General Price Range for Daycare vs. Nanny?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Redsoxfan76. Show Redsoxfan76's posts

Hello,

My husband and I are seriously considering having a child so I happened to check the cost of the child care at my place of work and I was floored by the expense - almost $400/week. I am concerned that we can't afford that and wanted to see if that is an average price? I'm sorry if that is a naive question, I have just never really thought about how expensive it would be.

Can anyone tell me what they pay for either a day care center, home care center or a nanny (not live in)? I just want an idea of what to expect so we can "budget" this baby. :)

I appreciate it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

I think you are going to find a nanny to cost about the same as daycare center.  I had looked at getting a nanny through parents in a pinch as DH's work has a deal with them.  It was going to be about the same as 2 kids in daycare.  You will also find that prices vary depending on where you are.  I live in Worcester.  Centers for infant care ranged from 285-324/week.  Home care would be about 200/week. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from amandainma. Show amandainma's posts

When you only have one child, I think day care options are probably cheaper. In the Braintree area, day care centers cost about $1400-$1800 per month. Home care are usually  $1000-$1200 per month.

In the city (Boston/Cambridge), I have seen prices for day care centers go for about $1900 - $2300 per month.

From what I have seen, nannies cost about $15 - $20 per hour. Usually more toward $20 per hour for younger kids, so that is about $2,500 - $3,000 per monts. So it seems that a nany becomes more cost efficient if you have 2 children or you can share with another family.