how hard is it to decide on a name

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tinshee. Show tinshee's posts

My friend's mom's name is Iva. It's pronounced like "Eva". I believe it's the traditional spelling in a different language. There is also Isobel.

I love sites like this: http://www.babynames.com/Names/Alpha/index.php?let=I&g=F :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattdurgin. Show mattdurgin's posts

We had a really tough time deciding on my daughter's name. I wanted something traditional, and as far away from the Madison/Kheegan/Colby/Dakota fad of a few years ago as possible (no offense to anyone who named their kid one of those names of course). We wanted something old fashioned, but that wasn't overly popular at the moment (e.g. Emma, Grace, Jack). It definitely wasn't easy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

did anyone mention 'Iris'?� Iris Elizabeth.� Lovely.� Do the nursery all in purple and yellow.� :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cb. Show cb's posts

This website gives you a really good view of a name's use over time.

http://www.babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

The book that is associated with the site was my absolute favorite, it really helped you figure out your naming style.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from longlive80smusic. Show longlive80smusic's posts

Hello,

How about Irene, you could call her Rene (that's what my god mother is called). Irene means peace.

Ivana is Hebrew and means god is gracious

Both sound nice with Elizabeth. Good luck.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

a_mac: for cryin' out loud, haven't you had that kid yet? ha ha. You were preggie at our get together and it seems like that was 2 years ago!

Ha! Just wanted to say hi!

coz

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

Thats funny quadgirl I am opposite I lost my irish last name and gained an italian one. My husband's father is all italian and he is the first born male so he has the family first name. So if we have a boy we will be naming him after my husband. So we made a deal that I will be able to name the girl. My mother passed away so I will be using her name as a middle name definitely. Maybe I can find a nice Irish name that goes with an italian last name.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jenh314. Show jenh314's posts

Hi,

We are having a little boy, and choosing a name was extremely difficult. We actually had more girls names picked out, so we knew we had to be having a boy!! One of my husband's number 1 choices was Isabelle, which was okay to me, but I wasn't in love with it. Actually, Isabelle is Elizabeth in Spanish and my grandmother's name was also Elizabeth, which made the name more meaningful to me. So, you probably wouldn't want to name the baby Isabelle Elizabeth because they mean the same thing (kind of like naming a baby Juan John!). If you end up ultimately going with Isabelle, you can feel good knowing that you've incorporated your grandmother's name and stuck with your Jewish tradition all in one name!! Good luck with whatever name you decide!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pomgreen. Show pomgreen's posts

When I was born my older brother didn't like my name, he thought it wastoo long. So he made up his own name for me. It stuck, my wholefamily calls me that now even my neices and nephews.

My grandmother was all about proper names from the bible or our irish heritage. She didn't want the boys having any silly nicknames. Unfortunately one of her sons looked like Spanky from the little rascals and the name stuck through adulthood.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from a-mac. Show a-mac's posts

haha, my cousin just named his daughter that name! I think its cute and she is definitely adorable but it is a mouthful!

DH and I agreed: He will name first boy and I will name first girl, then I get a boy's name and he gets a girl's name for the 2nd and so on... But we can exercise a veto on one we couldn't live with.

Right now I think we have all our names if you can believe it, is that weird? We picked a couple of family names and some we just liked with our last name - Scottish. DH would love to name a son Duncan, but his sister named her dearly departed dog Duncan and now he just doesn't think it would be right!

No unisex names for us either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbgardiner. Show jbgardiner's posts

Like most here, We wanted names that were unique but not crazy. Our son was first, and we didn't know the sex before he was born. I like common last names as first names, so our son is named Jackson. And our daughter was a tougher choice. We didn't want a name that seemed too little girly and would be tough to grow into. (Imagine Nana Britney) no offense. But was still cute for a little girl, and aged well. We chose Lydia. It seemed classic yet not antique, and cute, and has the potential for nicknames in case, she choses one later in life.

But in reality, no matter what name you choose, from John, to Moon Unit, your child will fit into it just perfectly. And don't listen to family members when deciding a name, you may regret it later.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tricom17. Show tricom17's posts

When we picked out names for our daughter it was so tough. I liked so many names my husband hated. We finally agreed on Reagan and Reese. It was Reese up until a month before the baby was born and then my husband decided he liked Reagan better because he didn't want people saying Reese Peice or any other nickname for that matter. I still loved Reese and thought when the baby was born we would go back to Reese. We didn't though and I do love the name we chose. I would say nicknames are very important to consider. Our boy name is Aiden and a lot of people don't like AJ or TJ etc so make sure you also consider the middle initial. It's a lot of fun chosing a name, I liked how they did it on friends. With the next one on the way, I am not sure what we are going to do. We may end up staying with Reese and Aiden but you never know that could change. I figure we will wait a few more months and start discussing it again. I would really love Kennedy for a girl but I have already been told no..:(

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl79. Show quadgirl79's posts

Even though we are not pregnant yet, but trying our hardest :-), DH and I have talked about names and what we would want. What we do know is that the name would be Italian. I am Italian and lost my maiden italian last name to my now irish married name. This is something that is important to me because I miss my maiden name so much. I am happy DH agrees. I considered putting my maiden name as my childs middle name, but I had my moms maiden name and hated it my whole life.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

typically in the Jewish tradition your first born name is, or close to that persons name.

let's think outside the box. tradition is good, but you can twist it. If you have a girl, is there a female version of Dad's name? Instead of starting with I - use the female version. ??

