Is Breastfeeding 2 years and up normal??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Re: Is Breastfeeding 2 years and up normal??

In Response to Re: Is Breastfeeding 2 years and up normal??:
    [QUOTE] Once your child is old enough to unbutton your shirt, perhaps it's time to express into a bottle (or sippy cup) instead.
    Posted by misslily[/QUOTE]

Now THIS is a pretty good marker.  Buttons are hard! This would probably render a lot of men unqualified to see breasts as well, in a frantic and exciting moment.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

[QUOTE]That's exactly what I meant about it being "disgusting" is that she will grab her moms shirt and pull it down from the top and start nudging her way in.  Then has a melt down if she can't get to it right away in 2 seconds.  We belong to a country club where everyone is sitting around hanging out and many children stop and look at the same child that is slugging down hot dogs and juice. I have nothing against nursing, like I said.
    Posted by mommywats[/QUOTE]

I would be uncomfortable in this situation as well. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

OK, you probably opened yourself for a whole other round of comments by placing yourself at the country club, but as it is a private club their are by-laws and I'm willing to bet good money that their is something in there about nudity and covering up. And in that is probably your solution to the horrors of a nursing mother.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]That's exactly what I meant about it being "disgusting" is that she will grab her moms shirt and pull it down from the top and start nudging her way in.  Then has a melt down if she can't get to it right away in 2 seconds.  We belong to a country club where everyone is sitting around hanging out and many children stop and look at the same child that is slugging down hot dogs and juice. I have nothing against nursing, like I said.
    Posted by mommywats[/QUOTE]
    It sounds like you have a lot of free time to dedicate to worrying about this problem. Maybe you should form a committee.

Oh, and there's no way our family could afford to belong to a country club, so everyone can stop worrying about me oppressing "mommywats."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Breastfeeding 2 years and up normal?? : Now THIS is a pretty good marker.  Buttons are hard! This would probably render a lot of men unqualified to see breasts as well, in a frantic and exciting moment.
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]

HA!
    If we also added the requirement of being able to undo those nursing bra strap clippy things, we can breastfeed into adulthood, no problem.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

So now everyone is going to jump all over the OP for belonging to a country club?  Geesh!
    I'm sure even if there is a "nudity" clause at this club, there is nothing management can do about the nursing mother.  She's protected under the law and will probably sue if they even suggest that she exert a modicum of modesty while nursing her toddler.
    So I guess all the "freaks" who wish she'd teach her daughter not to paw at her breasts will just have to suck it up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

[QUOTE]So I guess all the "freaks" who wish she'd teach her daughter not to paw at her breasts will just have to suck it up.

No pun intended, right?  ;)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Breastfeeding 2 years and up normal?? : No pun intended, right?  ;)
    Posted by Daisy75[/QUOTE]
    I'm just trying to imagine both of my twins grabbing at me at the same time by the pool at a country club!
    Laughing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

I plan to breastfeed, and will probably have to do it in public at some point, but I will remain covered...in front of strangers as well as family.  There are a lot of men in my family and I can’t imagine whipping out my bo0b in front of my FIL, BIL, etc with whom we spend the most time with.  I am modest and that is the best choice for me, not necessarily the right choice for everyone.   

I don’t plan to BF for 2+ years, but I really can’t say how long until I actually experience it.  I would have a problem with my child pulling my shirt up/down when they want to be fed, but like other posters have said, I would teach him/her not to do that.  

Funny story.  My mom had a friend when I was growing up who didn’t have a modest bone in her body.  I had seen my mom BF my younger sisters and never thought anything of it, but I remember being bothered when her friend whipped her bo0b out at our house to BF.  Maybe it was because I didn’t like the idea of my dad seeing another naked bo0b besides my moms, maybe it was because she had big ugly bo0bs, I don’t know.  She also used to answer the door in a short t shirt and nothing else...she was a character.  I laugh now thinking about it because at the time I remember thinking dear lord, please don’t let my whooha look like THAT when I grow up.

BF is normal and people can choose to do it however long they please and wherever they need to.  Ugly bo0bs and all.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]So now everyone is going to jump all over the OP for belonging to a country club?

Show me where this happened.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Yes, Game of Thrones was great on HBO (series just ended but you can watch online).

And this is more of a manners thing than anything else.

