Food Suggestions...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Food Suggestions...

I have a 5 year old boy who is having difficulty with constipation.  I need to increase his fiber, fruits and veggies in his diet.  Any suggestions for kid friendly food?  Websites with recipes etc? 
    Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Re: Food Suggestions...

Would your son be into Burrito night? Make your own burritos with sauted veggies, black beans, corn, etc-the fun in making the burrito himself?

Probiotic yogurt? You can freeze it and serve as ice cream or make a smoothie with strawberries (no bananas) and other high fiber fruit (berries, apples & pears w/skin, oranges,).

Then there's the meat balls with carrots and other high fiber foods ground into it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

KAM has some great suggestions.  Another idea for "junk food" is some of the Fiber One stuff.  The granola bars have 9 grams of fiber, so that could be a good snack for after school.  I think they also make pop tarts and I know they make cereal and yogurt and I'm sure there are other things.  Although KAM's suggestions are most-definitely better long-term options, the Fiber One stuff may be a good way to "trick" him into getting more at snack times.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

PlumSmart juice is another thing that can help. I drank at least a glass a day when pregnant, to keep things moving. It has the fiber of prune juice, but is not thick and oily like prune juice. Also it is important to get plenty of water to help keep the fiber from binding things up even more. So the juice helps on both fronts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Daisy-have you had those fiber one bars? Oh the gas they produce! I gave DH one befor we met with our minister for the wedding since he was hungry...I've been banned from buying them ever since! DH was in so much pain from the gas! Though I do think the Fiber One stuff is tasty-might produce painful gas for a smaller kid.

Good Morning America had Rocco on to do a low fat cooking segment and he created low fat brownies, made with black beans... here's the link http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=971227

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

KAM--oh yeah, I forgot about that part.  I have to say, though, I usually don't have too much of a problem with them as far as that goes unless I eat more than one at a time, but I know many people do, so that's definitely not something you want to have to deal with with a 5 year old (although if it isn't the painful kind, a 5 year old boy may be quite pleased with the results ;)  ).  Wow...talk about a run-on sentence.... :)

Your brownie recipe reminded me that Jessica Seinfeld wrote a book called "Deceptively Delicious" which is somewhat controversial, but it is entirely kid-friendly recipes with hidden veggies and fruits in them (i.e. brownies with squash as an ingredient).  There are, of course, entrees and non-sweets, but that was just an example.  Some of the recipes might be a way to boost the fiber in his diet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

I remember as a child my mother giving me peanuts, which made me think to google it to make sure that was a good suggestion and I found this ..
    http://www.gov.mb.ca/healthyliving/nutrition/pubs/constipation.pdf

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

Mangoes are also natural relievers for constipation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Constipation is the pits and runs in my family, unfortuately.  DS was super constipated when we started moving him to solids and found that a TINY dose of Mirelax, about 1/4 the adult dose (as recomended by the pedi) in a big bottle of water/apple juice was great to get things moving.  Now, he gets lots of yogurt and that has been a big help in keeping everything regular.

Mirelax works great to move water into the lower digestive track to make things looser.  Careful on the dose or it could cause gas.

Just as important are foods to avoid until things get going again - apples, bananas, white flour, red meat.

Mangos (as stated by another poster), pears, prunes and prune juice are really good to get things moving.  Prunes also contain a natural stimulant as well as being loaded with fiber.  Some also say a tablespoon of corn syrup in water also helps but a better substitue would be fruit juice.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!  Keep 'em coming.  I am going to check out the Deceptively Delicious book.  He can be a bit of a pain trying to get him eat veggies.  I do have say that since he had the laxative mixed with apple/pear juice he as been eating better.  It's amazing what a good threat can do!  If you don't eat your peas and carrots you'll have to have "the medicine".  The peas and carrots disappeared.  He does like Fiber One bars.  We did try probiotic yogurt and I don't think that worked for him.  I heard about the bean brownies through Weight Watchers.  I'll have to try that.  He does love beans especially baked beans.  My neighbor also came over with some black licorice tonight.  He loved it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I also wanted to chime in again that the Eden brand of canned organic beans is really super.  The cook their beans with a piece of kombu (seaweed) which makes them MUCH easier to break down = NO GAS.  The kombu doesn't make them taste any different and their cans are also BPA free.

The weelicious website has a recipe for "Mexican" rice and beans with black beans, brown rice, tomatoes, cilantro and a tiny bit of garlic and onion.  I made it last week in a big double batch and no one in our house can stop eating it.  Hubby added hot sauce and chicken to his bowl and I added cheese and lime juice and some leftover steak.  DS goes mad for it and licks the bowl!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsgrrl. Show patsgrrl's posts

careful with the Fiber One bars...they actually have a warning label!  How about some of those turkish apricots?  They are almost like candy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from --jess--. Show --jess--'s posts

Raspberries
    Blueberries
    Popcorn
    And Lentils if you can get him to eat them :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I loved prunes as a kid!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Cheese is very constipating, I would cut that intake way down.  
    I have been reading about the "fiber" in fiber one and other similar products and I heard it is not the best for our bodies.  It is not natural fiber I guess, I would stick with fruits and veg. for kids.  
    Make sure you serve the fruits and veg. with the skins on (apples ect) that is where the fiber is.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Thanks everyone!  We cut dairy out except for milk with dinner and are giving him Miralax every day.  He seems to be better now.  The Pedi suggested to keep him on the Mirlax and add in some dairy for a month.  All is well so far.  I do need to stop the Fiber One bars.  He isn't suppose to have snacks at school that are made in a factory with nuts and they are.  He is kind of picky with fruits and veggies.  He won't eat the skin on apples or anything with seeds.  He freaked out that I gave him peaches with his lunch today because they have seeds...Um, it's a pit and these are canned (and rinsed) so there isn't a pit.  For some reason he has an aversion to seeds ever since my SIL made him popcorn and it didn't pop all the way.  Ugh.