Holiday bonus for daycare provider?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from savvyshopper926. Show savvyshopper926's posts

Holiday bonus for daycare provider?

Hey everyone, How much of a holiday bonus do you give your daycare provider? My daughter goes to a home daycare that is a mother & daughter team (daughter is late 20's). They are both licensed and we are very happy with them. We recently switched over to them in October because our other daycare was a flake and kept closing with no notice (see prior post on this topic). Do I give the provider one amount and the assistant a smaller amount? Do I give one amount with both names on it and let them split it out themselves? Do I just give gifts instead of cash? Sorry if this is a dumb question, last year it was just 1 provider so we gave $150 bonus, but this year I am confused because it is two people. Thanks everyone!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Re: Holiday bonus for daycare provider?

I have no idea. I am also struggling with this- we have 3 teachers (center based care) and a student. I have no idea how much to spend, etc. and chances are, he will transition right before the holidays to the next room- so I buy 6? or how big for each?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Ugh, I have been thinking about this too.  We are at a new in-home place with the main provider and then a helper.  At the previous place I gave a gift card for what we paid for one day.  This year I have 2 kids in daycare and then need to get something for the helper too.  I have been thinking 100 for the main woman and 50 for the helper.  Does that seem good (I pray no one says cheap because I am sort of choking on the $100 thinking its a lot!)?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

There was a thread about this last year. I'll see if I can find it. One of the ideas thrown out there was to offer to buy pizza lunch for the teachers at a center.  I liked that idea. We gave our home daycare provider $100 last year and plan to do the same this year even though DS no longer goes to dc.  We just finished up with her recently as I'm now working from home part time.  I see it as she worked most of the year and deserves something extra. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not ... but why different amounts?  If both people are there full time, then why does it matter that one is the owner and the other an assistant?  In other tipping scenarios... I tip a hair dresser a bit more if she works for a salon than if it is someone who owns the salon, as I figure the owner has incorporated a certain amount of profit into her fees.  (same went for my wedding photographer vs. waiters ... photog worked for himself where as the waiters were getting an hourly wage and the facility was already taking their cut).  Along these lines of thinking, assuming both people work the same number of hours, they would get the same tip/gift.  The owner has more experience and maybe more administrative responsibilities, but is also probably making the higher wage (after she takes out her expenses for her asst, etc).

As for how much, I like the general rule of thumb of one day's fee or there abouts.  It makes sense to me.  :o)  And, no, I don't think $150 is cheaping out... I think that is a very generous gift.

... maybe I am being way to analytical about this ... I always have a hard time figuring out how much to tip for anything other than waiters, and there I just use the 20% rule of thumb unless the service was particularly bad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from savvyshopper926. Show savvyshopper926's posts

I think I am going to do $100 for the teacher and $50 for the assistant because the assistant isn't there the full day. I just thought it was a lot because we just started in october. Ahhh this is so hard. I want to be fair but I already pay $300 a week so I want to go cheap BUT they are caring for my most valuable treasure! I think I will just suck it up and do it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Mine was also in a family day-care, but the owner/teacher didn't have an assistant. I gave her a week's fee, which I also did when DD aged out of day-care.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I have trouble deciding too, but I feel like your situation is a little easier since they are related and run the business together. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

I would love some help on this too. We go to a center and there is two teachers and two assistants.  What do you do?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

You could do gift certificates if you don't want to do cash....  honestly, unless you really know your childs' teachers and their interests, I think either cash or gc's are the best.  As a teacher I have received SO MANY mugs that say world's best teacher... or christmas mugs, or whatever mugs.  I could start a mug shop!  And no, I really do like your child  but I do NOT want a portrait of your child given to me.... really.  Or a pretty scarf in colors I never wear. Hate to sound ungrateful, and of course I wrote thank you notes for everything, but I hate to think parents have spent money on something I would never wear, perfume I don't like, etc.  (can't tell you how many times I received chocolates - and I'm allergic to nuts so most fine chocolates i can't eat... never said anything, but passed those right to my co-teacher - now that I'm married I pass that off to my husband)

Now, I did get a thermos travel mug with the photos of siblings who left our center as a goodbye gift and I do love it, but it's useful and I get to think about the family when I use it.

And to the poster who said her child was moving from one room to another right before christmas, give gifts to his teachers he's had longer and be done with it - no way do you need to give gifts to all 6 teachers!

And $150 to one person?  That is incredibly generous, I think!  But then, I direct a childcare center with 3 teachers in each room, so when a parent gives three $50 gift certs that's the same amount... not sure they give $50, though - and then at our center there are 8 children in each room, so if 6 out of 8 kids' parents gave $50.... the teachers would rake it in!  Some of our parents give food as a gift, like they make really good cookies and give them to the teachers, or something.