And to those moms who haven't started breastfeeding yet and plan to, the whole expression "whip it out" is kind of a joke.  When you can lift or slide your shirt to the side, when settled, there is no skin actually visable.  And after a few weeks, you become such a pro that no one even notices.

And the reason why we have protective laws on the books regarding breastfeeding is we are an old state of Blue laws back to the Puritans and their puritanical ways.  But I think the Puritans would have found our modern Massachusetts society's level of squemishness out of control.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I'm more confused by the fact that apparently this woman's breasts produce hot dogs & juice.  If that's the case, then she shouldn't breastfeed at the club, because there is usually a snack bar by the pool, so the urchin should go there.  Duh. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Breastfeeding 2 years and up normal?? : Now THIS is a pretty good marker.  Buttons are hard! This would probably render a lot of men unqualified to see breasts as well, in a frantic and exciting moment.
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]

^ Like. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

GC - LIKE.  I was confused about the hot dogs and juice thing too.  Is it too de-classay to offer both the wonderful vintage of breast milk along with the nastiness factor of the despicable hot dog and the non-PC (corn syrup laden, decidedly non-organic) origins of the apple juice.  Or maybe they just don't go together that well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I am really surprised about the blatantly hostile and condescending nature of this conversation especially from some of the frequent posters who usually seem very funny and nice.  I also might not agree with everything everyone says, but I am not about to condemn anyone for having differing opinions.

That said, I think everyone is missing a major part of the OPs problem.  This is the mother of her son's best friend.  I doubt she wants to say anything to ruin the relationship for her son.  Perhaps she was looking for some commiseration as she would never say anything to this woman in real life.  Clearly she was looking in the wrong place.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

I was using the phrase whip it out as a joke, not a literal act.  Literally whipping out any body part sounds rather painful.

GC you are too funny!  If my breasts only produced juice and hot dogs, what a lifestyle I could lead!

I didn’t really read the responses as hostile...some a bit sarcastic, but I think so far it’s been a fun topic.  I’ve spent the week dealing with a death in the family, so this thread has been a nice, lighthearted distraction.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

This isn't really a response to the OP, but I just want to say that I get annoyed by people constantly equating breastfeeding in public to public nudity.  I don't strip down to breastfeed.  I don't take off my shirt, or even pull it up most of the time.  Ususally, I push my shirt and bra to the side, and attach my baby.  There's probably less showing while I'm breastfeeding than there is when I'm just sitting there wearing my shirt because so much is covered up by my baby's head.  If people are using their xray vision to see what's going on underneath , there's nothing I can do about that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]I’ve spent the week dealing with a death in the family
    Posted by Leila32[/QUOTE]
    I'm so sorry, Leila. I hope you are doing okay.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Confession: mine do.  That's why DH married me.  Actually, they produce hot dogs and Coors Light. 

Trouble, my issue with this thread, and others like it is two-fold, actually, three-fold based on something you said.  They are:

1) I'm not convinced it's not a troll.  It's a classic pot-stirring topic posted by what looks like a first-time poster.  It's hard to take a troll's "question" seriously. 

2) It's incredibly judgmental, starting from the topic (normal?  really?) and continuing through her tone.  Saying that the OP is looking for advice/support is somewhat disingenous as what advice or support could you give unless:

3) she's actually asking for advice on how to address her discomfort while maintaining the friendship with the mother of her son's friend.  Now THAT is a legit question, but it's not actually posed -- I wondered the same thing, but I prefer to be asked a question before I charge in with my sage advice. 

So you have suspicious origins, somewhat-offensive tone, and lack of post-clarity.  It's kind of hard to respond supportively when you think it's a judgy-wudgy troll with poor writing skills. 

If it's a squeamish first-time poster who accidentally buried her lede & really does have an etiquette conundrum, my apologies.  And welcome to the Boards.  Better luck next time. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'm not sure why it would matter that this poster belongs to a Country Club...My family can not afford to belong to one, but good for her family if they can.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Breastfeeding 2 years and up normal?? : I'm so sorry, Leila. I hope you are doing okay.
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much.  He was an elderly relative who was very ill, so we are comforted knowing he isn't suffering anymore.

