Family Vacation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Family Vacation

Are you surprised I'm not posting to ask a question about sleeping or eating? :)    DH and I were supposed to go away this week for a beach trip to our family's house in SC. Plans fell through b/c of a sick family member and we'd really like to try to plan something for this summer.  We were looking forward to it b/c SIL, BIL and her 2 young kids would be there to help.  We know that we prob. won't go away again till next year's trip if we don't plan something now since I'm a teacher.  Also it's not like it's easy to go to a hotel room with a 10 week old.  
      So my question is do you have any suggestions for places to rent a small house near the water?  I guess it doesn't have to be the ocean, it could be a nice lake.  We don't have a ton of money to spend, so something on the cheaper side, I don't even know how much a house would cost for a week.  We'd like to stay in the area, either NH/Maine/Cape..  any areas you'd suggest?  I know the Cape can be a mad house in the summer and I'm sure it's super expensive.  Any help is appreciated! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Re: Family Vacation

My family (2 to 3 families) rent a house at York Beach in Maine every summer.  I have attached a link so that you can get an idea how much they go for.  Good luck.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

We're camping in Truro this summer.  Camping with a 10 week old probably isn't ideal.  This will be our first time camping since baby.  You'll probably have luck finding something since the economy is leading people to rent out rooms/places to make money and fewer people are going away.  Have fun!  Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

I asked about a beach house search earlier this year and someone recommended www.vrbo.com

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Do you have anyone who would like to share the rental with you?  Lots of houses have more room than you need, and splitting the rent in half would be practical and fun.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Yes, BIL and SIL will split it with us!  Thanks for the vrbo recommendation, now just need to find a location!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

Wells, ME (in between Ogunquit and Kennebunk) is great.  We have a place at a cottage community there that has a bunch of pools and walking distance to a couple of restaurants.  It is about 1 mile to one of the beachs and 2 miles to the main wells beach but is on the trolley route too. 

http://www.seagullvacations.com/

Good luck!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Family Vacation:
    [QUOTE]Yes, BIL and SIL will split it with us!  Thanks for the vrbo recommendation, now just need to find a location!
    Posted by ajuly09[/QUOTE]

Oops, sorry, I missed that in the OP!

I second Wells, it's lovely and less traveled than York Beach.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Using VRBO, we have gotten very nice and *very* economical houses in North Conway.
    It's not the beach, but there are great lakes up there -- a nice thing about some of the lakes is that they have shady areas, which would be good for the bitty baby.  And if your BIL and SIL have the two young kids, it's close to StoryLand.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

My friends and I stay at Top Mast Resort in North Truro every year.  We each get an efficiency room *right* on the beach (as in, step out of the room onto sand).  We just went this past week.  I'm not sure of hte rates in July/August, because we always go before the summer rates jump up.  It's great.  The only thing you may want to consider is that it's a small room so once the baby is asleep you'll need to sit out on the beach or patio (with the monitor) if you don't want to wake the baby with talking, etc.

ETA: VRBO is awesome.  We used it 3 times for our honeymoon.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I'm a Cape girl so I'll suggest what I know...

http://www.craigvillebeach.com/Default.asp

Friends have booked rental homes through this company and been very pleased with their accommodations.  Depending on the location and size of the house it can be very affordable.  I'm not sure what they have left for availability but it's worth a call. 

If you end up on the Cape and want any recommendations just let me know!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeThinx. Show MeThinx's posts

The White Mountains/North Conway area, depending on the ages the rivers and watering holes are a great inexpensive area to spend the day, not to mention hiking for all levels, and maybe a day to do the Storyland, Santa's Vilalge or Clarks. 

If you don't mind the distance Acadia is incredible and York is always a favorite option

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

when I was younger we used to rent a house right on Moody Beach in Maine....Some of the coldest water around but we always has such a great time!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

The kids love story land, so North Conway may be a good option!  Thanks for all the ideas ladies! 

Sections
Shortcuts