June Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

Re: June Infants and Toddlers

IP - sippy was entirely at their own pace.  Both had it with water in it starting at 6mo - I'd just give it to them in the highchair when we were eating to practice, if you will.  DD never really took to it until maybe 10-11 months, but DS got it around 8 mo.  I didn't do anything different with either of them.  Both were sick with fevers for a week or so at 8-9 mo and I used the sippy (and straw-cups actually) as another way to keep their fluids up, and DS just took it and ran with it, and just lately seems to have expanded that to managing his own bottle.  At first it was pretty jerky and he'd hit himself in the face with the cup, but he mostly gets it in first time now.  My approach (which was the same with potty training LOL!) was to make sure they were familiar with it early but not to pressure and they will figure it out on their own

For the early days I like the type with the spouts that are as soft as the bottles and handles on each side - 8oz or smaller and didn't fill them too much to start, so not too heavy, but needs to be enough that they don't have to turn them all the way upside down to get some.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

As far as sippy cups go, I have found that DD did best early on, and still prefers (at 2.5) the sippy cups that just have holes in the lid, no fancy valves or anything. The cheapo take and toss cups are one knid, and the tupperware cups I had as a child are another version (and still available). They aren't as leak proof - part of DD's fun early on was to invert them until she had a puddle of water on her high chair tray to play with. But I mainly put water in them, and if there is any other liquid, I try and supervise more closely, so that I don't end up with mystery stickies all over. 
    HTH

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Speaking of bottles and sippies, I've recently been surrounded by babies younger than DD (7.5 months) who are holding their own bottles, and she isn't.  I've been *really* trying not to compare, but there are moments when I slip... IPW - it made me feel better that your DS is not quite there yet either!  We've been practicing and it usually ends up a lot like how you described.

Re: mesh teethers - thanks (a bit late) for the cleaning advice!  I put pear in it the other day - much easier to clean than banana.  She liked the pear, but I also tried honeydew and watermelon, and for both she reacted like I was feeding her turpentine. 

We've entered a fun stage where she's now saying "mumumumumum" constantly.  I'm pretty sure it's totally random, but it's fun to pretend she's referring to me.  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Canuk – I’m interested in the graham crackers.  I was thinking they would be too hard for DD, but it sounds like your DS is handling them fine?  How small do you break them up?  Also, we had some good success with grilled cheese last night.  So, that is a little bit better than just carbs for your DS….gives a bit of dairy/protein. 

Luv – Your DD sounds like a giant compared to mine!  I go through periods of worrying about it.  At the moment I am not worried too much because the pedi is not all that concerned, she looks healthy, is very active, and eats pretty well.  I agree though that it seems like there are these monster babies everywhere!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: June Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]We've entered a fun stage where she's now saying "mumumumumum" constantly.  I'm pretty sure it's totally random, but it's fun to pretend she's referring to me.  :)
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]
    Us too.  :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

If I say "mama," to DD, she'll whisper back, "Dadadadada," and grin.  The stinker. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

DS is doing the mumumum thing too!

Poppy - DS didn't like honeydew or watermelon either.  I really thought he would like them because they are so sweet but you would have thought I had poisoned him.

Memes - DS had a some graham cracker today...this is going to sound weird but the package had been opened and then not put into a bag so they were kind of soft and DS ate it without any issues.  So I opened another package and put it back in the box to also soften up. You may want to try that.  I too thought they might be too hard but then again DH gave him a cracker the other day and he ate that without issues!  Oh and I just gave DS a quarter of the cracker and he did fine with it.

GC that is too cute...annoying for you I bet but cute!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]We've entered a fun stage where she's now saying "mumumumumum" constantly.  I'm pretty sure it's totally random, but it's fun to pretend she's referring to me.  :)
    It's not random! It's totally the start of language! SUCH an exciting time. They may use "mama" when they want love or food, and "baba" when they want fun (baba is often baby's first version of "dada" because the "b" sounds are easier than the "d" ones -- if you try it with your mouth you can see how the b is made with just the lips in front, but the d involves more advanced tongue-to-roof-of-mouth action). But just because they associate you with those qualities, it doesn't mean that they don't mean "mama" when they say it. At 2.5, my daughter knows full well that I am "mama" but she still uses it as a go-to when she falls down and ouches her knee, or when thunder wakes her up and scares her.

