IUD Birth Control

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod1818. Show capecod1818's posts

IUD Birth Control

I am curious if anyone has used this method of birth control.  I am considering it as I am not able to take the pill due to a history of clots.  Can anyone give me some insight into your experience and if/what the side effects were.  I am considering the copper IUD as I can't do the one with hormones.

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Re: IUD Birth Control

I have been very happy with my Mirena and had no problems whatsoever with it.  Contrary to what dog-lady wrote, many women with IUDs have very light, infrequent periods and sometimes (as in my case), they stop altogether.  There is a higher risk of ectopic pregnancies, but the overall incidence of pregnancy with an IUD is very low--the lowest you can get w/o sterilization.  If you have a history of ectopic, I don't think most ob/gyns will advise you to get an IUD, but otherwise, they're safe and very reliable.  There is another IUD on the market called the Paraguard and I believe it's nonhormonal whereas the Mirena does release small amounts of hormones.  You should probably talk to your ob/gyn about it to get additional info. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I agree with everything Daisy said. My Mirena experience has been excellent. Mirena and Paraguard are not the "scary" IUDs of the 70's and 80's that caused serious issues for a number of women and were pulled from the market.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Def talk to your OB/GYN. Based on your history they will you what will work best. my ob won't do paraguard if you've had bad periods in the past.

No complaints about my mirena yet (but it's barely been a week).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

I love my Mirena although I do believe it has hormones. 

The two things I like the most are the fact that I don't have to remember to take birth control for another 3.5 YEARS and minimal to non existent periods. 

The two things I don't love about it is there is always a little niggling worry in the back of my head that I'm going to get pregnant, not know it and wind up feature in that TV show "I didn't know I was pregnant" and no one mentioned before the day it was inserted that there are wires that hang off the IUD that you (or your spouse as my OB said to my DH as he was sitting there) need to feel for. And silly as it is at 33 that almost put me off getting it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Love my Mirena. And as my OB said - you're supposed to check for the string once a month and non of my patients do.
    Light to non-existant periods and effort free.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

my ob said some women can't even feel if they are there...IF they even check.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from missJB. Show missJB's posts

I also love the Mirena.  I have been on it for a year and have had no side effects except for loss of period, which most women would be very happy about.

You mentioned that you need to use the Paraguard (copper) IUD because you can't have the hormones.  My MIL is an OB/GYN and the only real negative of the Paraguard to the Mirena is that the Paraguard causes heavier bleeding.  If you already have heavy bleeding it will get worse and you may want to reconsider.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you can't have any hormones, I assume you cannot use Mirena since it delivers levonorgestrel intrauterinely.  Paraguard is a non-hormonal IUD (is that the copper one you referred to?), but I don't have any personal experience with it.  However, everything eveyone else has said about IUD safety today I agree with.

Anyone using Paraguard?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I have a Mirena IUD.  It was slightly painful to have inserted, even after giving birth, but I do mean slightly - maybe like a pap times 5.

Agree with the drawback about checking for the string... Didn't seem like a big deal but it is difficult to feel for that thing.

I have had very light spotting here and there, but no real bleeding which is awesome.  I could be wrong, but I think with the copper IUD you are more likely to still have monthly bleeding.  Worth checking with your doctor about that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

But, she can't have any hormones.  I think the reason you don't get your period on Mirena and do on the copper is that the Mirena has hormones that stop you from having bleeding.

(And, a PAP times 5 would be extremely painful for me, by the way - I must be a big baby!)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

I used a paraguard after baby number 4. It did its job (there was no number 5 during the year I had it!), but I did have a great deal of spotting/discharge constantly, which is why I ultimately stopped using it (and sent DH off to the surgeon). I know everyone is different and I'm sure others had better experiences than I did -- but I was not happy with it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Yea, if she is looking for hormone free then Mirena will not work for her!
    (But I'll chime in that I too loved my Mirena and will get another after this pregnancy)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod1818. Show capecod1818's posts

I wish I could use the hormone one but I had a blood clot during my last pregnancy and I have a gene mutation that makes me more suseptible to clotting so I can't take the pill or the hormone IUD.  I actually chickened out on my appointment as I felt like I needed a little more time to research this.  Any one else have experience with the copper IUD?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fuzzymiss9. Show Fuzzymiss9's posts

I had the copper IUD for about 4 years and had the most unpleasant cramping around AF and randomly throughout the month.  It made AF really heavy.  I was so glad to get the damned thing removed since I've started TTC, and once we're done I will be exploring other options for sure.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

FWIW, just wanted to reiterate: I had the copper IUD because I couldn't have the hormones, and I would never choose it again.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I also just had the mirena inserted.
    So far I have had spotting (literally a spot some days) since it was inserted about 3 weeks ago.  I am due for period any day now.  I have had some cramping.
    Hoping for period to disappear altogether since it has always been light and short.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If the copper IUD is terrible regarding cramps and heavy bleeding and the OP cannot use Mirena because of the hormones it releases, is there anything similar she can use?

(By the way, while I know it's not an IUD, the diaphragm method is a nightmare.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Cape-do you want something temporary or permanent? There's the Essure method, but that is premanent BC...but it's hormone free. Some info: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/essure/MY00999

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I have the paraguard and I have absolutely no complaints about it.  I've had it for about 13 months or so.  I got my periods back about 2-3 months ago (still nursing) and I didn't find that I had more cramping or heavier periods because of it.  I did have my second baby without pain meds and with pitocin though, so maybe I have a higher pain tolerance?  Either way, I'm very happy with my choice.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod1818. Show capecod1818's posts

Kargiver,

I had a diaphram and found the same thing.....that thing was a knightmare to get out.  I just gave up after trying it two times.