How do you multitask?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

How do you multitask?

Did you read this story about multitasking between working moms and dads? 
    http://bo.st/tXahDf
    The study found "working moms spend more time than working dads whipsawing among home-related tasks."

Is this true in your family?
    How do you multitask differently than your spouse/significant other?

I find myself multitasking all the time. It's like a sickness. For example, last night as my daughter played in the tub, I took the opportunity to clean the bathroom. While watching TV I will fold laundry or write thank you cards or return emails, etc. I get things done, but sometimes I wonder if I am ever truly relaxed. My husband is not this way at all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: How do you multitask?

I suppose mothers have to multitask or they'd get nothing done.  However, still childless, I like focusing on one thing at a time because I can't do things "right" (granted that's subjective) if I'm spread too thin with my mind on too many things at once - I do everything more sloppily if I multitask haphazardly or as a constant rule.  

If I can multitask and not sacrifice the quality of what I'm doing I'll do it.  I'll be crocheting and watching TV today, but I've crocheted for so many years I can do it perfectly without paying much attention.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I give this thread 8 pages before it has to be shut down.  Troll Magnet. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, GC, how true!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

In Response to Re: How do you multitask?:
    [QUOTE]I give this thread 8 pages before it has to be shut down.  Troll Magnet. 
    Posted by GC1016[/QUOTE]

I wish I could "Like" this post.  I bet you're right, GC!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I read the article, and while I have a husband who is a partner at home (not just helpful), I do have to say I feel like there is a distinct biological change in ME in that I have so much more strength and energy, and am so much more able to get things done at home than I ever have before. I don't know if it's those protective hormones kicking in, but my house is cleaner and more organized, bills get paid on time, I do not sit down for a minute except to fall in bed every night but have more energy than ever. I am so much prouder of my accomplishments and am occassionally impressed at all I've managed to accomplish in a day. That honestly is a new thing for me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I have ADD, so have never been able to focus on one thing at a time.  Now it comes in handy.  (partially kidding)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Our baby isnt due for another 4 weeks ... but I've always been the multi-tasker compared to DH ... so I can only assume it will remain that way later.  I take care the dogs, start laundry, do dishes, and tidy up all while making dinner.  I write thank yous, check emails, shop online, etc all while watching TV.  It drives DH slightly nuts that I can't just watch TV.  I feel so useless if I'm mindlessly watching the screen.  Even if it isn't chores/tasks, I'll still work on a sewing project or catch up on emails with friends.  I clean up from dinner, pack lunches, and wash pans all at once.

It is a rare occaision where I do one thing at a time at home, and quite frankly I like that.  I get bored with just one task.  but then again, I'm like that at work too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

boston, how do you do things while washing pans?  Doesn't soapy water drip all over the place?  Do you take your gloves on and off?  And, wouldn't that reduce the efficiency of the pan washing task dramatically?  I'm totally curious as I'm more of a one task at a time girl, and I don't see how it's possible to wash pans and do anything else, especially "dry" tasks, concurrently...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I'm guessing what boston meant is that while dinner is cooking she can do some other things, like dishes, a load of laundry, etc... Boston, I'm the exact same way with watching TV and it also drives DH crazy because he wants me to pay attention!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Ohhh - my DH gets mad if I do something while we watch TV. He says it's distracting.
    He says no one multitasks well and that everyone should do one thing at a time.
    I am, however, often doing something else (cooking dinner, washing dishes, folding laundry) while keeping an eye on my twins.
    I do also make sure I spend a lot of time giving them 100% of my attention. And I don't take my eyes off them for a second in the bath tub. DS likes to stick his face in the water and it freaks me out a little. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

hehe... yeah... washing pans concurrently has to be done carefully :o) but really, for example this morning I put the tea kettle on and while it was warming up I collected all the miscellaneous dishes from the living room/dining room, loaded the dishwasher, washed pans from last night, and finished just in time to make my cup of tea and sit down for breakfast.  In that span of time ... DH was cuddling with the puppy and wandered down the hall to start thinking about showering.  yeah... he is going to have to start being more "helpful" once we are also trying to get an infant out of the house.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

boston, thanks for that - I truly was wondering how you washed dishes and packed a lunch at the same time! LOL

some-guy, I appreciate your post.  I can't even carry on a real conversation while cooking unless you call my half of it, "uh-huh," a conversation. I'd make a terrible celebrity chef.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

