General Doc question and Newton-Wellesley

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

General Doc question and Newton-Wellesley

Happy Monday
    I am at the point where I need my annual pap but we are also going to start trying as well this month.  My regular pcp cancelled my scheduled appt for mid august so I am trying to decide - do I go to her or do I go to an OB/GYN to start a relationship?  Thoughts?
    2nd question... 
    I live in Metro West, Work in  Boston and my hubby works in Metro West.  One friend had a good experience at Newton Wellesley but another has a friend that had a horrible experience but since it is not a direct report I am not sure really what it was. 
    I just feel with our locations Newton Wellesley is a more convienent option and I dont know if I want to do the big boston hospital - as of right now (knock on wood) I am not high risk or anything like that. 
    So anybody with feed back on the NW Hospital - the doc I was referred to is Paul Richer - heard he is eccentric but good.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fallwedding06. Show fallwedding06's posts

Re: General Doc question and Newton-Wellesley

I had a fantastic experience with Newton-Wellesley after being refered by a friend.  Here is the link to the practice I go to: http://www.newtonwellesleyobgyn.com/ I see Dr. Dolinger (female) as my primary ob/gyn, but have also seen Dr. Lerner (male) and Dr. Aaron (male) over the course of my pregnancy and delivery and liked them very much as well.  I am recommending that practice specifically as there is another ob/gyn practices in the hospital which I heard a few complaints about. 

I know 3 people in addition to myself that go to this practice and love it.  Through that practice, 3 of the 4 of us have already had babies and given birth at Newton Wellesley Hospital.  The nurses in the delivery and recovery areas are amazing.  I can't say enough good things about NWH and I recommend it to anyone that asks. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

I delivered my daughter at NWH and loved it.  I had a fantastic experience there, from the pre-natal classes I took (prepared childbirth, breastfeeding), to the actual experience of giving birth and postnatally.  Everyone was fabulous and the rooms were nice too.  I highly recommend it.  My Ob/Gyn was at a practice in Dedham, separate from Newton-Wellesley, but delivered there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

I delivered at NWH, my Dr is Paul Richer and I LOVE him. I would definitely recommend him. Unfortunately he wasn't on call when I delievered and Dr. Aaron did my emergency c-section. I do not recommend Dr. Aaron. he showed no care or compasion for me. I had complications with my c-section during surgery (I started to feel everything) and he did nothing to ensure I was not in pain. I had complications with how he did my incision which left me in pain for months afterwards. After the c-section was done, he never showed his face to check on me like he should have. Dr. Richer did his best to find answers to why Dr. Aaron didn't stop surgery to make sure I wasn't in pain.

While I love Dr. Richer and his office staff, I had such a bad experience at NWH that I won't be delivering any future children at the hospital. (I wasn't thrilled with the facilities at the hospital or the nurses.)

But other people I know have loved their experience at NWH.

Best of luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

KAM, I'm sorry you had such a negative experience.  I'm planning to deliver at NWH, mainly b/c it's so close to home and I'm due in Jan, and have heard mixed things as well, but more good than bad.  Can I ask where you plan to go in the future, or are you still researching?  Do you go to Women's Health Associates for Dr Richer?   Did you see the midwives there?  I am wondering why one of the other doctors from WHA wasn't on call for you?  I am thinking about switching doctor practices, I currently go to About Women By Women, but my longtime doctor there is leaving and I haven't really connected with anyone else.  I am also interested in a midwife assisted delivery, so am planning to check out the next info session at WHA.  But I don't know anyone who goes there, so I'm curious what your thoughts are.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from katenev. Show katenev's posts

Lesal,   same thing with me - my OB at About Women By Women is leaving the practice, so I just joined Women's Health Assoc. in Wellesley for a midwife assisted birth at Newton Wellesley.   (Dr. Richer's practice)..

I had a great experience giving birth to our first son at NWH, so I will be returning when I'm due in Jan.   