Listen also for "hi." It's an easy word for babies and they LOVE that they can have a little conversation with you -- so be sure to say "hi" back!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]If I say "mama," to DD, she'll whisper back, "Dadadadada," and grin.  The stinker. 
    Posted by GC1016[/QUOTE]
    ha ha, she got mommy's sense of humor! KARMA

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I love this language stuff!  We are having a lot of fun with it.
    I have definitely noticed that the muh muh muh is more getting tired or hungry and the bAH RAH BRAH DAH!!! is for playing.
    When I was out last weekend my husband noticed that she started to muh muh muh, and he got her a bottle of milk and she was very pleased.  I have found, too, that she's usually happy to nurse if she's muh muh muh'ing.

AND yesterday we were reading Barnyard Dance, which starts with "stomp your feet, clap your hands", and she clapped her hands.  I tried it again a few minutes later and she repeated.  It's amazing to watch her start to understand what we say!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

DD does that!  She has a creepy talking mirror where hyper kids sing "If you're happy and you know it" and she claps her hands.  She also waves hi/bye and high-five's. 

And, yes, the payback has begun. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

Sing / play If You're happy and you know it...My older daughter loves to sing it and my little one claps along (at the right times).  It's adorable.  We do it in the car a lot, so it's hard to stomp feet, but we're going to try and teach that to the little one, soon :) 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Actually, I'm starting to find that she DOES seem to say the mumumum at hungry times, as well as other times! She's also a clapping queen, and recently I've noticed that whenever I do the sign for "more" when I'm feeding her, she claps in response when she seems to want more, and if she's getting tired/cranky when feeding and I sign "more" she doesn't clap in response!  Interesting.

My DH will be happy if I tell him the dada/baba thing, Lemon, as she is saying lots of "babababa" as well.

ETA: Also, I swear she says "up", but again, not sure if it's just my imagination... And I do think she says a version of "hi!"  It's so crazy to imagine her little self actually *talking*!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Such fun developments!
    It's crazy to think that some of you are already dealing with feeding solids and speech.  You were still pregnant when I first joined the club... not to mention we planned our weddings together!

I think DD is starting to get to the distractable phase, but for now it's really cute.  Last night when I was trying to BF before bed she kept leaning back and looking up at me to smile.  And it was like she reeeally wanted to make eye contact.  So precious.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]Actually, I'm starting to find that she DOES seem to say the mumumum at hungry times, as well as other times! She's also a clapping queen, and recently I've noticed that whenever I do the sign for "more" when I'm feeding her, she claps in response when she seems to want more, and if she's getting tired/cranky when feeding and I sign "more" she doesn't clap in response!  Interesting. My DH will be happy if I tell him the dada/baba thing, Lemon, as she is saying lots of "babababa" as well. ETA: Also, I swear she says "up", but again, not sure if it's just my imagination... And I do think she says a version of "hi!"  It's so crazy to imagine her little self actually *talking*!

I'm always pushing Nurtureshock on people, but check out the chapter on language-- they say that when babies start to babble, they're memorizing all individual sounds that will link up into words. They try them out on you to see your reaction. So your job is to encourage and interact. The more you do, the more the baby will "speak." It's fascinating stuff!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I am a dreadful 2 weeks away from going back to work. I cannot believe this has gone by so fast. Thankfully my mom will be coming to help me with the first week transition...but I'm getting nervous about MIL babysitting 2 days a week. She keeps talking about taking DD on her "rounds" to basically show her off to her friends. I'm not really OK with that - and thankfully neither is DH. I'm nervous about letting her know that we expect her to be here at our home the majority of the time with DD, keeping her on a routine and being a part of her growth and development. I fear it won't go over well, and we may end up paying for daycare..which honestly is fine with me at this point. At lesat I know the real babysitter will keep her to a schedule as best she can, and stimulate her brain instead of just snuggling with her and being selfish. 

