HEADS UP! Marley and Me

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amethyst2. Show Amethyst2's posts

HEADS UP! Marley and Me

Hi...

Over the holidays, I had a chance to talk to my sister, who lives in New York with her husband and six-year old son. They thought it would be a great idea to take Christopher to the movie "Marley and Me"...it's rated GP, and is advertised as a nice family film. Well, the ending is very graphic and troubling (especially on a 40-ft screen), and Christopher was very upset for the whole rest of the day. In part, their dog is the same breed as Marley (which probably made it worse). I wish reviewers could give parents an indication that, while the rating may be GP, there are scenes that very young children could find very upsetting. I think reviewers can do this, without giving away the ending (or important plot twist). If my sister and her husband had known how graphic and explicit that scene would be, they would have never taken Christopher to see it.
    Kids a little older -- maybe, that's for the parents to judge...but 6 is too young!

If there's going to be a scene like that -- especially in a GP-rated film -- I think the reviewers should put some kind of caveat into the review. Otherwise, it's somewhat misleading....

Thanks!
    Amethyst

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

HEADS UP! Marley and Me

I went with two other grown women and we sobbed like babies! This said though, having read the book, we knew what was coming. *Spoiler coming up* What was especially interesting was the people at the table behind us in a restaurant afterwards who were talking to their children about the film and it seemed to be a good way for the parents to be talking to the children (who looked to be about 4 - 7) about death. Oops, sorry if I ruined the ending!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ElSmoot. Show ElSmoot's posts

HEADS UP! Marley and Me

Sadly, the marketing people don't seem to care. Remember how "Bridge to Terabithia" was advertised as if it were a sort of a Narnia-lite?

Agreed about the 'dead dog' thing. There's actually a young-adult book where a class refuses to read any more books with dogs in them, because it's so predictable what's going to happen...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amethyst2. Show Amethyst2's posts

HEADS UP! Marley and Me

Thanks, kiwigal and Prill...

My sister lives in New York, so they didn't access the Boston Globe for a review..

Point well-taken...maybe they should have researched this a bit more before going...but still...a scene like that on a 40-foot screen is a bit intense. Even for adults. I have some dog-loving adult friends who wished they hadn't gone to see it.

Anyway, enough rant! I just wanted to forwarn any parents out there that this movie can be very intense....maybe PG13 would have been a more apropriate rating.

Having said that, I'm impressed, Prill, by the way the parents you observed reacted...

Thanks!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

HEADS UP! Marley and Me

When I was a kid, I don't think there was ANY movie or book about dogs that didn't end with one dying. Old Yeller, Turner and Hooch, The Incredible Journey, The Fox and The Hound, Where the Red Fern Grows, etc.
    Pets die. Kids needs to know that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

HEADS UP! Marley and Me

I am sorry that your nephew had a bad experience at the movies. I will say that every review I saw, including the Globe's recommendations for children, warned that the end is difficult, especially for children.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620. Show ml2620's posts

HEADS UP! Marley and Me

Am - totally unrealated, but are you on MFD? Similar screen name, I was just curious...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amethyst2. Show Amethyst2's posts

HEADS UP! Marley and Me

Hi, ml...

What's MFD?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

HEADS UP! Marley and Me

I read several reviews of this movie and they all said it's not really a "family film". One reviewer referred to it as "New Yeller". I really don't know why the film was advertized as a fun family film.