Family Vacation Ideas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Re: Family Vacation Ideas

All I have a a local recommendation York Beach, Maine because it has the beach, amusement park and the zoo. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

We just got back from Myrtle Beach, SC.  It's not hot hot hot but 61 and sunny was a fantastic break from the snow and cold.  We used the indoor pool, walked the beach, collected shells. Just hung out. It was really nice.  This time of year is considered offseason so there's less crowds, which I liked.  Spirit airlines will fly directly into MB but we drove. I know insane. It was 16 hours total but we left at bedtime (DS is 6 mos) and drove through the night, stopped at 6am for a bottle and then ever 2 hours after that.  The surprising thing about the drive was the quality time I got with DH.  We spend so much time talking about the baby, schedules, who's picking him up/dropping him off etc that the long car ride was a GREAT chance to talk and be us for a little bit.  ;)

Actually boston.com just did an article on Myrtle Beach, if I have a second to look for it I'll repost it in this thread.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

Oh and we stayed here and it was an awesome place for kids. They have a big play structure that kids were always climbing all over plus like I mentioned there was the pool.  There's also a kids club with structured and age appropriate activities, plus movie nights etc. I was scoping it out for when DS is older!

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/myrow-marriotts-oceanwatch-villas-at-grande-dunes/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

DH, DS (currently 15.5 months), and I have a trip planned for later this year to Bermuda. We like that fact that it's a short, direct flight from Boston. We are staying in a one-bedroom apartment with a kitchen. The apartment is located about 3 minutes from a playground and 5 minutes from the beach. Friends have told us that there a "Baby Cove" at the beach with shallow, protected water. Here's a link to the place at which we are staying: http://www.clairfontapartments.bm/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Maybe a cruise?  Not sure how fun it would be for kids that young, but we went on a family vaca when my nephew was 9 and he LOVED it.  The kids basically went to day camp all day while the adults did their thing.  Not that you would want to be separated the whole time, but he loved it that way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Kiwi - I'd love to hear about your trip when you return!

For a summer vacation we went to Ocean City MD last year which was about an 8 hour drive.  DH, DD, myself and DH's family stayed in a community development called Sunset Island which was really nice - private pools, beaches, fountains, etc.  The public beach was a fairly short walk but the waves and undertow were much too strong for the little ones.  We had four kids ranging in age from 1-5 and they all had a great time.  There is a nice boardwalk at the main beach which was about a five minute drive from where we stayed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A Disney cruise? 

ETA:  Sorry, just went on their site and the youngest groups start at 3. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigirl627. Show Trigirl627's posts

Cruises are great if your kids are potty trained, otherwise they're not allowed in the pools even with a swim diaper.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soon2bmom. Show soon2bmom's posts

The Ritz in Naples is great for young children (nd their parents)!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

Like CoffeeQueen, we also went to Myrtle Beach and stayed at the Marriott Oceanwatch Villas!  It was great!  It was in a beautiful, separate area than the main "strip" that reminds me of Hampton Beach.  They have two different pool areas, one especially for kids. It's also right on the beach.  We stay at Marriott Vacation Club properties all the time, and this was a beautiful resort.  You should check out Coffee's link, if you haven't already.  We are thinking of going back this summer.  We almost drove, but flew very inexpensively to Charlotte, NC and drove 2.5 hrs to Myrtle Beach, since I didn't want to take the tiny, Spirit Airlines plane that is the only one who goes direct.

I know you said you weren't ready for Disney, but we've gone when our kids were 2 & 4 years old (and 4&6, 6&8, and next month at 8&10) and it's been awesome every time.  You just have to know that you'll only do the smaller things that they interest them, and you won't stay at a park for 12 hours.  There are some nice Marriott Vacation Club properties within 10 minutes from there.  (They all have kitchens, refrigerators, etc.).  Staying outside of the park enables you to take a day or two off and hang at your resort, away from Disney. A good one for little kids is Marriott Harbourlake - they have a spray area and pirate themed pool with little slides, etc.  The newest and nicest one is Marriott Lakeshore Reserve, which I haven't gone to yet, and there are a few others.

Lastly, Sanibel/Captiva Islands in Florida are beautiful!  

Edited to add: And no, I don't work for Marriott, or even own timeshare!  ha, ha.  We just go away a couple of times per year and have gotten into a trend of renting at Marriott Vacation Club properties.  Most of the time we are very happy we did!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bricky. Show Bricky's posts

Thank you everyone for the GREAT ideas!! I hadn't consider Myrtle Beach and it's interesting to hear that I should rule out Disney entirely. I will look into the Marriott vacation clubs. Thanks again!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

Michelle - LOL Hampton Beach....I kept telling DH that the strip reminded me of Laconia on STEROIDS.  Hehe, fun to visit but I personally wouldn't want to stay down there.  Too crowded, loud etc.  We are also going to *try* to go back this summer.  It's all tentative because DS will be 1 and an entirely different creature to travel with.

Great idea about flying into Charlotte!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

Oh and Bricky I forgot to mention, because Oceanwatch has the villas you get a full (little) kitchen and stackable washer dryer.  Great for packing light and eating some meals in.  Both cost effective and you don't feel blah from eating out all the time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Melsau2006. Show Melsau2006's posts

Do you think that Myrtle Beach would be fun for older kids, too?  I have four: ages 13, 11 (boys) and 2, 1 (girls).
    THANKS!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Desi17. Show Desi17's posts

I second the Ritz in Naples! Went when DD was just under a year old and we loved it. So family oriented.
    We just booked a trip to Aruba, staying in a 2 bedroom villa at the Marriott Ocean Club. This vaca can't come fast enough

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

Melsau2006 - Myrtle Beach is a great family destination all around.  There were lots of families at our Resort the week after Christmas (when we went) and the kids were all of varying ages.  Beyond the hotel there are hundreds of mini golf courses (literally) and other attractions that would appeal to older kids.  Definately check it out!