Good luck to you - I think NWH is a great spot.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

thanks katenev, sounds like we have a few things in common!  I'm going to a meet the midwives thing tonight at WHA.  hoping it will be an easy transition.  I feel bad leaving ABWB, but I am also very interested in a midwife assisted birth, so maybe it's for the best.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Lesal, I had a midwife assisted birth at NWH.  The practice I went to is in Dedham, but my midwife started mainly seeing patients in Wellesley towards the end of my pregnancy.  She sees patients at Harvard Vanguard in Wellesley (I went there twice to see her).  Her name is Michelle Helgeson and I just loved her.  I can't say enough good things about her. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you want to look into it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

In Response to Re: General Doc question and Newton-Wellesley:
    thanks katenev, sounds like we have a few things in common!  I'm going to a meet the midwives thing tonight at WHA.  hoping it will be an easy transition.  I feel bad leaving ABWB, but I am also very interested in a midwife assisted birth, so maybe it's for the best.
    Posted by lesal

Lesel and Katenev - If you would not mind how has the midwife part been going?  Do you like that practice so far?  Thanks 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

I delivered at NWH, my Dr is Paul Richer and I LOVE him. I would definitely recommend him. Unfortunately he wasn't on call when I delievered and Dr. Aaron did my emergency c-section. I do not recommend Dr. Aaron. he showed no care or compasion for me. I had complications with my c-section during surgery (I started to feel everything) and he did nothing to ensure I was not in pain. I had complications with how he did my incision which left me in pain for months afterwards. After the c-section was done, he never showed his face to check on me like he should have. Dr. Richer did his best to find answers to why Dr. Aaron didn't stop surgery to make sure I wasn't in pain. While I love Dr. Richer and his office staff, I had such a bad experience at NWH that I won't be delivering any future children at the hospital. (I wasn't thrilled with the facilities at the hospital or the nurses.) But other people I know have loved their experience at NWH. Best of luck!
    Posted by KAM2007

KAM - I am sorry to hear of your experience.  Do you know why another doc from Richer's practice was not on call to deliver?  I think I am over thinking the doctor question too much but I hear so many stories of forced c sections at all hospitals I really do not want that to be an option unless truly necessary.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

In Response to Re: General Doc question and Newton-Wellesley : KAM - I am sorry to hear of your experience.  Do you know why another doc from Richer's practice was not on call to deliver?  I think I am over thinking the doctor question too much but I hear so many stories of forced c sections at all hospitals I really do not want that to be an option unless truly necessary.
    Posted by austengirl

My understanding is that offices cover for each other-so someone from your office may be on call when you deliver or they may be from another office. I had a prior back surgery that made my epi more difficult and caused all my problems. Had DS been able to wait a half hour more my doctor would have been the one delivering him.

I argue that no matter how you deliver the end goal/result is the same, a beautiful healthy baby. I wanted a natural birth but my DS had a different plan. Unfortunately we only have limited control over our deliveries your baby has the ultimate say in when and how fast your labor/delivery happens. Find a doctor/practice you feel comfortable with make your views well known to them and the nursing staff at the hospital and they'll all work to get you the experience you are looking for. But remember they have the baby's best interest in the front of their minds-and that is the way it should be. Best of luck deciding. Its a hard decision. But I really like Dr. Richer-he's quirky and blunt and that fits with my personality.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

In Response to Re: General Doc question and Newton-Wellesley : My understanding is that offices cover for each other-so someone from your office may be on call when you deliver or they may be from another office. I had a prior back surgery that made my epi more difficult and caused all my problems. Had DS been able to wait a half hour more my doctor would have been the one delivering him. I argue that no matter how you deliver the end goal/result is the same, a beautiful healthy baby. I wanted a natural birth but my DS had a different plan. Unfortunately we only have limited control over our deliveries your baby has the ultimate say in when and how fast your labor/delivery happens. Find a doctor/practice you feel comfortable with make your views well known to them and the nursing staff at the hospital and they'll all work to get you the experience you are looking for. But remember they have the baby's best interest in the front of their minds-and that is the way it should be. Best of luck deciding. Its a hard decision. But I really like Dr. Richer-he's quirky and blunt and that fits with my personality.
    Posted by KAM2007

