How is Kindergarten getting harder?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCAEStaff. Show BDCAEStaff's posts

How is Kindergarten getting harder?

With schools making kindergarten more challenging for young children, how hard is too hard? What experiences have your kids had? What do you think of the new heavier curriculum?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRHORR. Show JRHORR's posts

Re: How is Kindergarten getting harder?

My son just finished kindergarten in June, and I felt that expectations overall were very high.  He did fine and was promoted to kindergarten, but he had to work hard (and had homework!  3x per week!) 

Developmentally, some children are unable to develop a proper pincer pencil grasp until age five...but yet by the end of the kindergarten year the children are expected to write, with spacing, on the lines in perfectly legible penmanship, read a level 2 book out loud with little help, tell basic time and count money.  

Times have certainly changed from when I learned to write in first grade and learned time and money in second grade.  Kindergarten for me was the sand table, finger painting, letter recognition, and learning how to wait my turn like a good little girl.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BambinosMom. Show BambinosMom's posts

I never went to kindergarten as a child, although my mother had me reading and writing before I entered first grade. There were children in first grade with me who hadn't learned to read and write. Today, those children would be placed in a special remedial class! 
    My son will be starting K1 (or 4 year old kindergarten) in September.
    I have specifically chosen a part-time program (9 hours per week) because emotionally he is not ready for heavy academics and a longer school day. My daughter, on the other hand, attended K1 and K2 with a full-time school schedule (M-F 8-2) and rigorous academics including homework M-TH. She handled this quite well and entered first grade already reading, writing and doing simple math. My son's current school does not have a K2 program, so I will have to see how he develops this year before choosing a program for 2010-2011.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

When you say too hard, what do you mean?  What kind of homework do they have?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

I haI know kindegarten teachers and they have the same problems little league coaches have.
    Have you watched parents on the sidelines of little league games.
    Imagine 50 young parents outside the door of your classroom.
    It's always been a hard grade because it is the place the school system must face different child rearing styles.And what is worse,once you get through with the parents,grandparents will appear to help you.
    One child insisted on urinating on the floor. Now, where do you begin with this child.
    Another child insisted that her friend's coat was better than her own drabby coat.
    The concept of sharing does not exist in many cases,and will continue throughout that child's career in school.
    Despite their best efforts some parents will insist it is competitive.Set them straight,finger painting resembles Jackson Pollock.It may be good enough for the refrigerator at home,but that's it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

Has your child been held back?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I actually remember having learned everything they covered in kindergarten on Seseme Street and being super bored.  I'm glad it's harder now. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Kindergarten is only harder now, in order for children to be able to succeed in higher grades.  It is a shame that more time for play is not incorporated into the daily schedule, but the reality is that there is not enough time.  Children at this age learn through doing, so they are taught in just that way.  Kindergartners are not (i hope!) sitting there and doing math problems, nor should they be.  Children learn the basic skills needed.  In an ideal world, I would like to see K to be more developmentally appropriate, as the years go by less and less time for unstructured play is allowed. 
    Our schools here are more developmentally appropriate than schools in other countries, particularly asian countries. Though, those children do much better when testing comes around so who can say we are better?  My opinion is that K and even 1st is too early for a solely academic school day.  Most k children meet the standards expected of them, i'd say 98% of them, so the standards seem right on to me.  The k standards are appropriate to expect of 6 year olds.  The children who end up staying back are usually the children who were just barely 5 when they entered school, and were probably not ready for it in the first place. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FinkleKJ5. Show FinkleKJ5's posts

Kindergarten is also harder for the teachers especially those that have been teaching for awhile.  My mother has been a kindergarten teacher for 28 years now and was recently reprimanded for having the students put their heads down on their desks for 1 minute due to the kids yelling and screaming during one of their lessons.  It apparently ruins their self esteem and self image.  Teachers are hamstrung by restrictions in the methods of teaching and the methods of punishment for children.  In some schools certain age children can not be given detention even if it is during school hours or recess.  Children have no repercussions for their actions anymore and are not held accountable for their behavior.  Making teachers gear lessons toward standardized tests and making children take these tests at young ages really inhibit the learning curve.  Teachers needs to be able to teach in ways that the children respond to and unrealistic expectations of 5 year olds needs to go away soon.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FinkleKJ5. Show FinkleKJ5's posts

Just remembered too that I only went to kindergarten for a half day back in the mid 80's and there were 15 kids at most in each class.  Now my mother as a teacher has 30-35 5 year olds all day long with no aides to help her.  God Bless her, I do not know how she has done it for 28 years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

How old are kids starting Kindergarten? I'm not from New England, and from talking to the "natives" here I think I had a very different experience. I was 4, turning 5 shortly after the school year began. But kids start older now? Is that right?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

It varies district to district, state to state. In parts of NY and NJ kids have to turn 5 by January.  But most places I know of in MA children have to turn 5 by Sept. 1st.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Finkle... how in the world is putting your head down for a minute bad for your self esteem???  I can imagine the changes your mom has seen in her many years of teaching.  Now I'm not one for bringing back the paddle (so to speak), but I really get frustrated with the direction it seems we are going.  I really think we are doing our kids a disservice by making sure they are happy and content and feeling good about themselves every second of every day.  I am all for raising confident and happy children, but I just wonder who said that punishment of any kind hinders this??  I know I'm generalizing, but this everyone wins, everyone gets thanked and no one can ever be upset or offended attitude really is setting our kids up for a surprise.  In my job now, I work for a certain type of manager that I could go way above and beyond and still something in my work would be wrong.  That's life.  I get over it.  I find joy in all the other places in my life that are good.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from merilisa. Show merilisa's posts

Seriously?  Putting your head down on the desk for a minute is bad for their self-esteem?  I remember it being such a relief because my classmates would finally chill out for a minute!  Maybe teachers should "reframe" putting your head down on the desk by learning a quick "relaxation and meditation" exercise and leading their students through it. Then sell it to the administration as a stress reduction technique...that the students are being taught life skills.  A little jargon being fired back at the jargon makers can make all the difference in the world!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Way back when, kindergarten was two and a half hours.  Even first grade didn't go a whole day--they got out at 1:30.  First day of kinder, we all lined up to get a bin and sat down. Then we all lined up to get a pencil--one of those 1/2 inch thick ones with no eraser.  (You didn't get a real yellow #2 pencil until second grade.)  Then we all lined up to get a red crayon--the fat, flat-sided toddler crayons they now give two year olds--then sat down.  Never mind the fact that most of us had boxes of 64 crayolas at home.  We lined up seven more times to get the rest of the crayons one by one.  By then it was time to go home!

They must have thought we were blithering idiots.  Today's kinder may have some imperfections, but it's an infinite improvement.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I read an article (can't find it now) written by a gen-Y (of whatever they call them). It was about how all he hears is that his generation thinks they are all entitled. He basically said that "of course they feel entitled. They got a trophy for just showing up to T-ball, no one ever lost a soccer game, if you didn't do your homework you could give some excuse and get an extention. Their parents told them constantly that they are special - so they believe they are."
    My DH tries to give his kids career counseling at the college where he teaches. None of them ever listen to him. He's always telling them to take the entry level job with the good, well established companies. They all want to work somewhere "unique" or "exciting". So they graduate with $200k in debt and no job.
    He sees fist hand how the "self-esteem" movement has created a bunch of egomaniacs.

Sections
Shortcuts