I'm taking a mental vacation right now and googling the Ritz in Naples.....I'm dying to get out of this cold, nasty weather!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Are there any family friendly places in the Bahamas?

Desi, enjoy Aruba!!!  Have you been?  We went there on our honeymoon, and it was awesome.  Maybe you've been and you know, but just as a reminder, it's only 700 miles from the equator, though, so whatever time of year you go, you neeeeeeeeed waterproof, high spf sunscreen.  You'll get a tan even with that.  We saw people who got so burned on their first day that we didn't see them with their group again...oops.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Has anyone ever taken a 1-year-old on a long flight  - overseas or cross-country?  If so, do you recommend an overnight flight or a day flight? 

We're trying to plan a vaca to UK in the next few months to see DH's family.  We used to do the red-eye over but I'm not sure if that would be best for DD.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Trouble - how does DD do in the car? if she is a good car traveller, she'll probably be a good air traveller. Just be willing to spend the extra money and get her a seat, so you can put her in her carseat. I've not taken a red-eye with DD, but she has been great on flights a little shorter than BOS to London (BOS to DFW is the longest leg shes done, I think its about 5 hours in the air.) We did a trip when she was just over 1, and that was one of the easiest we've done with her, because she slept a lot on the plane, and we didn't need to entertain her. Plus we had already travelled with her so we knew the best ways to get through security etc. for us. As she has gotten older, it is once again becoming more challenging, because she wants to be entertained more, and we had the misfortune of her catching a cold on vacation, so we had to return with her all stuffed up, which made her very uncomfortable with the pressure changes. (me too, since she gave me the cold as well.)
    I know there are some long posts about flying with babies, if you search the archives, so you might want to take a look at some of the opinions/hints.  HTH

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Desi17. Show Desi17's posts

Thanks Kar! I am so excited! I can't wait to get out of this bitter cold and snow. I have been before, but not since 2005. I used to use olive oil on the last couple days to get a tan, how crazy is that!?!??! SPF 30 and hat for me now! LOL.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, Desi!  I hear ya! Cool 2005 - you're definitely due to go, again.  Oh, man, I'd love to go, again...those warm trade winds are something else, aren't they?  ETA:  Oh, about the hat.  I wore a wide brimmed SPF 50 hat, and it really blocked the UV rays - I could feel the cool difference on my face and shoulders.  I wore sunscreen there, anyway, but that hat (from QVC) was a godsend.  They don't make the particular one I bought anymore, but they have other ones.  Check out "spf hats" on QVC!

(I mentioned the sunscreen because DH is from NE and had never traveled to a truly tropical locale, and told me he would "refuse" to wear sunscreen.  At my behest, he begrudginglly wore it, but one day, quite late in the afternoon, the stuff washed off the tops of his feet as we walked on the beach, and he got pretty scorched in under an hour making wearing sandles painful.  He thanked me for saving him from what he then realized would have been a terrible fate.)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Look into Chincoteague, on the VA/MD line.  Wonderful beaches (on Assateague), the wildlife refuge, wonderful programs by the Park Rangers,  the pony swim (read the book Misty of Chincoteague) the Fireman's Carnival, wonderful cottages to rent (much cheaper than the Cape) NASA at Wallops Island to visit, the Oyster Museum, little restaurants, etc.  We have been there at least 5 times and loved it.

Sorry to use "wonderful" so much, but we just love that place.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Melsau2006. Show Melsau2006's posts

Myrtle Beach was awesome! Thanks for the suggestion!

We ended up going (drove down with four children - ages 1, 2, 11, 13) over winter break and it was fantastic! OK, the driving part kind of stunk, but the idea of dragging car seats, strollers, etc. on a plane was too overwhelming to me. We made the drive back in one day (16 hours). We made a stop on the way there to visit friends in NJ.

In Myrtle, we stayed at the Hampton Inn, Oceanside.  It could not have been any better. We got a ocean-view 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite with a kitchenette.  The room was perfectly-sized for all of us, was immaculate, and was very reasonably priced ($160 a night).

The weather was in the 60-70 degree range.  The kids took dips in four of the five outdoor pools (2 kiddie, 2 lazy, 1 lap), but spent most of their time in the 2 heated indoor pools and 2 Jacuzzis. Most of the outdoor activities in the area were closed, but we found fun doing other things, like mini golf, a Ripley (should be called Rip-off) Museum, etc.

Breakfast was free and delicious, and varied each day during our stay.

Fresh cookies in the lobby at 5 were a real treat.  We saved money by eating lunch in our room, and ate out only for dinner (lots of buffet and cafeteria places that were pretty inexpensive).

I didn't get to check out the spa or the workout room, but both looked very nice.

I would highly recommend the Hampton Inn! We'll be back!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

trouble - regarding flying, we love flying the late flights between Boston and Houston.  We'll see about the next time we go since our oldest will be 2.5 and it might not be the same, but when she was younger we'd get something like a 7pm flight and she'd be out the whole time, wake up for the walk through the airport and was pretty easy to put to bed once we got home.  It was a bit of a pain for our in-laws picking us up so late, but it also afforded us the ability to spend our entire last day with them, instead of flying in the middle of the day (and frankly after a flight like that, I don't want to visit, I need my space, so I enjoyed getting to their place and going right to bed myself!).  The first time I flew with her she was 4.5 months and I brought the boppy to lay her on and it was great (for her comfort and for my neck!).  We also travelled with her on our lap until 2 years, but next time I'd probably say 1.5 years is the max for that as in a confined space, kids are all elbows and knees!

Sections
Shortcuts