I also don't think this is necessarily a gender issue, but some people are just better at planning their time ... and in my house I am better at it.  I get home from work and automatically think what order would be the best to do the xyz tasks I need to get done.  Starting the washing machine, then collecting dirty plates, then starting the dishwasher, then washing pans makes the most of 20 minutes.  Clothes take the longest (since they still need to make it into the dryer that night), dishes take the next longest, then we usually need clean pans to make dinner, ... and the list goes on.  I also start my evening running ... as soon as I get through the door, I let the dogs out, sort the mail while they do their thing, get meat defrosting, etc.  DH gets home and wants to chat, change clothes, see what's on TV, eat, and then after dinner will think about doing "extra" things.  I am sure that I'm partly to blame ... If I said he was completely in charge of laundry he would figure out how to make it a priority, and in fact he does when he knows he has a big meeting the next day he will take it upon himself to start a load with his good shirt and pants, etc.  and there are certainly things he does on the weekends that are super valuable to our family that I simply can't or don't know how to do.  (like change oil, replace brake pads, fix the dryer, etc) ... and I try very hard not to feel guilty when I'm reading a book on a Saturday afternoon while he is mowing the lawn ... and I try equally as hard to not feel like a martyr when making dinner since I know he contributes in other areas. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

ugh

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Some guy's post made me laugh. Both of my grandmother's had maids - and one had a cook too.
    Even my mother had a weekly cleaning lady and tons of daytime babysitters.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shortylicious. Show Shortylicious's posts

I read the article and from my own experience, I wouldn't refer to what happens in my house as "multi-tasking". Sure, I do most of the household chores, but I find that it's because I want it done now my way. I'm a control freak and a perfectionist and I actually like to take care of the house stuff. My husband is perfectly capable of doing chores and managed to survive on his own quite successfully before we met, but he just has different priorities than I do. If I let the dishes or laundry pile up, I'm confident he'd get to it eventually. But I don't let it come to that. Now when it comes to the lawn, he is every bit of a perfectionist as I am! We have learned to respect these quirks in each other and haven't had any disputes about the chores (or landscaping) in many years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Shorty, same here - I like things done my way and enjoy doing them.   DH likes things done his way and enjoys doing them, too.  Good thing I'm in charge of the inside and him the outside of the house.  Works out great.

I can get a bunch of passive things going at once, but I don't consider that multitasking.  If laundry is washing, the dishwasher is going, water is heating in the teakettle, and I'm cooking breakfast, is that multitasking?  I don't think so.  I think it's just good time management.  I mean, I wouldn't just sit and wash the sudsy clothes go around and around and call that "doing laundry," I'd call it sitting on the laundry room floor and doing nothing.

Also, I consider every meal many tasks.  How else do you get every dish to come out at the same time?  I don't serve green beans, then the squash, then the chicken, then the beets as they get prepared and cooked serially.  I do them all at once and serve them together on a table I managed to set while everything is going (something on the stove, in the oven, and in the steamer, for example).  Is that multitasking or just "cooking dinner?"  That's why I can't add "conversation" to the many things going on to prepare a meal.  When the timer dings every task is done.  That took practice, but, again, I just call it cooking dinner.

Watching TV is a passive thing, too.  How is it multitasking to do something while the TV is on?  I bet if anyone writing thank you notes in front of the TV took a detailed quiz of the shows that were on during that time they'd fail.  That's not multitasking, it's doing something while the TV is on and getting the amount of enjoyment out of the TV with whatever brainpower you can dedicate to the show while you're doing something else that makes you happy.  How much you need to concentrate on what's on TV to enjoy it, though, is a subjective thing.  And, that explains why your DH's get upset when you do something other than watch TV with him - he thinks you can't possibly be enjoying the show with him because you tune it in and out to do your own thing.  I'm not passing judgement only giving you that perspective to consider.