Is it unreasonable for me to have these expectations? I do'nt mind an occasional outing - but I would prefer they be in DD's best interest rather than her grandmother's. YOu know, like a playground, a walk, a park, the beach...not some lady's house in Lynnfield with no baby toys, no crib, no fun sounds or sights...and I hate the thought of her being in a carseat all day. 

Slight vent, sorry. I keep having nightmares about various people caring for DD while I'm not around and coming to find her crying uncontrollably...I so wish we could afford a single-income. :-(

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

Silver - I can't speak from experience, since both sets of grandparents live far from us, but I wish my kids had some extra snuggling from their grandparents :)  Stimulation and all that is great, but so is grandma time :)

Try to relax and see how it goes, she probably will want to show her off the first little while (I know my mom was over the moon when we were visiting and I let her take DD to the bank and to run errands with her for the first time!)  It may take a few weeks before things settle into a routine - I am guessing these will be hard weeks on you - transitioning back can be stressful, but try to stick with it long enough to give MIL a chance before you decide it won't work.

Can you tell my parents are visiting this week?  Haven't seen them since November, and the kids have changed so much!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I definitely don't expect her to stay put all day - but like I said I'd like it if she were taking DD on walks or trips to the park, etc rather than just to her friends' house. I don't really understand why her friends can't come to our house.

I also think it is something that might be better later rather than now - I'd like for them to figure out a rhythm/routine before she starts carting her all around town. I forgot to mention that she also thought I would be OK with her dropping DD off with whichever family member happened to be available on Mondays while hse goes and plays some old lady game. Uh, no. we asked you to be the caregiver and you chose Mondays, and I am not OK with DD just being passed off to someone else randomly. Especially when one of those people is 400lbs and literally sits in a chair all day. Exactly how is she going to take care of an infant? 

Trust me, I am not against Grandma snuggling time. My parents also live 900 miles away and I wish they could snuggle with her too. But a line has to be drawn, and I think there's a difference in this case where Grandma is also the care provider and therefore has additional responsibilities and priorities that should come before being a Grandma. 

We'll see...you're right and the first few weeks are going to be tough...right now I'm the only person who makes any effort to create a routine for DD; so the fact that 3 other people will be with her throughout the week - and one of them my MIL who I have issues with in general, makes me extremely anxious. 

Have fun with your parents canuk! My mom is coming in 2 weeks (to help with that first week's transition - can't wait)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

oh boy, sounds like there are some other dynamics at work!  FWIW,
    I definitely would NOT be ok with the random family drop off either :)

Try to enjoy the last of your maternity leave Silver!

I am at work today, my parents visit for like 10 days, in our small house, so we all need a bit of time apart anyway :)  DD is home with them today, but DS is at daycare.  I feel a bit sad for him, but my mom wasn't sure she could handle the two of them, and my Dad, well he's a 67 year old guy - loves to play with the kids but I'm not sure he knows or ever knew how to change a diaper :) 

Talk about being off routine - I leave on a work trip the day my parents leave, then the day after I return we're headed in the other direction for some family stuff on DH side, then my sister and her family will visit shortly after we return... we hope to get back to a routine by September :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Silver, that's going to be rough to go through.  Best of luck!
    I definitely would not be okay with the random family drop off, but the visiting / off routine might actually be easier now than in a few months.  For us, a nap schedule didn't really evolve until 7 months or so, plus right now your LO is not mobile so she won't be able to eat any tchochkes when visiting random old ladies!  As she becomes more mobile, your MIL might naturally see the ease of more baby-friendly outings.