Seriously, thanks for the laughs.  GC, you crack me up.  If yours produced corn dogs and Sam Summer I would have married you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Breastfeeding 2 years and up normal?? : HA! In seriousness: I think we have discomfort with things because of the way we've been brought up.  BUT: if we support those things in principle, then we have to put the discomfort aside in order to stick to the principles. So: I don't think you can say, "I believe it's okay to breastfeed in public... but you should use a shawl."  Or "... but you should find a corner."  If it's okay to breastfeed in public, then it's okay to breastfeed in public. It's okay to acknowledge that you have some discomfort.  That's a result of how you grew up!  But it's not okay to say that people "should" change their behavior. Not to make a contentious discussion even more contentious, but this sort of conditional approval of public breastfeeding reminds me of when people say things like, "I don't have a problem with gay people ... but I don't want them to show affection in public."  If it's okay to be gay, then it's okay to be gay everywhere.
    Posted by medfordcc[/QUOTE]

Wasn't going to touch this thread, but I like medford's post.  Couldn't agree more.  It's fine to be uncomfortable, but your discomfort is your problem.  Merely knowing that I breastfeed probably makes my father uncomfortable, but I'm not going to stop to make him feel better.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Trouble - I couldn't agree more.  I enjoy humor as much as the next person, probably more and particularly at my expense.  I am just super suprised about the tone.

Gc - I am not convinced this is not a troll post either mostly because if it wasn't I would be shocked that the OP has not responded everyone's posts. However, the elitist tone of the responses still makes me recoil a bit. Real or not.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Look, the original post was obnoxious, inflammatory, and offensive. I don't see why it deserves a sympathetic response. If, for instance, the OP had said:

"there's a woman I really like, but she nurses her two-year-old in front of me and it makes me uncomfortable. I want to continue hanging out with her, but I feel like I have to say something because I keep walking away out of embarrassment and I'm not sure if it's causing more tension than a conversation would"

she would have received the following response from me:

"I totally know where you're coming from. I didn't know much about breastfeeding before I was TTC, and I wasn't sure I'd do it at all. My original plan was to try for three months. I certainly never thought I'd go for extended bfing -- I thought it was kind of freaky. But when I started reading about breastfeeding and motherhood, and talking to my friends who nursed, I came to realize that breastfeeding was a beautiful, special experience, and one I wanted very much to have. And once my daughter was born, the nursing became an important part of our relationship. I went for almost two years, and along the way I met many women who nursed for that long or longer -- extended nursing became totally normal in my mind. I think that your friend probably realizes you are uncomfortable and either doesn't want to address it or doesn't know how. But if you want to keep the friendship, I would say to ask her about it in a nonjudgmental way. I loved talking about breastfeeding and was happy when anyone asked me about it. I think that each breastfeeding mom is an ambassador and shows other new moms -- and people in general -- that breastfeeding is a natural, normal experience. If your friend is bfing a two-year-old in public she's probably used to fielding a lot of questions about it and won't mind you asking. She might be really happy to talk about the experience, and you might find that you understand her better and get closer to her as a result of the conversation."

But what the OP actually said was:

"it's just plain embarrassing when she starts nursing her daughter in public.  It's not even something that is at all hidden"

and

"I hate to say it but I think it's just dsigusting and I dont want to be seen with her. I am too nice by just looking at her and saying "wow she's still nursing" when I just want to stand up and walk away and tell her that it's not normal."

and

"I see people's faces when this is going on too..."

Later she goes on to "bad mom" the woman further with "many children stop and look at the same child that is slugging down hot dogs and juice."

At least I think that's what she's getting at -- it seems like she just dislikes this woman and child in general and wants advice on how to let them know with a maximum amount of shame and hurt feelings, since her "subtle" hints aren't cutting it.

Well, I think that bad moms are pretty few and far between, and I think they are recognizable by how they denigrate or berate their children, or abuse them, or ignore them, or overindulge them to the point where the kids turn into monsters (although that's not so much a bad mom as a clueless one). But a mom who nurses her two-year-old in public and also lets the child consume human food is not a bad mom in my mind and should be left to her own business.

So she got the lemon and not the lemonade.  You want the lemonade, you bring the sugar. You bring the sour, you get the peel. And so on.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE]I use the correct words for things. It felt weird at first but in the long run it just makes life easier.
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]
    It makes life easier and more interesting.  The other day on the T my daughter had a load in her diaper and I was reassuring her that we would be to our stop soon and I would change her when we got to the car and she said REALLY clearly "yeah, you need to change my diaper so I don't get p00p in my vulva!"  I'm pretty sure people didn't understand what she said because it was so unexpected. haha.

Sections
Shortcuts