Fishing Hunting at what age

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lindonderry. Show lindonderry's posts

Fishing Hunting at what age

So deer hunting seaon is in New england, at what age is consider okay for a boy or girl to go with a parent?  I'm thinking 13-15. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Re: Fishing Hunting at what age

We went bow hunting, long bow and then cross bow, and in areas far from houses, by age 12.  

I don't think any child under at least 16 should do any hunting with a gun, or use a high powered compound bow. Target practice is fine to develop shooting skills with either.
         Guns (and Compound bow)  shoot projectiles great distances.  I lived in areas where hunters in woods way across farm fields and on adjacent ridges  pierced windows and barns and thin house walls, though houses were all in completely cleared areas and brightly colored.  Most adult hunters have little idea how far bullets travel, and those with poor judgement buy ammo or far greater stopping power than they need.
         Kids under 15-16, depending on ethnic background, gender, and age, are often 4'8 to 5'4", and only their head (if that) is above field brush, black alder etc.  That means they cannot see what they are shooting, and even with colored vests etc.  may be just movement in the bushes to others.
         Also, poor impulse control and the lack of sense of their own vulnerability at 13-16 (or younger)  is a huge factor in the risk for themselves, other hunters, and people and animals from nearby areas.  These ages,  there seams to be little worry from most where a bullet lands, if not within their immediate field of vision.  Like other women in my family, I hunt, for food and subsistence, and we use skins and such.  Too many hunters are into the novelty and not wise use of the killed animals,  most especially young hunters.
         If any  young hunter cannot work alongside an older person to clean, dress, and properly butcher for meat and  useable hide,  any kill, they are not ready for hunting  of any kind.   The ability to be concerned enough to be carefully about safety, and use of the killed animal, does increase with age.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aemcmc. Show aemcmc's posts

no age.  why teach your child that it's okay to kill??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I think age 12 is perfectly fine for hunting.  My husband and his brothers went hunting w/ their dad and grandfather at that age.  Actually, from one of the photos, my husband looks like he was about 10 [he's holding up a brace of quail or pidgeon].  As long as they are supervised, I think they will be just fine w/ a rifle from the age of 12 up.

For deer hunting, I'd probably wait till they are a little older.  There are quite a few wackos who go nuts and shoot at anything.  These are the same wackos who are using semiautomatic weapons. Way to hunt!  Wait till the kid is old enough to know how to safely conduct himself and big enough that it's obvious he's a human, not a deer. Also dress the kid in head to to orange.  I'd start w/ something 'safer', like duck, rabbit or quail. 

Fishing is any age they are old enough to hold the pole.  I think my husband has been fishing since he was 4 or 5.  They grew up near the water, so it was pretty easy for them to fish. I remember fishing when I was about 7.  Again, as long as they are properly supervised, they should be just fine.   

I'm guessing that you actually eat what you kill, so ignore poster 3. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Alf- the youth shotguns a 12 year old will use,  the pellets  they use often around a #7, may be lethal very close up, if you blast your buddy at a few feet, but the scatter and the lightweight steel shot  are such that hunters 100 yards away cannot hurt you or you them.

Since you aim only at fowl you can see, downward short range  short range, or flush out and kill on the wing often with an upward aim.     Even at a shorter distance you are not likely to be critically wounding people by accident. 

Birdshot scatters and falls at a short distance, like shooting a bunch of tiny steel peas.  You are not going to kill a 20 inch high spaniel by accident at much of a distance, and unless you go through an eye or something at 30 feet,  other hunters nearby are safe.

So I would agree with you about it being appropriate at a far younger age.

In deer season, hunters in New England going after a 200 pound white tail whose body is a few feet off the ground (you don't kill with a leg shot)  are aiming more nearly level  with a teen size body, and the height of a 12 year old's head and chest.

The bullets used for an animal that size are likely to be deadly.  And the high powered weapons, and high velocity ammo can travel a long, long ways.     Your kid's shot may take out someone 50 to 60 feet away, or a child  playing in outside their rural home  across a ravine and  100 yds away.  And they can be hit by someone no one can see  who is 100 yards away.

So because of the separation of seasons, hunting fowl and small game with a gun or a bow is far less risky to the young hunter and everyone else.

A very mature, taller and larger bodied teen  who can handle his/her weapon and has had enough target practice to have control  is safer, at a younger age, and now and then 14 and 15 year olds are fairly safe.  But your average kid, even with a parent, handles a deer rifle with safety  (and is less likely to be killed by some unseen idiot)  better when at least in the 15 to 16 year old range.

Obviously, my opinion.  But also, smaller bodied hunters often have difficulty physically handling a kill that may be  150 to 250 pounds,  and I hate seeing killed deer lying where they were shot because a 13 year old and his Dad each got a buck -  and cannot carry them both any distance even sling style  over rough terrain. Something they seem to realize after they kill.

So 1 animal gets left.  God,  what a waste of life.   And what a poor lesson for the kid, that that is okay.  Hacking off just enough for a mounted trophy head and antlers  is not a good compromise, to me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Wag, my DH grew up in Florida.  The deer they hunt there are much, much smaller than the ones you find up in NE.  Basically, they are the size of a good sized dog.  So him hunting deer at a younger age wasn't really a problem.