I swear our LO said "yeah" last night when I asked her if she wanted yogurt.  My husband even called from the other room "Did she just say yeah??"  :)  Anyway, she makes a sort of affirmative sound when I offer her more of anything.
    Last night at bed time, I picked her up and she burped and then she did a *spectacular* throw up.  Her first big girl throw up.  She seemed totally fine after that and is fine now.  I am debating in my mind whether it was because we let her eat a ton of hummus, or because I ate fish and chips (I felt ill from the grease; not sure how fast that would transfer to her), or just one of those things.
    Anyway, she woke up at 1 AM and was acting really hungry, so I nursed her.  Previously, she had been going from 7 PM to between 4 and 7 AM.  I felt like her stomach was empty and I feel like I did the right thing, but I'm a little nervous she will want to nurse again tonight at 1.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

IPW - so cute!!

Silver - good luck, it's a hard transition all around, and it's easy to get swept up in the worries about childcare.  When I went back to work I had major jealousy issues with my MIL, who cares for DD 2-3 days per week.  These manifested by me being overly critical of her (not to her, but to my DH, who got stressed out by it).  My advice to you would be for you and DH to decide what the non-negotiables are (usually naps and eating, like others said above), then write out a schedule for your MIL.  Not a to-the-minute micromanaging type schedule, but a general schedule for the day and let MIL know, gently but firmly, that the times may not be hard and fast, but she must follow this general schedule in order to make your DD's day *and night* go smoothly.  It helped us to let my MIL and my mom know that the nights were HORRIBLE if the day schedule was not followed.  This made them more careful about following it.  Good luck!

In our news, we have a TOOTH!  :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

Poppy makes a really good point about the daytime schedule affecting the night time... when DD was just a couple of months old, my mom visited us - she was the much anticipated first and only grandchild at that point - and she held her the ENTIRE 4 days she was with us.  While I was happy for them both, it took AGES after she left to get DD to be ok on her own in the bouncey seat or whatnot, even for a few minutes.  Lesson learned :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jewelsagem. Show jewelsagem's posts

Yay Poppy a tooth!  That must feel so validating after probably, what 5 months or so of chalking everything up to teething!!  We are still waiting for that first pearly white...any day now, I'm sure of it ;)

Medford, at 8.5 months we are suddenly up at 1am to eat again, after about a month of STTN.  She's eating a ton during the day too, and just grew out of a diaper size, so I guess she just needs it!  It is tough though to revert back to that after being spoiled with multiple uninterrupted hours.  Hope she's feeling better today!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

[QUOTE]Medford - when you give your DS hummus, do you give it straight.  On a pita or something?  I bought some plain the other day and wondering best way to introduce it.
    Posted by IPWBride[/QUOTE]
    Congratulations on the tooth!
    We first gave it to her on a spoon, which she loved, and then on those cracker things, baby mum mums.  I would break off a piece of cracker, dip it, and hand it to her.
    Funny: today I tried to give her a piece of cracker plain, she swiped it through her mouth like she normally does to lick the hummus, found there was nothing on it, and threw the cracker.  Repeated 3 times, then she gave up on crackers.  :)
    But we are on hummus hiatus today.  Just in case it is upsetting her stomach, although I kind of doubt it.
    She is also working on teeth #5 and #6, so I think that might be related.  I know they say it's an old wives' tale that teething causes stomach upset, but she does not drool at all when teething, but I hear her swallowing constantly.  I would think that would lead to stomach upset.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Silver, the sleeping at night argument has been our best tactic for convincing my parents and DH's mom to maintain our schedule/routine.  When my MIL, who also enjoys taking the LOs on her grandma's pride and joy tour of all her friends' homes realized her dear, beloved son was then up all night with DS b/c he napped all day in the car at weird times, she definitely respected our schedule more after that.  Granted, she only occasionally sits.  If she was a regular caretaker, I think I would ask that a routine be followed, but I do think i would need to be ok with periodic visits to friends, errands, etc., being worked in at appropriate times during the routine.  I most certainly would not be ok with her dropping off a child at with someone else.