Homeschool redux

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Homeschool redux

Thank you so much, blushingbride.

I took your advice, and have a call in to her pediatrician about programs for dyslexic children, My girl is 11, reading at an 8-year-old level. She excels in math; science; art; she is OK in music and social studies. In fact - in current events, she's on top of her class, and she is able to process and articulate the current economic crisis. She understands why, financially, we can't move to a better community.

She is a processor. I told her I thought of waiting until the end of the school year to let he know about the private school rejection. She told me she was glad I told her now, so she wouldn't have to deal with the issue over the summer and let is mar her day-camp experience. She had a good cry; so did I.

Your idea is a fine one. I'd been warned prior to creating this thread not to get a tutoring program that just gives the children worksheets. She reads 2 - 3 chapters of her own each day, but more than that exhausts her.

I just found out - after signing off on IEPs all year - that she hasn't been pulled out for reading SPED. She's in the regular classroom! I'm furious.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Homeschool redux

Oh, thank you, ALF! I'm truly grateful!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Homeschool redux

Check out this link for homeschooling special needs kids:

http://www.ahem.info/HSandSPED.htm

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from blushingbride1. Show blushingbride1's posts

Homeschool redux

reindeergirl-

I was so sad reading your post... It sounds like both you and your daughter need a lot of help and things must be scary right now. There must be programs out there that can help you...

Do you have health insurance? Have you tried speaking to your daughter's doctor about it? Sometimes doctors know of such programs that can help, especially with her condition.

My heart goes out to you and your daughter and I hope you find the help you're looking for.

Take care

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Homeschool redux

Thanks to ALF's resource, I learned that homeschooling parents with special needs children may run into trouble when they file a home school plan with their district. The district may insist that only the public school, and not the parent, can provide adequate SPED services.

In fact, the private school told me my daughter would benefit from 1:1 SPED, which of course my impovershed community can't provide.

So, potential homeschooling parents - read ALF's link, and know what you might be up against. The district might say the child can't come in for an hour a day for SPED, and it might say that you can't do this, either. Would the district sue the parent? Probably not. But what it might do could be entirely worse - a case opened with DSS for child neglect; a removal of the child from his/her home to foster care, to get the child back in school.

I would go home again, if I could. Economic circumstances forced me out.

God, these b.com boards used to be so active. But I'm grateful to ALF, and, in other threads, pingo, TruBlue and Tina, for their assistance and support.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Homeschool redux

My daughter has been rejected from the private school to which we applied. It was not a financial matter, even though I was going for full scholarship. It was because she is a SPED child, and the school cannot provide the ELA help she needs (she reads two years behind grade-level, and testing indicated she wouldn't be able to keep up in the required foreign language class).

I'm disappointed - but not with the school. Everyone there really pulled for her. Almost a year of working with our family to find a place there for a my daughter, the faculty and staff worked so hard. I'm grateful. The private school suggested we move back to our hometown or something like it, but I can't do that. I have little by way of savings; right now unemployed, and my ex-husband left us both with a credit rating in the toilet. I looked for apts there right and left, and was rejected because of the credit rating.

Now what?

She can't return to our communities public school system come autumn. She's not learning a thing there; the SPED services are as if they didn't exist. Worse, the bullying is sooooo out of control. Because there are so many undocumented parents, who are working, the School Department hesistates to get the parents involved - it might bring attention to them, and families could be broken up; jobs could be loss. I understand. I also understand that my daughter is at risk of being bullied. She is taking martial arts, but won't use it to defend herself. She is a kind and vulnerable child.

So, I'll be homeschooling come autumn, until I can figure something else out. I can't do math to save my life, but I hope to exchange ELA and social studies tutoring for a math tutor. All the other subjects will fall into place - I have the skills and experience. The local Y has a special homeschool group, three days a week (swimming; gymnastics; something else, I forget what) to compensant for school gym.

But - I'm clueless about what to do about SPED. Can a city be forced - by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts - to provide it to homeschooled children? I know that private school children can get city/town SPED services if the private school doesn't have it (for example: a certain religious Brookline day school sends its kids to a nearby elementary school; adults from the day school supervise the to-and-from transportation).

Also - I'm broke. Mine is too young to leave alone while I go to work (if I can find work). I'm also clueless about what kind of cottage industry work I could take in at home. An online medical transcriptionist course - reputable, I know someone who did it and now free-lancers for various physician practices - takes 18 months to complete, and that's if their schedule is followed and the student doesn't fall behind. I have enough money to last through Sept., that's it.

The homeschooling groups on meetup dot come are closed to new members. I just started one, in an effort to get ideas and to help others. I posted:

Trade one subject for another; take field trips for fun and learning; share tips on advocating on your child's behalf to your town or city for special needs sections such as ELA or math (or any subject).

Children meet for playdates in a home or other creative environment. Share museum memberships for family or homeschool-wide field trips.

Help other parents learn about homeschool teaching materials, and about buying them in bulk.

Talk about what homeschooling can provide that public schools can't - and what to do if you can't afford or your application has been rejected from a private school.

Is your 'tween or teenager ready for freshman-level college courses if not classed as a gifted child? Issues regarding enrolling your 'tween or teen in college-level classes that you yourself are taking.

What to do when the money runs out - how to homeschool when there's no income coming in; pay the bills; take on a part-time job (and what to do about child supervision if the babysitter costs as much as what you bring home); tips for looking at "home-work" (cottage industry) for the homeschooling parent with few or no funds, whose child is too young to be left alone while the parent goes out to work.

The child's social development - preventing social isolation for the homeschooled child.

How to prepare the homeschooled child raised in a genteel, kind environment for the prejudices and pressures outside the home.

Issues of religion - for the pious amongst homeschoolers, when it is and isn't appropriate to find a homeschooling group for child's classes that the parent can't provide.

Special needs might be emphasized for children who would get SPED services in a school, but not the entire focus of this group.

Meet at individual homes, or for coffee and snacks out. For many of the meetings, children will be welcome to play with each other while the adults talk.

I welcome diversity. This mother has English (native language) and French (second language), and can tutor in the following subjects: ELA; social studies; science; visual and performing arts; folklore and mythology; comparative religion; musicology.

No drugs. No alcohol. No weapons.

Dietary restrictions of other homeschool families will be respected.

Malden-Lynn-Revere-Everett-Swampscott-Marblehead-Nahant-Salem-Wakefield-Reading-Medford.

Come join this group, a loving and caring child-centered environment.

I check for SORI.

------

Any ideas, folks? And please - let me know if I can assist you, too.

My heart is broken on behalf of my child. I have only two hours to finish crying before I go get her from school.

Oh, to be a parent who didn't give a rat's a** about her child! But I could never be that.

Right now, my main issues are money and ELA/SPED.

Thank you,

rg