Another idea, name her Irene Elizabeth - and call her by her second name, Elizabeth, Lisa, Beth, Liz, Bess, whatever. (My nephew did this - his family tradition was to name the first born after the father. He always wished he didn't have the same name as his father and grandfather so he named his son after himself - but they call him by his middle name. It pleased everyone!)

Other girl names starting with I - Ina, Irma, Ilsa, Inge (or Inga), Ingrid, Illisa, Imelda

I love Ilsa (think the character in "Casablanca".) I also like Ingrid Elizabeth. I know a kid named Inge - she's great.

I'll also repeat a great suggestion made earlier. Name your daughter Isabelle or Isabella - which means Elizabeth. Two birds - one stone. Call her Belle. How pretty! or Lizzy-Bell! cute.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lunyme. Show lunyme's posts

Sounds like you kept the name Reagan then? Well, my name is Regan and if your husband was concerned about mocking... Ray Gun, Reeegan, Ronald, and Mr. President were the ones that tormented me! I even got the Mr President comment last year from a coworker who thought he was clever! On the plus side, i used to tell everyone that i was named after the litle girl from the exorcist and that got them to leave me alone...

It wasnt my favorite name when i was a kid but, back then, it was still relatively unknown and unpopular. And it was the name of the president of the time... Now that I am older and i have actually met a few other regans (or reagans, or reagens, or reigens, raegon, or even reginas... ) I have grown to really like the name.

Trivia: Its the name of the little girl in the exorcist, one of the sisters in Shakespeare's king lear (my spelling, but more properly pronounced "Reegan"), its Irish derived from Regina, meaning queenly (or little king, depending on who you consult) and is the name of the main character in the Carol Higgins Clark murder mystery series (when you have a unique name, its really cool when you can see it in print, so if you at all like murder mysteries, get those and she can read them if she wants when she's older. Im telling you, it was really exciting when i found that, just because it had never happened before.)

Anyway, be prepared for some mocking... kids will always find a way. Its a good name, in spite of it!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

We had a surprisingly easy time picking names. We chose family names (people who had passed away). Our son was named for my father. We actually used my maiden name for the first name and chose DH's grandmother's maiden name for the middle name. So, our sons first name is my dad's last name but also I believe in the Jewish tradition you use the first letter of the name of the person you are naming for so that works too. Dad's first name began with an R and so did our last name.

I always thought I would name a daughter after my great-grandmother, Margaret (we'd use Maggie as a nickname) until my own grandmother died. Now we are going to use her name, Julia. The middle name will likely be Page. That was DH's grandfather's middle name.

So, child one has a name from my father's side and his mother's side and child 2 has a name from my mother's side and his father's side. If there is a third my son wants the name to be Ice Cream Sundae (we vetoed this for the one we are expecting now).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

you're right! phew..... i was getting concerned.

they're both name-changers and I get them confused in my head!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

Hi, Everyone has made really great suggestions so far so I'll just add a couple of things we considered:

1. Be sure to check out what the initials spell out.
    2. Take the time to plug the name into Google or some other searchengine. In this day and age, your kids will appreciate not being one offive thousand people online with the same name as they get older.
    3. I totally agree with the person who said traditional spellings. Assomeone who has a slightly different spelling to my name than peopleusually expect, it's a huge pain as I am constantly having to correctpeople.
    4. Also, good suggestion to not share the name with too many people!

And finally, just to say you might want to avoid Isabella Elizabeth orsome combination of those two names because they are the same name,basically! (sort of like naming someone Sara Sarah or GuinevereJennifer). What about Ivy or Iris?

Good luck! It's tough!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from netsirk. Show netsirk's posts

Hi quadgirl,

I'm in the same situation. Married an Irish boy and changed my beloved Italian last name. As a compromise to changing my name, we decided on giving my maiden name to our kids as their middle name (with the knowledge that most people don't really use their middle name). But you mentioned your mom did this and you hated it? Did she give it as your first or middle??

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from a-mac. Show a-mac's posts

Hi Cosmo,

You must be mistaking me with someone else! I've never been preggie! Tryin' though!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl79. Show quadgirl79's posts

My Moms maiden name was my middle name. Even though I love my Italian last name, there was never any doubt I would not change my name when I got married. When I changed my last name to my married name I put my maiden name as my middle name. I did ask my mom if she would be offended and she said not at all becasue years ago the thing to do was to put your maiden name as your middle once you were married.

Maybe I hated it because my moms maiden name was kind of weird, who knows. Maybe as a kid I was jealous that other kids had "real" middle names. As I grew older, it turned out fine, my middle name and last name were used by my friends as nicknames.

In the end, as much as I would LOVE to give my children my maiden last name because there is no boys to carry it on, I dont think I would do it. Putting it as my middle name will carry it with me forever.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from col1482. Show col1482's posts

Lydia is my favorite name for a baby girl. Hopefully, I'll get to use it one day... :-)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

My son is Ryan. It was number 6 nationally in 2004 when our son was born. The funny thing is except for one of our friends we don't know any other Ryan's. Also, I have only seen one girl with the name Ryan and it was spelled Ryanne.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

If you're worried about Ryan being too popular - how about Brian or Bryan?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

well I sure hope no one finds it necessary to name their daughter after our CURRENT president!