And, yes, you can do a gift like luunch for teachers in your child's room or for whole center - ask the director which day would be best for this, and what time, because the director will know when those teachers take lunch, or which days all teachers will be at the center from that room, or whatever.  If I know my teachers in a certain room are having lunch catered for them I will move heaven and earth for them to have their lunch at their regular times vs. making it earlier to help get breaks done if I'm low staffed, whatever.  So I always like to know about those  kinds of things (don't worry, I keep the secret if it is a secret).

Oh, and whatever you do, we also really appreciate it when you write a real thank you note with it, clearly indicating you have noticed something we do. "Merry Christmas, I really appreciate how caring you are with X in the morning when he's having a hard time at drop-off. It makes it easier to leave in the morning knowing he's in such good hands." is so much more real than "thank you for being a great teacher to x!"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

My kids are at a very informal home daycare. I usually give a $50 AMEX Gift Card but since I know if 2 Kids there ill bump it up to $100. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Thank You CT - you just made me feel better.  We are at a center and last year 2 of ds teachers and one asst were constant but there would not always be enough infants come afternoon for an assistant so it would typically be a floater.  We struggled with how to do gifts since so many would take care of ds but not regularly...we did amex gift checks ($50) to the 2 teachers and one assistant and brought in baked treats for the break room.  We could not afford to give each teacher and assistant $150 or even $100 each.  I would love to as I love the teachers but we are tight. And next year with a second, we would need to take a home equity line on our house!
    I think we will do the same this year -  there is one main teacher and assistant for the day they both come in and leave about the same time ds does but periodically he will be moved to the other toddler room when his room empties out so we will do the center treats again as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Hrrrm.  Last year DD had just started with our in-home, so I gave her a nice bottle of wine (one I knew she liked) and a thank you note.  This year I was planning on doing that plus a gift certificate to a restaurant I know she likes, but now I'm wondering about her helpers.  She has three ladies that are there during peak hours, but I see maybe a handful of times/year.  

Hrrrm.  Anything less than $50 feels cheap, but an extra $150 feels extreme.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

DD goes to an in-home day care full time.  I haven't decided yet, but was thinking of a $100 gift.  I won't try to pick out an object because I would have no clue what to give and that would kind of defeat the purpose of the nice gesture.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Honestly, I've given different amounts different years depending on how we were financially and which room she was in (it was harder wtih infants because there were more people and now it's more settled who is a constant for her).  I ALWAYS include a sincere thank you note.  It ry tomake it8 fairly long and personable.  I really am grateful that she is so well-cared for.  It makes it possible for me to do my job.  Plus I know, as a teacher myself, the gift cards are fun but those thank you notes are kept long past when the coffee from the gift card has ben consumed.

So whatever you do, I think a thank you note is necessary.  But I'm old-school.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I gave my daycare provider a card and a bouquet of flowers for Mother's Day. 

The note: "Thank God one of us knows what she's doing.  Happy Mother's Day and thanks for taking such great care of DD.  Love, The GCs"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I am big on presents (not necessarily in this domain, but in general) rather than gift cards. Two of the three teacher's in my son's room have 12-14 year old boys who love a particular museum (we talk a lot about things to do here for kids because I am not from here) and I thought about getting a family set of passes for a visit to a museum or something- mostly because I know that they would like it. However, now I am thinking I should just give cash. Is this a weird idea?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Winter, if you have talked about how they love it, I think it's a wonderful and thoughtful idea.  Not weird.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from savvyshopper926. Show savvyshopper926's posts

Winter, I also think it's a great idea! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Do you only do this at holidays or each time a child transitions?

Since they age out of the rooms to the next one at our daycare a few times a year for the first few years, I keep wondering about this - for his first transition which was over the summer, I wrote thank you notes and inserted a picture of the teacher with DS in the thank you note but with holiday, and he is due to transition up now that he is getting much better at walking and I am wondering what people did.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Some of our parents give gifts to their child's teachers when their child moves on to another room - and others don't.  Pretty universally our parents give holidays gifts in December.  And many parents give thank you gifts when their child leaves the center, but not all do.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sometimesIwonder. Show sometimesIwonder's posts

I truly do appreciate what the teachers do - but I just can't afford to give 50.00 gift cards to each of 5 teachers for two kids = 500.00 - I can barely make the weekly payments as it is -

So my question is - is there a happy medium?  Something more frugal but just as nice?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

When my son was in preschool.  I'd make a big basket of muffins, breads, cookies and I gave that to the teachers that were in the room.  They seemed thrilled with it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Cash is king but I also can't afford the $100 bonus.  I have two kids in home daycare, we are her biggest clients and she's already getting $500 week from us and its sooo hard to eek out another $100 given the tightness of our family budget.  I WISH I could.  $50 is my max.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from alaynac. Show alaynac's posts

I worked at a daycare center for years. I was always appreciative of the gifts I was given. I was also more than happy to get a $20 giftcard. We also had someone buy our room lunch one time and it was great. A $10 Dunkins card for assistants is always nice too. I definitely felt left a little left out when I was a float, but I completely understand that it is hard to buy for everyone.

Winter- I LOVE the museum pass idea.