horseback riding lesson?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: horseback riding lesson?

You'll probably have to drive about 30 minutes.  I'd try Sudbury, Marlborough, that area.  I know there are places there for riding lessons, and a quick google turned this up, but I can't vouch for it or even know if it's current.  http://www.sudbury.ma.us/news.asp?id=1275

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

horseback riding lesson?

Hi everyone! I wasn't sure where to post this question. My 13 year old daughter would like to take horseback riding lessons,and I have no idea where to find a place.She wants to learn to ride and also learn how to take care of them. We live in Boston.Any ideas? Thanks,beastsgirl

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi bg,

My 15 yr. old granddaughter goes to a wonderful place in Georgetown, I think it is, or next town.  That is probably too far and in the wrong direction for you, but if you're at all interested I will get the name/number from my son.  I have to tell you what a wonderful experience it has been for her.  She's been going since she was about 11 and loves every aspect of being around the horses.  She spends every spare minute at the "barn", riding, grooming the horses, cleaning the barn, anything to be near them.  I know the time and money sacrificed to give her the opportunity of riding lessons in the beginning, put a strain on their family budget, but she has found her passion - how many of us can say that?  And this year she was accepted into Essex Aggie, no small feat these days with over 300 applicants for 127 openings.  This school has opened up new horizons, since the first year they participate in each school's specialty, giving them a chance to get a feel for other specialties among which are cooking, horticulture, photography, and see where their true interests and strengths lie.  She is also seeing how her love of horses can combine with other careers such as photography.  She has been a straight "A" excelled classes student all through school and I'm so glad her parents listened to her plea to go there rather than our town high school. I'm so glad you are finding a way to allow your daughter the opportunity to experience her interest in horses.  Lucky girl, she is.  Good luck.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CFQ. Show CFQ's posts

There are also a lot of stables in the Medfield/Norfolk/Dover area - I don't know of any that are closer to Boston. Depending on where you live in Boston, it would take 35-45 minutes to get to the area.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Briggs riding stable is in Hanover if you want the south shore instead.  There are also riding stables every 5 feet around the Bridgewater/Plympton/Kingston area.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

If you're going the South Shore route, my daughter rides at Creek Crossing Farm in Hingham (www.creekcrossingfarm.net/).  Their lesson prices are actually a little less than at other stables, and we just adore the owners and instructors. Can't say enough about them!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I ride at Springtide Farm in Boxboro which is a straight shot up Rt 1 onto 95N so depending on where you are in Boston, around 30-40 minutes.  There are two trainers, Kathy Borylo who is the owner and Stephanie Andreottola.  Both are wonderful and I recommend asking for Steph, she's my trainer and great with teens, I can't say enough wonderful things about her.

The barn is a professional stable (they have over 50+ years of experience between the two of them) and they do lots of shows and have wonderful school horses (and ponies) to get acquainted on.  They also have a summer riding camp program which is a great way to get introduced into the horsy world.

Riding can get very expensive so for your first trip, a snug fitting bike helmet and sturdy shoes with a small heel with snug fitting jeans will do for your first couple of lessons.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I grew up North Shore, so I'll echo the Georgetown mention and suggest you add Boxford/Topsfield to the list.  I think there are barns who offer lessons up there.  Not sure how it compares drive-time wise, but it's pretty much a straight shot up 95N. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

BG, I double checked with my son and the stable is in Groveland.  It sounds as tho there may be ones closer to you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rule-Number-3. Show Rule-Number-3's posts

OP, I found this link, hope it helps:  http://www.newhorse.com/page/ridinglessons/b.511.g.4886.html

Thanks for the idea...I think I'll check out some lessons for my 5yr old twins!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Anywhere closer to Reading than Boxboro/Topsfield for my 9 yr old niece? South Shore would be too much for my sister - they are moving there in July and she'd love to continue her riding lessons, I'm sure!