I totally agree w/ you that in NE, you should have an older teen, who is bigger and has had alot of target practice and hours of safety lessons.  I told DH that when we have kids, they aren't touching a gun till they are 10, and not until they have had lots of safety lessons.  Also, I will agree to let them hunt birds and small game [ie, rabbits] but I draw the line at Bambi.  I will gladly eat any of the venison that DH's father wants to give us [gosh, it's tasty!], but I have a problem [which is silly of me] about DH killing Bambi.  :-)  I also said I'd cook whatever they bring home, but they need to either clean it and prep it themselves or bring it to a butcher. :-) 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from akmom. Show akmom's posts

My kids have been fishing since they were old enough to hold a pole - we have pictures of my son fishing off a dock at age 3.  They learned to cast by age 4 or 5, and at 7 and 9, are both quite experienced fisherfolk, competent at all aspects, both in still water and the ocean.

I don't have personal experience with hunting, but if my children asked to go, I would consider their size, maturity, and ability to handle both the weapon and the field-dressing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

So often talking about hunting, I think of all the parents who would never leave a 13 year old standing by himself on a street corner for half hour every night, yet would consider letting small teens go out in the woods in deer season.
         Mostly they do not do not understand that in deer season other hunters with 30-06 rifles are trying to make shots from 200 yards away (  that's 2 football fields of distance) through a screen of low brush and some small trees.  And any bullet that does not kill the up to 200-250 pound animal and drop it to the ground dead, 1 shot-  that bullet keeps on going and still has enough punch to pierce a human skull for another 60-80 yards beyond in the woods somewhere.
         Even though small game are cute, hard to envision killing them and not  high adventure, parents should realize how much less a hazard the pellets that only travel a short distance are to their child if hit.
         And also, that any hunter firing that gun is so close they can see the whole 30 foot range of the gun, and any young teen out hunting  is clearly in view and not likely to be hit by accident.
         This explanation often makes the concerned parent realize the difference  in risks between the different kinds and seasons of hunting.

Speaking of killing Bambi - it was a very sad and educational day for me when out hunting caribou with family on a snow covered plain, with visibility for miles, I just missed a shot and hit a clump of snow and low bush beyond- which turned out to be a huddle of Arctic Hares,the bullet passing through and killing 3 befor exiting (others ran.)  Seeing this, my Dad stayed with me so I could skin them, remove all the useable meat to be cooked over the fire for the dogs when we stopped for our lunch, the skin preserved for later use.  almost an hour of tears running down and freezing on my face and scarf, taking responsibility for my hunting, making sure all was used and not wasted.

Young hunters need to learn it is not tv or an action video game,  and lessons of safety and responsibility should be a part of the shared parent with child  hunting experience.    Unexpectedly killing large, 10 lb fluffy white long eared rabbits with bushy pompom tails was to me like seeing Bambi's mother get shot in the Disney classic movie.
          Hunting quail or small game up close before something that can be killed from a distance, like deer with a rifle is a good idea for a young hunter's understanding of the power of a gun. 
          And the reality.  It is not like the hamster that wobbled then went peacefully to sleep, and that Mommy put in a shoe box to bury.   First you kill it, then you clean it, and cook it, then you eat it and do something with the skin.  Or you  should not  hunt ever again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---and how can this be fun and enjoyable?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

For those of us who do it for food (and use skins, antlers, bones etc.)   and whose families have always done so, it is like a farmer or rancher who hunt or slaughters animals for food.
        Meat was not created by God on stryfoam trays , wrapped in plastic, in refrigerated cases.  Every meat eaten is an animal  someone kills.  I do not hunt for trophies or bragging rights.   Outside of our regular outside jobs, we grew over a 1,000 pounds of fruits and vegetables (greatest crop apples) and collected maple sap for syrup, subsistance with minimal use of chemical or artificial things.  
        You may not like the process of hunting, but a visit to a stockyard and a slaughterhouse would convince you, a careful hunter who only kills what they eat is often more humane than commercially supplied meat producers, and the animal's life and diet up until the time of death, of higher quality.    Sorry, Pingo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Pingo, I say the same thing about scrapbooking.  I cannot conceive of a worse time than sitting around putting stickers, ribbons and other decorative junk around my photos and then adding cutsey quotes.  But some people like it. 

Me? I rather sit in a canoe and fish for hours.  :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

I love being outdoors with very few people around. Especially in fall and winter. My preference is bow hunting, which is also peaceful, quieter because hunters are not firing guns around you.

Some of my favorite times in the army were when I was NOT doing my job.  I volunteered for search and rescue for people lost in the woods/ mountains.  We were on a base near quite a few group homes for very high level developmentally disabled adults and children -  countryside like Western Mass by route 2.  Never wished anyone would get lost, but I had a great time for 1-3 days at a time walking set territory with 1-3 others from totally different backgrounds.

I enjoy the walking or skiing or sledge riding (with dogs) to get where we are going, whether or not we shoot anything.
        I have seen for myself, polar bears and reindeer/caribou herds gone wild, Moose and red elk,  eagles and hawks overhead and feeding.  Walrus and seals and puffins, and whales with calves 15-20 yards away, with no boats or people to put them at risk.  Wild lynx, cougars, silver and golden grizzlies, Kodiak and small brown bear.  Timber wolves and arctic woods in the far north.  You name it.

ALF is right, there are things one has an affinity for, or hates, not particularly explainable.

I could never enjoy an Ironman type athletic event, the Iditarod, or kayak competition. I am totally non-competative.
        I love these things in relative solitude.  Like kayaking in a water channel on a glacier  in Greenland, and watching a huge ice berg calve into the sea, or exploring the Fjiords in Saamiland in Far N Norway.  My kind of travel, not malls and monuments.
         I love hanging out with old men and women of Arctic  and Native American peoples telling stories.  For much the same reason I collect quilts and baskets and folk music (real, not Sonyized.)   All the stories.

I hate suburbia with a passion - as a place for me to live.

To each her own.

Sections
Shortcuts