch box, especially if you can't afford all that for him or her, then you should certainly be able to afford the time to help him with his homework!! The economy has sucked before, and people still were able to go to school at least to learn.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from erinrita. Show erinrita's posts

[Quote]We look at what they have and decide if it is too small, too worn out, etc. and go from there. Just like we always have. I prefer to replace things as they wear them out or outgrow them anyway.[/Quote]

Amen. With the exception of a few necessaries my younger boys will be wearing hand-me-downs. The got new sneakers and new socks recently so it would be just plain frivolous to replace them just for the sake of saying they're new.