From Formula to Milk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod1818. Show capecod1818's posts

From Formula to Milk

When did everyone make the switch to just milk?  My DS is 14 months.  He mostly gets milk but at night I am still feeding him formula.  My question is twofold:  when did everyone switch to just solely milk and did you see a difference in the amount of hours that they slept at night.  I have this idea that formula is more filling so they will sleep longer but I am probably completely wrong at this point.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

Re: From Formula to Milk

I switched DD from formula to milk right at 12 months, but did a combo of both for a few weeks before we went completely to milk.  I still give her a sippy cup of milk before bed (but not to bed).

I didn't see a difference in DD with her sleeping through the night, but DD had been sleeping through the night since 3 months.  If you are concern, I would still give DS some milk before bedtime so he has something in his tummy if you are worried that he may not sleep through the night.  If you think the milk isn't filling enough, maybe a little snack (fruit, crackers) will fill his tummy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Both of my kids switched to milk at 12 months (DD a little before that).  I personally couldn't wait to have that extra money since a gallon of milk is so much less expensive than a can of formula.  Both of my kids took cow's milk fine.  There was no difference to them.  I had switched DD off whole milk at 2 but have recently started giving it to her again since she prefers it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Pedi told me to switch at 12 months.  My twins sleep 12 hours a night and have done for months.  Haven't seen any difference between the milk and the formula with their sleeping.
    Have seen a huge difference in my wallet! :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jettagirl78. Show jettagirl78's posts

My DS is going to be one next week and I have been giving him some milk this week and he seems to be doing just fine, however, he will not drink it from the sippy cup. I know this is off the topic...but how did you all manage to get your little one off the bottle to the sippy cup?

Thank you!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

jettagirl - Is this the first time DS has had a sippy? Or does he drink juice/water out of one? We started giving DD an empty sippy to just play with around 6 months, then started putting water/juice in it a few weeks later. We never gave her water or juice in a bottle. I'm not sure what they did at daycare, but I'm pretty sure they only used bottles for BM or formula. When we switched over to cow's milk it went into a sippy, but DD was already used to one. If this is the first time he has been exposed to a sippy, be prepared for it to take a while. We also kept the bottle for before bedtime milk from 14 months to around 18 months. Now, at 23 months, the last milk before bed is in a sippy cup, but DD still calls it her bottle. And in fact, she calls all milk "bottle" even when it is sitting in the carton in the fridge or is in a picture in a book.

Also, there are lots of different styles of sippies, make sure the one(s) you have work well for your boy. DD likes the cheapo "take and toss" sippies that just have small holes much better than the fancy valve cups. Also, try a straw - you might have to demonstrate it, then drip milk from it into DS's mouth at first, but learning to drink from a straw makes it much easier at restaurants as well as expands the sippy cup options.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jettagirl78. Show jettagirl78's posts

Amy-Lynn - thank you.

I did the same thing giving him a sippy cup around 6 months old...he would just play with it, but when he was really thirsty he would drink...but now, he plays with it and promptly drops it on the floor. I have also tried several different types...but maybe I need to continue my search! I will also try the straw! That would be much easier.

Thanks again.

Sections
Shortcuts