How do you keep your kids safe around dogs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

According to this story, about 4.7 million people are bitten by dogs each year and more than half of the victims are children.

http://www.boston.com/community/pets/articles/2012/05/17/leading_insurer_pays_109m_for_dog_bite_claims/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

Re: How do you keep your kids safe around dogs?

I teach them how to behave around dogs.  Speak quietly, move slowly, be gentle, no surprises, and ask permission from the owner before approaching the dog.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I hate dogs and keep my children as far away from them as possible. And it really makes me angry when I steer my kids away from dogs and the owner says, "He's really friendly." or some such other nonsense. You can never tell how a dog will react. Children have been severely injured by their own family pets.
    When they are older I'll use Micromom's approach. Speak softly, be gentle etc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

I what Micromom suggests, and also remind kids to never put their faces in the dog's face, never bother a dog while it's eating, and for gosh sake, don't pull on the fuzzy long tail! I love dogs to bunches (always had them growing up and all friends' dogs strangely gravitate toward me), but little kids can think they're just big stuffed animals -- not real ones. Kids need to learn that they are not -- hopefully, not the hard way.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from The Original Jeeps. Show The Original Jeeps's posts

I raised my son in NYC, where everywhere you turn there is someone walking a dog. So he was taught very early to always ask before petting a dog, keep away from their face and pet on the upper back, unless owner suggests otherwise. It was a good way to instill proper dog manners. It must be a bit more difficult in the suburbs where you may not see as many people walking their dogs or have access to so many dogs. We also had a boxer and when I walked him,  as the owner and I would put myself between the dog and the 'running to pet it' child, because though he was friendly, he liked to jump, and it didnt matter that it was a small child. I would also make sure Otto (Boxer) would sit, before allowing a child to pet his back. If I  knew Otto was being particularly rambunctious, I would just tell the child/adult another time when he wasnt so hyper.

Really it comes down to the owners and the parents. Both sides have to be responsible.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

We have had our dog for longer than we have been parents, so our daughter has always been taught how to behave around an animal many times her size. Fortunately, our dog is very gentle, and our daughter is pretty good at listening when we tell her things like no pulling the dog's hair, so there hasn't been any trouble. But we also have made sure to tell her not to approach a strange dog without both our permission and the owner's permission. We also teach her to approach slowly (and quietly), and hold out her hand palm down for sniffing before trying to pet.

As for other parents when we are out with the dog, it can be tricky when we encounter parents who haven't taught their kids good "dog meeting" manners. We have had to leave the park quickly when a family came over, and wouldn't keep their toddler away from our dogs tail, then got all huffy when their child got knocked on his bum as our dog tried to turn around away from the kid. No one was hurt, but we just didn't want to be in that situation. 

My biggest difficulty right now is teaching our daughter that you can't treat cats the same as dogs - our good friend has an elderly cat, and teaching her that cats don't like strong pats on the side like dogs do is tricky, and comes with much more danger of being scratched/bitten.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Same here - my ds is only 2 but has been around dogs from birth ( I think like water a respect and not fear of dogs is important because you can not control all the situations where they will encounter dogs) We try to always keep him at arms length until we know a dog is friendly, not get into the dogs face, not pull tail and gently pet.  It is hard because my sister's dog and one of our cats essentially ask to be beaten up by him ie: when he tries to lay on them they dont move away when freed but rub up against him more.  It is pretty cute but hard to teach a 24 month old the difference between these two and others.  We just always try to repeat the rules everytime there is a dog.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Our LO isn't here yet, but this is something we are taking into consideration as we plan for her arrival. We also took it into consideration when we adopted our dog 3 years ago, long before kids would be in the picture but we knew we'd have them. We made sure our dog was good with kids, and he passed the adoption group's "test" for temperament.

Now that we are preparing, we let him sniff the baby things and explore the room, so that the arrival won't be as much of a giant surprise and his behavior hopefully won't go off the wall with the change.

Once LO is here, she will never be left alone with him, and we have a gate to use to keep him out of her room when necessary. He also has his own space to go to (crate) when he wants. As LO gets older we will teach her how to act properly around our dog and others. I agree with PP that teaching respect and not fear is much more important.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from racheliz1818. Show racheliz1818's posts

misslily, have you ever stopped to consider how your ignorance may impede your childrens' growth and acceptance toward animals? dogs can be wonderful members of a family as well as a source of comfort for both children and adults. teaching your children dogs are bad and keeping them away could not only cost them a wonderful companion down the road, but also a great opportunity to learn responsibility. if an owner says a dog is friendly, they are - no owner is going to say that if the dog isn't, especially in this day and age with lawsuits left and right. you may not want to own a dog, but please don't teach your children to avoid them. you're doing them a disservice.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thalesofmiletus. Show thalesofmiletus's posts

In Response to Re: How do you keep your kids safe around dogs?:
    if an owner says a dog is friendly, they are - no owner is going to say that if the dog isn't, especially in this day and age with lawsuits left and right.
    Posted by racheliz1818

There's absolutely no evidence that this is true. Quite the contrary. For example, from this study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18980492

"There was a general lack of knowledge regarding dog behavior and safety practices for dog-child interactions....Results suggested that dog owners frequently had only limited knowledge of dog behavior and often were unaware of factors that increased the risk of dog bites to children."

I don't like dogs. Others do, and I accept that, but the only disservice done to my kids is when they can't safely play in public places thanks to dog owners who believe it is impossible that their 'friendly' dog can do harm. If what you said was true, 600k kids wouldn't be treated for dog bites every year, and half of all kids wouldn't be bitten by dogs during their childhood.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxygirl123. Show soxygirl123's posts

i have a dog & ya know what?? she IS friendly & i tell people that all the time -- what am i supposed to do... lie?? kids dart out of playgrounds / run up to us at the beach ALL the time to pet her (while the parent is often no where to be seen). usually the kids have been taught well; ask if she's friendly / ask if they can pet her, put their hand out to be sniffed, pat her -- then go about playing.

The best way to prevent a dog-bite is to educate kids; & obviously dog owners need to be responsible too.

http://www.americanhumane.org/animals/stop-animal-abuse/fact-sheets/dog-bites.html

Sections
Shortcuts