Holiday bonus for daycare provider?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: Holiday bonus for daycare provider?

Buy them a Honeybaked ham for lunch. Seriously, you can get 1/4 spiral cut ham and feed them for a week.  It's meant to be eaten cold so it should work well for people who have to eat in shifts. We got an "extra entree" for Thanksgiving b/c we weren't sure till the last minute how many people we were going to have.  We have been eating that ham for several days now and it's so tasty.  Buy a ham and some nice bread and mustard and the teachers should love you for it.  I'm sure they are innundated w/ cookies and treats this time of year, and would love a nice lunch for the week. A 1/4 ham, some nice bread and mustard will run you around $50 or less.  GL.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 3sides. Show 3sides's posts

By not declaring their total amount of income earned, they get a quiet tax break, that's their bonus.  There is no way to connect the people who pay for daycare to those who are paid for it, so who is to say they write down EVERYTHING they take in !!  Plus they are afforded several write-offs for using their home.  So I never felt compelled to give them any more than a scratch ticket.  (Some even have the nerve to ask for cash payment.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

oh wow - I've been giving my provider a box of expensive chocolates each year and a card from my child - maybe I need to re-evaluate that based on what you're all giving!  We're at a new center this year and I was thinking of sending a nice gift food gift basket to the teachers, or like what the center requests, making a gift of books to the classrooms we use. Off the mark?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigduke. Show bigduke's posts

We have been giving $40 - $50 to each of their teachers.  Usually there are 2.  Always give gift cards to Target or something similar.  Occasionally cash.  They are always appreciative. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fionaanne. Show fionaanne's posts

Last year we did a gift certificate for a mani/pedi.  We use an in home provider and I did notice she keeps her nails nice.  I figured she could use a little pampering after being with 6 kids all week!  I felt more comfortable with that than with cash.  When we were at a big center we did gift cards to Starbucks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ditka1. Show ditka1's posts

When my 2 kids were in a family daycare, I gave her an extra week's pay. I was really happy with the care she provided & felt that the bonus was well worth it. She kept my kids from 7am until 6pm, so a really full day.

For preschool, the parents mostly chipped in $10/ family to get gift cards for the 2 teachers & the center director. I also gave home made cookies & a nice note.

For elementary school, the room parent organizes the gifts- this year it's $20/ family (suggested, NOT required) since there are 4 teachers in the classroom. It seems like a lot, but the teachers will get a variety of gift cards to be used as they wish. And they'll get cards signed by each of the students. 

I know I answered more than the OP asked :) Happy Holidays everyone. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mimster1. Show mimster1's posts

We have always taken the view that the objective is to show appreciation so treating it like a "bonus" seems out of sorts.  Once you get to public school, there are limits on giving gifts to teachers/caregivers because it separates the haves from the have nots.  

A gesture like a gift card for manicure at a close by establishment, a $20 Dunkin or Starbucks card to get morning Joe and a heartfelt note about how your child is doing and why it makes you feel happy and greatful, have been in our experience easier to give, receive and hear about.  In a group setting, teachers, every parent and and administrators feel awkward - but heartfelt appreciation and a gift that is equal and/or benefits everyone at the place (like pizza lunch /bagel breakfast) really feels good all around

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohmyohmyohmy. Show ohmyohmyohmy's posts

I think the best holiday gift for teachers would be books or a gift certificate to a book store.  Spend the $50 on books and watch your teachers face light up with joy!  Something for her classroom that she did not have to buy that her children can also enjoy!  I am sure any teacher would agree that books are way better than a mug!  Don't forget to write a noce note inside each cover so they can always remember your child!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fraz58. Show fraz58's posts

How about pre-school teachers? Any suggestions? My daughter goes 3 times a week for 4 hours.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Redsoxfan76. Show Redsoxfan76's posts

How about if I don't know for sure how many teachers are in her infant room or their names? I know, sounds terrible. There are two that are always there when I drop off and different ones when my husband picks up (not completely different every day, but there seems to be a rotation of a few people in the infant room in the PM). I am not sure of all of their names. Should I ask the director or just go with a food gift for all?
    Ugh. So awkward. I mean, she has been there for 6 months almost so you would think I would know everyone's names that I see 4x/week.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

Redsox, I had the same problem when my DD transitioned from one location to another. I got all the teachers and assistants Dunks gift cards to say thanks. I asked the director for a full list and there was 1 person on it that we had no clue about. Same thing with this new location. And the time has gone by so I feel dumb asking someone in the classroom. They have nametags but of course it's the ones I don't know who don't wear them. I will email the director and try the process of elimination!  And it's gets tricky because the #s add up but I don't want to leave anyone out. 1 teacher left for maternity leave just as we started and 1 is leaving soon so I may not have to get as many gifts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Seriously, don't try to keep up with the Joneses re: giving gifts to your child's teachers!  If you can't afford $50, you can't. So do $20, or $10. Or give the gift of FOOD!  Our teachers love food - if you enjoy baking, make cookies or brownies or cupcakes.  If you don't enjoy baking, however, then don't do it (as this will just add to your holiday stress, and who needs that?)

I actually really like the honeybaked ham idea, with bread, mustard, a jar of pickles and a bag of cookies for dessert... we have one parent who will do a pizza lunch for the entire center staff - that's 20 staff!   But her child is the first one here, last one to leave, so her baby has more than just the 3 teachers caring for her, she has the other AM teacher, and the other PM teachers.... 

Also, if you don't know the names of all teachers in your child's classroom, then many other parents don't know.  So ask if they will create a list of all teachers in each room and send it out via email (or a list in the cubby).  I also create a list of all parents contact info for all parents - when they enroll we ask parents how they want to be listed (email, cell, work, home ph #s) if they want to be.... you can't do this unless you have permission to give out contact info, obviously.  anyway, the list is sent to all parents so if they wish to get together and do a group thing (sometimes X classroom's parents will decide to get together and do lunch for their classroom teachers, etc) or not.

Must update that list and get it out... and on that list I put all teachers' names for parents.  But we have "biographies" outside each classroom with the teachers' photos, names, and some info about themselves so parents can always check and figure out which teacher is which. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I agree - When it comes to ANY present, give what you can afford.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from move-on. Show move-on's posts

Wow, seriously, I never heard of giving such expensive gifts! I had no idea "tipping" for daycare providers was expected. I usually just give $20 gift cards, and maybe a little box of chocolates to go along with it. I guess if you can afford it, go for it.

15. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts