Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

General Price Range for Daycare vs. Nanny?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Redsoxfan76. Show Redsoxfan76's posts

Hello,

My husband and I are seriously considering having a child so I happened to check the cost of the child care at my place of work and I was floored by the expense - almost $400/week. I am concerned that we can't afford that and wanted to see if that is an average price? I'm sorry if that is a naive question, I have just never really thought about how expensive it would be.

Can anyone tell me what they pay for either a day care center, home care center or a nanny (not live in)? I just want an idea of what to expect so we can "budget" this baby. :)

I appreciate it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from amandainma. Show amandainma's posts

When you only have one child, I think day care options are probably cheaper. In the Braintree area, day care centers cost about $1400-$1800 per month. Home care are usually  $1000-$1200 per month.

In the city (Boston/Cambridge), I have seen prices for day care centers go for about $1900 - $2300 per month.

From what I have seen, nannies cost about $15 - $20 per hour. Usually more toward $20 per hour for younger kids, so that is about $2,500 - $3,000 per monts. So it seems that a nany becomes more cost efficient if you have 2 children or you can share with another family.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

I think you are going to find a nanny to cost about the same as daycare center.  I had looked at getting a nanny through parents in a pinch as DH's work has a deal with them.  It was going to be about the same as 2 kids in daycare.  You will also find that prices vary depending on where you are.  I live in Worcester.  Centers for infant care ranged from 285-324/week.  Home care would be about 200/week. 

Sections
Shortcuts