Best laid plans...
    I understand the baby ultimately decides how they are delivered but I can always dream ;)
    Well after these recommendations and one from a mom I know that used Dr Richer and a few of her friends I booked a regular gyno physical to "test" him out.  I am interested in the midwife part aswell.
    Thanks again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from madevlin. Show madevlin's posts

Posted by lesal

Hi Lesal,
    I used the midwives at Harvard Vanguard in Wellesley (right on route 9) and couldn't have had a better experience.  My midwife was Mary Baker and I was lucky enough that she was on-call the night I delivered but I saw all the midwives during my pre-natal visits.  I also have only good things to say about Newton-Wellesley hospital.  I had an all-natural birth and Mary and the nurse Peggy were extremely supportive, caring and just so amazing.  Good luck!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from boslee028. Show boslee028's posts

I also go to About Women by Women and delivered my first child at Newton Wellesley.  My long term doctor is leaving the practice, however, I will be switching to Dr. Clark.  She was the surgical doctor on call when I had my unplanned cesarian and she was AWESOME!  I only have wonderful things to say about my experience at Newton Wellesley.  The nurses were just great, the rooms very comfortable and the ancillary services convenient. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

I went to the info session at WHA, and DH and I were both impressed with what we heard.  So I did make an appt to start seeing the midwives there, but I haven't been in yet.  I go in a couple weeks.  In terms of what we learned....  their c-section rate is much lower than NWH in general, episiotomies very rare, judicious use of pitocin to induce or speed up labor - only when medically necessary, a midwife is with you the whole time you are in labor (unless there is another patient laboring at the same time, which would be very rare, but there is only 1 midwife on call at a time), drink clear fluids for hydration (rather than IV), can deliver in a position comfortable for you, encouraged/helped to put off pain medicine, and encouraged to stay home until active labor begins.  all things I wanted to hear, basically.  I'm sure it's not for everyone, but their approach just feels right to me, and it felt like a good balance so I'm very happy I found them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from madevlin. Show madevlin's posts

I went to the info session at WHA, and DH and I were both impressed with what we heard.  So I did make an appt to start seeing the midwives there, but I haven't been in yet.  I go in a couple weeks.  In terms of what we learned....  their c-section rate is much lower than NWH in general, episiotomies very rare, judicious use of pitocin to induce or speed up labor - only when medically necessary, a midwife is with you the whole time you are in labor (unless there is another patient laboring at the same time, which would be very rare, but there is only 1 midwife on call at a time), drink clear fluids for hydration (rather than IV), can deliver in a position comfortable for you, encouraged/helped to put off pain medicine, and encouraged to stay home until active labor begins.  all things I wanted to hear, basically.  I'm sure it's not for everyone, but their approach just feels right to me, and it felt like a good balance so I'm very happy I found them.
    Posted by lesal

My midwife stayed with me the entire time and massaged my back for a good 2 hours while I sat on one of those yoga balls.  I ate popsicles the entire time and had no IV.  I also used the tub at NWH and found it to be very helpful during my labor.  If you are looking for a birthing class or book I would recommend Hypnobirthing by Marie Mongan.  I learned a lot of great breathing and relaxation techniques.  There were parts of the class that were a little "out there" but I took from it what a needed and it helped me get through a drug-free birth. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

madevlin - did you consider a doula?  I am interviewing a doula this weekend, but I'm not sure we need a doula with a midwife?  that it would be overkill?