When I say I can't multitask, and what people, I think, mean when they say, "No one can multitask well," I mean that I can't do more than one task at a time that requires analytical focus.  I can certainly have the TV on and do about anything else, but don't quiz me on the show - if you're focused on something else, you tune the TV in and out as necessary to do your other task.  This brings me to why I can't talk and cook - I tune out the person talking to me when the cooking task takes precedence, and I end up either just smiling and nodding or asking, "Huh?"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In Response to How do you multitask?:
    [QUOTE]Did you read this story about multitasking between working moms and dads?  http://bo.st/tXahDf The study found "working moms spend more time than working dads whipsawing among home-related tasks." Is this true in your family? How do you multitask differently than your spouse/significant other? I find myself multitasking all the time. It's like a sickness. For example, last night as my daughter played in the tub, I took the opportunity to clean the bathroom. While watching TV I will fold laundry or write thank you cards or return emails, etc. I get things done, but sometimes I wonder if I am ever truly relaxed. My husband is not this way at all.
    Posted by BDCKristi[/QUOTE]

Ha, ha, ha, ha.......your husband figured out that if he doesn't do it [a chore] that YOU will!....your husband is very relaxed by knowing this! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...Laughing

Why does a bride wear white on her wedding day?

...so she matches the rest of the kitchen appliances!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think recognizing the need for relaxing for a time every day is laudable.  A constant state of stress from the moment you get up until the moment you fall into bed causes hormonal problems, sleep problems, anxiety disorders, and all matter of physical ailments including headaches and sexual dysfunction.

If husbands recognize this and want their wives to enjoy the benefits of letting go of the List and relaxing for an hour with him - interacting, laughing and commenting to each other about the show - it might be something you both find very worthwhile. WinkWink

For all you ladies with the multitasking "sickness" as the OP called it, when do you connect with your husbands?  And, do you see sitting in the same room with him no matter where your mind is or what task you're doing as connecting?  If they are complaining about your doing other tasks while he thinks you could be relaxing with him maybe he's really complaining about missing you on a daily basis.  

In fact, if you're DH is complaining about your multitasking during "relax time," you could do an experiment by spending one show per day for one week totally focused on that show and interacting and enjoying it with your DH and see if it impacts life at all beyond that hour after a week of it.  Will you sleep better?  Will tension be relieved between you and DH?  Or, will you be more stressed out for wasting 7 hours of the week?  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: How do you multitask?:
    [QUOTE]Some guy's post made me laugh. Both of my grandmother's had maids - and one had a cook too. Even my mother had a weekly cleaning lady and tons of daytime babysitters.
    Posted by misslily[/QUOTE]

Same was true for my grandmother!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I'm anal retentive.  I like it done my way.  However, if I take on all household tasks b/c I can't let go or want it done a certain way, that's my problem, not my DH's. 

If one person feels like they are doing more or too much, then they need to discuss it w/ their DH and divvy up tasks.  Once that's done, you need to let the assigned person do the task in their own way and time, within reason [ie, no doing dishes 1x per week or letting stuff pile up in the sink for days on end].  But doing it all, complaining constantly about doing it all, or patting yourself on the back for doing it all and casting aspersions at your DH [or DW depending on the family], is not really productive. There are only so many hours in the day.  As long as everything that realistically needs to get done, gets done, then sometimes we need to let go. 

There articles are so counterproductive. In most instances, they do not show that one party is so much more productive while the other is lazy - they simply show that the couple cannot communicate their needs effectively. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My mom worked two jobs and my dad worked also, but got out much earlier in the day so he did the cooking.  Neither of my grandmothers had a maid, but they didn't work.

Sections
Shortcuts