Home daycare/sickness rules

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

Home daycare/sickness rules

I am hoping those with experience in the area will share some info with me please. I'd like to know what most home daycares use for their sickness policy - specifically how "sick" is too sick for a kid to come, and what does the caregiver do if she (sorry to presume gender LOL) or her kids are sick?

I babysit my nephews, and I am struggling with this so would like some objective comparisons.

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Re: Home daycare/sickness rules

the most basic rule and reason I get called is when they are "not acting like themselves", have a fever over 100 (24 hour rule), and all rashes/infections need to be checked by a pediatrician (except diapers).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

vomiting in the last 24 hours, as well

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My son's school (he's 11) has the following rule to dismiss students.  If you have a fever or you throw up you are not allowed back for 24 hours. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

The agreement my sitter and I have is no pink-eye and no diarrhea. 

Typically, my DS goes when he is sick, has a cold etc.  It seems her kids are in school, so they seem to get sick first.

SAW

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Ha! funny I should forget that one. yes, no vomiting allowed!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Our sitter is a SAHM with 2 kids, so our situation is probably similar to yours. I keep my daughter home when she throws up or has a bad cold (she's never had a proper fever, but I would keep her home if she had one). In general I am the one who decides that she's too sick to go -- I don't feel like I should make it my sitter's problem -- and I have stricter standards than the sitter, who doesn't mind taking her unless she's really sick and inconsolable. I send my daughter over if our sitter's kids are sick too -- by the time they show symptoms she's already been exposed to their germs so there's no point trying to keep her from catching it then. Our sitter was a preschool teacher and a daycare worker and is also an amazingly competent and patient person, so taking care of two sick kids and one rambunctious healthy one (or three sick kids) is no big deal for her (I couldn't do it). When her baby was really little he had a major stomach flu and I kept my daughter home for the worst day of it because it seemed like too much for one person to handle, although she said it was fine. So I guess it comes down to what you think YOU can handle. Me, I can handle one well child with real proficiency; or one sick child with feigned proficiency and an undercurrent of panic.

(Side note -- If she is under the weather -- a mild cold or getting over an illness but no longer actively ill -- I let the sitter know that she can feed my daughter whatever she wants to eat and let her watch movies all day if that's what she wants to do. No use trying to engage and enrich someone who just wants to curl up with a blankie and stare.) That makes life easier for everyone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Me, I can handle one well child with real proficiency; or one sick child with feigned proficiency and an undercurrent of panic. 

Lemon, that is one of your best lines ever.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

My mom watches our kids no matter how sick they are.  There have been a couple of times where I've kept them home b/c I wanted to be there for them and take care of them and/or b/c they might need to go to the doctor.  That being said (and I know I'm going to regret mentioning this b/c it's sure to come back and bite me), neither of my kids has ever had a stomach bug.  If they were vomiting or had diarrhea I'd probably keep them home.  If I really needed to be at work and DH couldn't stay home, I'd ask my mother to come to our house. 

I think it's up to the caregiver what they're comfortable with.  And obviously, someone taking care of multiple children from different families is going to have more restrictions than someone taking care of one family's kids.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

My daycare asks that kids be kept home until 24h fever- and vomit-free.  We run on the honor system -- I rarely see sick kiddos there and I've (knock wood) never been called, but I can work from home when she's sick, so I have an easier time making that call. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Our daycare provider also follows the 24 hours of no fever/no vomiting rule, and has called me to come get DD when she had a rash (noticed after outdoor morning playtime). At that time no fever, but by the time I got her to the doctor that afternoon, she had a mild fever, so I kept her home the next day. If it had just been the rash, our provider was OK with her coming back the next day, as long as a doctor had seen her, to ensure it wasn't anything serious.
    As far as our provider being sick, she has an assistant, and has only ever closed last minute for weather, never for a sick day. But I also have never seen her visibly look really sick either..... SO either working with germy little kids has strengthed her immune system to super-human levels, or she doesn't get the red-nosed, coughing fit/sneezy look I always get when I have a cold.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Our babysitter never gets sick either. She's superhuman. She babysat our daughter up until two hours before she gave birth to her second child.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LCGCmomma. Show LCGCmomma's posts

The daycare center that DS used to be in also had a "3-dose" rule for anything requiring antibiotics (pink-eye/strep throat/ear infection/etc.) They wanted to the child to have had at least three doses of their antibiotic before coming back in. That usually meant the first dose after the doctor's appointment, plus two doses that next day before returning. It came down to ~24 hrs, but was just a different way to say it.

My in-home daycare is much less strict about her sick policy, but generally the high fever, vomiting/diarrhea stuff, contagious things like pink-eye get a phone call/text. She also calls/texts if he "isn't being himself", but is much more willing to let him curl up with his blankie and keep him hydrated until someone can pick him up. She is also okay with a low fever when associated with teething stuff.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

My home day care's rules are 24 hours free from fever, vomitting, and/or diarhea. 
    I forget what the max temperature is... We kept her home last week when her temp was only 99.1 the night before, but then a co-worker mentioned that her day care's rule is that anything under 100 is fine.  We thought she needed to stay home and rest though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

Thanks so much, all. I appreciate the info. Right now I wish I could argue that morning sickness is contagious. Four LO's when you really feel like puking kinda stinks. But at least they are all healthy at the moment! Thanks again.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Since you are the one taking care of them, it really comes down to what YOU are comfortable with.  Lay out the ground rules for what you'll accept for sickness and enforce it.  With family it's often tougher, but rules are rules and they are yours to make.