I also just started reading the Hypnobirthing book, I'm about halfway through and it's less 'out there' than I expected so far.  I think I will take the class, it seems like good relaxation & breathing techniques.  I feel like if there's even a chance it works than it's worth a shot to try!  and thanks for the info on your experience - being able to move around without IV's is important to me, and I hope to get a room with tub too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

Thanks Lesel and Madevlin!  I think that is sounding like what I want out of the experience if possible.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

We were told that you will have a very good chance of getting a tub room if you are planning a drug free birth.  That was our plan and we got a tub room despite the fact that there was a "baby boom" at NWH when DD was born.  They were so full that we had to stay in the L&D room an extra day because there weren't any postpartum rooms available!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from madevlin. Show madevlin's posts

madevlin - did you consider a doula?  I am interviewing a doula this weekend, but I'm not sure we need a doula with a midwife?  that it would be overkill? I also just started reading the Hypnobirthing book, I'm about halfway through and it's less 'out there' than I expected so far.  I think I will take the class, it seems like good relaxation & breathing techniques.  I feel like if there's even a chance it works than it's worth a shot to try!  and thanks for the info on your experience - being able to move around without IV's is important to me, and I hope to get a room with tub too.
    Posted by lesal

Hi Lesal,

No I didn't consider a doula but my midwife had worked with some before.  It would be interesting to see what one offers.  I think my husband was concerned with a doula taking away from what he would be a part of. 
    I really liked the hypnobirthing book especially the history of childbirth.  Women have been having babies without drugs for a very long time and for me having an all-natural birth was very empowering.  I won't lie but I did ask for the drugs but I was already 9cm (I think I asked because it was the fear of not knowing how much longer it was going to be).  My midwife was instrumental in getting me all the way through the birth. 
    I did find taking a yoga class helped with my relaxation and breathing as well.  I went to the free pre-natal yoga classes at Destination Maternity on route 9 in Natick/Wellesley and loved them. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from madevlin. Show madevlin's posts

Thanks Lesel and Madevlin!  I think that is sounding like what I want out of the experience if possible.
    Posted by austengirl

Thanks Austengirl!  It really was a great experience.  I guess I am lucky because everything went according to what I had planned (I guess I should thank my DD for that ;) ).  Good luck! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from juliemom4. Show juliemom4's posts

I was very happy with NWH and feel like I received exceptional care.  I delivered all 4 of my children there including a 34 weeker.  I started with Women's Health Associates seeing the midwives.  My first was actually delivered by Dr. Richer 19 years ago only because I ended up needing a C-section.  I had never met him before but trusted him when he said "it is time to have this baby". The rest were VBAC's including the preemie.  I highly reccomend the midwives.  At some point the practice split and I ended up at Wellesley Women's Care.  Since my youngest is 10, I'm not sure if the midwives are still there, but I loved Michelle and MaryBeth.  I also saw Dr. Beatty and Dr. Doppelt a few times during the last pregnancy because we knew I was going to deliver a preemie.  They are both excellent docs. Good Luck!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from juliemom4. Show juliemom4's posts

After reading through all the posts, I see that Michelle Helgeson has switched practices.  I agree with the other poster and can't say enough good things about her.  She is a very skilled CNM.  With my 3rd child I had shoulder distoccia (think worst ER episode ever) and credit Michelle with saving my son's life and probably mine too.  She is that good.  Not to mention that she is compassionate and caring.  Anyone who is seeing her is very lucky.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from katenev. Show katenev's posts

In Response to Re: General Doc question and Newton-Wellesley : Lesel and Katenev - If you would not mind how has the midwife part been going?  Do you like that practice so far?  Thanks 
    Posted by austengirl

I have met with one midwife and have had an ultrasound so far at this practice - and so far, everything is great.  The ultrasound was very thorough, and I immediately felt at home with the midwife I met and she was easy to talk to.   My 2nd appt is in a few weeks. 

Good luck to you! :) 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from monster7892. Show monster7892's posts

Dr. Richer and the nurses in his practice are exceptional.  We've had three children delivered at NHW, and several friends and relatives have had positive experiences at NHW through his practice. 

Dr. Richer has been at it for a long time, and we always appreciated is calming demeanor.  We were nutty leading up to our first child, and we were lucky to have Dr. Richer's practice...

The staff at NHW has always been very professional. 

Sections
Shortcuts