Financial Planner

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Financial Planner

I have a "stay away" suggestion - do NOT get involved with Ameriprise Financial.  I am so embarrassed I did and was so relieved when I finally got my $500 back.

After that terrible experience, I didn't try to find another.  It was like going to a used car salesman for financial advice.  Icky.

My advice is to try to find someone private, not part of a big financial "chain."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I have two different suggestions for you:

--My DH and I work with Abigail Lechthaler at Baystate Financial Services. My school (I am a teacher) offered consultations with a financial planner as a benefit a few years ago. Abby has been especially helpful working with my DH helping him to set up retirement plans as a self-employed person.

--I also highly recommend listening and calling into "The Money Show" which airs on Sundays from 9am-12pm on 96.9fm. They have lots of good advice on investments and will do personalized "makeovers" if you call in. They always say that it's not worth spending the $ on a financial planner (either fee-only or commission-based) unless you have $500,000+ in investments. (We probably wouldn't have a planner if the service wasn't offered for free through my work.) The show also has a website that you can check out: http://bestmoneyinfo.com/

Good luck and congratulations on baby #2!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The Money Show is AWESOME!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

kar, how did you get your money back from Ameriprise? We made the same mistake - but I think its too late to ask for a refund. we just made sure not to renew. biggest waste of money, ever!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It was a number of years ago, but I think you only have 30 days after paying to request the refund.  I was told in these exact words that they'd "NEVER HAD ANYONE REQUEST A REFUND BEFORE."  Yeah, right, that's why I got something with letterhead marked "Refund Department."  I should feel flattered they assembled an entire department just for little ol' disgruntled me, right?!  LOL

Sorry you are in the same boat.  Try calling their corporate number and see if they'll help you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

eh, its probably too late (well, it definitely is). I did get one valuable thing from it and that's a spreadsheet that keeps track of my credit card payments so I know the exact date all my credit card debt will be paid off. not sure that's worth $500...but, lesson learned. At least its something.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A private planner is definitely the way to go, no question.  They know their stuff (if they can show you credentials) and don't have a vested interest in what they suggest you invest in (the others might say they don't, but it's a lie).  Oh, and I learned on the Money Show that there is ONLY ONE title that means anything, and I can't remember what it is (great help, I know).  Apparently, anyone can call themselves things that sound like they have a license to dispense sound money advice.  Do some googling to see what the only real title is.

Silver, try contacting the company, anyway.  The worst they can say is no, right?  I bought software to do that for about $40:  You Need a Budget (YNAB) from Amazon.  Love it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---I did get one valuable thing from it and that's a spreadsheet that keeps track of my credit card payments so I know the exact date all my credit card debt will be paid off. not sure that's worth $500...but, lesson learned. At least its something.---

Sorry Silver, it is not worth a penny. You can easily do that on your own on your computer. Takes just a few minutes.
    Sorry, you got scammed.
    - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I think it would actually be pretty difficult to do the math on a large credit card balance that decreases monthly but has interest on each decreased balance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Lemon - If you know the initial balance of the credit card debt, the interest rate, and the amount you'll pay each month, you could make a sheet in Excel or the open office spreadsheet program that would show the balance each month as a result.  It would be rough if you're not familiar with spreadsheets, but usually you can find a friend or family member who dabbles in Excel enough to be able to do this.  Or let me know if you want the formulas.  :)

I'm interested in this discussion, though... I never know if we are doing the right thing with our money or lack thereof!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

ha ha, thanks but I like the surprise.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I use this and really like it except for the time it takes to enter every transaction your household ever makes.  I'm so far behind in data entry it's embarrassing.

YNAB Software

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PlannerMom. Show PlannerMom's posts

hi, your post was the first one I ever replied to, did you get it? thanks, Joanne (PlannerMom)  :)

In Response to Financial Planner:
    [QUOTE]Ladies, I am new to Boston and would love recommendations on a financial planner.  We have a 3 year old and a baby on the way and need to reevaluate our investments. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Posted by dela12[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PlannerMom. Show PlannerMom's posts

I just found out that the post I sent before was deleted because it appeared to be an advertisement. You wanted recommendations for a Financial Planner and when I suggested one, it looked like I was pushing a business. I will tell you that my son is a financial planner and he's intelligent, dependable, and above all else, treats people the way he would want to be treated. His last name is Ryan and he is at Winslow Evans and Crocker. I hope this is not considered an "ad".  :) You may reach me on Facebook. Good luck and congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Joanne

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

While I am not a financial planner, my job deals exclusively with these types of individuals/entities. You want to make sure that you are dealing with someone who has a CFA or CFP designation (Certified Financial Analyst) (Certified Financial Planner).  Don't be afraid to ask for a resume, references, etc.  Also, how this person gets paid is key.  If they want to invest your money and get a commission off of it they are more of a broker.  You want someone who is 'fee-based' as opposed to 'commission-based'. There are also two types of distinctions within the industry.  Someone who just writes up a plan for you to execute is a 'financial planner'. Someone who invests/manages your assets for you is an 'investment advisor'.  An investment advisor should be registered with the state or SEC (Securities and Exchange Commssion). You can look up any business claiming to be an investment advisor at www.sec.gov. Note that a 'financial planner' does not need to be registered, but might be.

Sorry a lot of info, but I feel there are a lot of shady people in this area. (Ameriprise!)  Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer.

16. This post has been removed.