Gisele's comments about breast-feeding

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCNewsEditor. Show BDCNewsEditor's posts

Gisele's comments about breast-feeding

In a recent story from Harper's Bazaar UK, supermodel mom Gisele Bundchen said that breast-feeding should be mandatory. "There should be a worldwide law, in my opinion, that mothers should breast-feed their babies for six months," Tom Brady's wife says in the story.

Put aside that it was Gisele who made the comment. Does anyone think that a worldwide breast-feeding law is a good idea?

You can read more on her comments in The Names Blog.  Read Gisele's response to the backlash here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Gisele's comments about breast-feeding

I happen to hope very much that things work out for us to bf if we ever have a baby for all the health (not to mention financial) benefits.  However, to make it a legal necessity is ABSURD.  Can the gov't get any more intrusive than that?!  What would the founding fathers (or mothers) think???? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I don't believe it should be a law.  Some women can not do it for many reasons; some babies aren't able to latch on.  Some babies are premature and can not breast feed.  I myself did it, but only for about 10 weeks.  I stopped before I had to return back to work, because I would not have been able to pump at work.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Don't fan the flames of idiot celebrities.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Gisele is a moron--enough said. She'd be much better off if she smiled more and opened her mouth less. Yes, you absolutely cannot legislate breastfeeding.

That said, I wish she and other pro-BF celebrity moms would use their platforms to increase awareness around the need for more flexible time for new moms...extended family leave, flexible job schedules, etc....so that new moms are not forced into a decision about stopping breastfeeding prematurely in order to safeguard their jobs and income. Winter's story above is a prime example. She was a mom who could and wanted to bf and was forced to stop because of work considerations. That's where the attention should go.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I think it's silly to even talk about it. Such a law would never happen, and if it did it would be impossible to enforce. Bundchen has apologized for saying such a stupid thing, and that's it. What's to discuss?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Sarah, agreed.  First of all, good lord.  Second, saying "world-wide law" indicates a certain lack of understanding of, um, laws.  And Reality. 

I'm not sure why people find blanket comments issued by celebrities so threatening, but seriously -- she breastfed.  Good for her.  Better for baby.  She then opined about it publicly, and without thinking the matter through.  She's paid to look good, not to run a brain trust, so whatever. 

I'm not sure what Boston.com's excuse is for plastering it all over the website, however.  Oh, wait, yes I do -- ad revenue. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Ha ha! I hadn't even noticed that she said "world-wide" -- my brain skipped right over it. That's pretty funny. Would it fall under international humanitarian law? Would you still have to breastfeed if you were at sea?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Or on the moon?  If you are a breastfeeding astronaut, must you continue pumping once shot into orbit? 

Considering that we can't even sign peace treaties or enact global emissions standards or anything with, you know, real global impact, I find it hard to believe that we're going to find our first consensus via the breast. 

Or that media outlets are treating this like something to be discussed, and not simply an eye-roll trigger. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I think they're treating it as a way to get women fighting about breastfeeding.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I am amusing myself picturing the enforcement of the worldwide breastfeeding law.  The UN, I guess, would have to be the Enforcers?  Their peacekeeping forces have super-lots of luck in that arena, and God knows it's one happy consensus after another with them, so that should work out fine ... perhaps paint nipples on their little blue helmets?  Too much?  Too literal? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Clearly it can never be a law, but I do think it would be great if everyone breast fed for 6 months.  That being said, I don't judge women for not doing it; there are a lot of reasons why it doesn't work out.
    I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during that interview because I wonder if her words have been taken out of context.  It's not so bad for a woman to say she had an easy labor, but they are making it sound like she's calling other women wimps.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Lemon -- agreed.  Plus, men on Fox get to talk about Gisele's breasts, so game on. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnnFox8011. Show AnnFox8011's posts

I agree wholeheartedly with IPW--Gisele makes women feel inadequate with her breastfeeding law silliness and "my labor was painless" garbage. With postpartum depression a very real thing that many women suffer from after pregnancy, the last thing women need are "celebrities" like Gisele making them feel worse. Gisele--please refrain from your silly comments. They're hurting women!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Speaking of "garbage", Giselle also said that she gained very little weight during pregnancy compared to "other" women because "they" eat like human garbage disposals.Isn't she special!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Who knows if she meant it the way she said it or she meant there should be more laws to force employers to accomodate BFing mamas.  I agree!

In fact, did you know that there is a new law that is part of Obama's healthcare reform act that says that employers with 50 or more employees must provide a private room for nursing mothers to pump that isn't the bathroom.  Also, employers must allow BFing employees time to pump, though I don't think they have to pay you for it.  I learned this at the BF support group at NWH :)  The LC that leads it is awesome!  I have been pumping since I returned to work and do hope to keep my daughter on breastmilk thru her first year.  I wish I had more time off though so that I could give it to her straight from the breast because that really is the best way to do it.  Pumping is second best.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

I am totally pro-BFing (if it works out) but as someone who had many struggles with it I know it just isn’t possible for everyone who wants to BF. Gisele is an idiot. I agree with Kiwigal – I wish she would use her status to bring more attention to things that could realistically change rather than making absurd statements. Maternity leave in this country is ridiculously short and the reality is that many women simply can’t afford to be out of work for more than 3 months. (We don’t all have the millions that you do, Gisele). Fortunately, I work for a company that does provide a pumping room otherwise I would have had to stop BFing at 3 months. But I know that not all women have that “benefit” at work, which is unfortunate. IMO we need to become a more breastfeeding friendly country but thinking that it’s possible to make BFing a law is pure stupidity.

Trouble30 – I totally agree that the BFing support group at NWH is wonderful!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Gisele is an idiot.  Apparently she broke her own "law" because she said she only BF for 3 weeks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from halcuri. Show halcuri's posts

UGH!  I am so glad other women are as sick of this woman acting like she's such a perfect mother.  She gave birth in a bathtub - good for her.  She didn't gain much weight - good for her.  She breastfed her baby - good for her.  What bothers me is the comments she's made in different interviews where she clearly judges other women for not doing pregnancy, childbirth and motherhood the way SHE did it.  Mothers today need to support, not criticism and it's obvious she is very opinionated about what is right and wrong.