June Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: June Infants and Toddlers

Good luck, Silver!  There is a lot of anxiety involved in getting ready to return to work and I can only imagine having a MIL involved makes it more complicated.  I hope it will work out if you explain that DD will never sleep more at night if she doesn't have a routine during the day.

Has anyone else ever noticed that different bottles show different measurements?  I use Ameda pump bottles and Dr. Brown's bottles.  For example, the Ameda bottles might show just over 3 oz in one and just over 2 oz in the other... But when I pour it into a Dr. Brown's, it shows less than 5 oz.  Not cool!!  I really don't think you lose that much liquid in the transfer, so I'm convinced either one or the other bottle is off.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Silver- don't have much to add, but think that telling MIL that she should have her friends over to visit instead of going out. You can also tell her that going around in the car messes up the sleep schedule.  I know it does for my DS! 

Fram- I wondered this too, seems like I'll have pumped a certian amt. of oz and it looks different in the dr. browns and the drop-ins (which i figure is because of the soft plastic).  I don't get how it would vary, and oz. is an oz!

AFM- DS is 8 weeks and his sleep schedule is really beginning to wear on me. He doesn't go down for the night until 1 am, if we're lucky 12 or 12:30.  If he goes down at 1 he's usually up by 4 and then eats again around 6.  It's just not enough sleep for me to get through the day. He goes back down for a longer nap in the morning, and if I'm home I'll go back to sleep.  Tomorrow I have an appt. at 9, so I may only have 4 hrs of sleep!   I've been reading weissbluth and it says you can start to sleep train around 6 weeks (i think?).  Is there anything I can do to help him go down earlier?  Last night he ate and ate. Fell asleep a few times, 7, 9, 10 but woke up 10-15 min later each time. Rocking, soothing, nothing seems to work. As soon as we put him down he cries. I'm sure you will just tell me that he's too young and it will get better... but it's just really wearing on me and even my relationship with DH since I'm always exhausted.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

ajuly, I feel for you. Is it possible he's going through (another) growth spurt? I think that's the most annoying answer - but the one I always got when DD was sleeping sporatically and it was the only thing that made sense. 

Weissbluth says you can start sleep training that early as long as you know he's not waking up from hunger. If you can be sure that he's got a full tummy and he's still waking up...I would probably give it a shot if I were in your shoes. If you can stand it! 

I know I've mentioned this before but have you tried bottle feeding him at night? Once I did that, DD definitely started sleeping longer and more predictably. It also takes much less time so I get more sleep even if she's still waking up every 3-4 hours (right now she's pretty consistent at 4 hours although we had a few 6.5 hour stretches last week and I'm hoping those come back soon!). 

Basically I pump a bottle before I go to bed, and that's her overnight feeding ready to go. Then when she wakse up I give her that, takes about 15-20 minutes, put her back down with a tight swaddle, and pump another bottle for the next time. Granted, I only have to pump for 8 minutes to get 4oz total, so depending how long you need to pump, this may or may not be efficient for you...

ALso, I know this isn't the popular solution but you could try a bottle of formula in the evening to see if he goes down sooner. I did/do this and just made sure to pump while DH gave her the bottle. It has NOT had any impact on my supply whatsoever, and I think it helped start the longer sleeps as well. It is worth a shot in my opinion, especially if you are this exhausted. 

I hope you get some sleep soon!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Silver,
    Regarding your MIL sitch... I feel your pain.  I was there 2 years ago, in fact.  I was just like you- fiercly protective of my first born DD!  There certainly WAS a transition period there where I was so angry that they weren't 200% supportive of my BFing (they were 95% on board but that wasn't good enough for me at the time!), they didn't purell their hands before touching her each and every time, they didn't have the nicest carseat, etc.  I have to say, having my inlaws care for my daughter full time has actually been a huge BLESSING!  She is now almost 3 years old and they have their own relationship with her.  Now that they know her better, they really are her [2nd] best advocates!  They did "show her off" to their friends, which really grated on me, but with a few kindly worded reminders about keeping her on the schedule they respected that. 
    IMO, whoever has the child the most (be it daycare, the parents, or family) should be the one making the schedule.  If they have her M-Fr then let them come up with a napping schedule that works for them, and then you follow it on weekends?  A child can never have too many people that love them!  Its soooo much better than day care, trust me!!  You do not want your child paraded around and told when to nap and when to wake up and stuff. Its hard to let go, esp when its someone you can't really complain about!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Ajuly - Weissbluth says you can start to let them cry between 6-8 weeks and 4 months.  It seemed to me that he meant especially fussy/colicky babies.  I think only you can decide if your baby falls into that category and needs help being trained to sleep.  Have you tried anything like swaddling or white noise?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Silver - one other thing that helped us with daytime schedules was asking the caretaker to write down times DD ate, went to sleep, and woke up.  This was very helpful for me when I came home from work, and it also forces the caretaker to pay attention to such things.  I know (from experience, unfortunately) that there was a time when if I didn't write down what time the baby ate, I would end up with a very hungry, cranky baby on my hands, realizing too late it had been like 4 hours since she'd eaten.  By asking the caretaker to write that down, it empowers them, and for us led to our caretakers taking pride in the keeping of the schedule.  I left a little notebook and pen in plain view, with "ate," "slept", "woke" on it, with the morning's occurances before MIL/mom got there.  That way, too, they could see that *I* was also writing it down - not just forcing them to do it. Now DD's 7+ months and everyone's in a good routine, so we don't need to do that anymore.

Fram - yes, and it's very annoying.  I now do everything in a measuring cup then pour it into the bottle, so I know exactly what she's getting.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Slightly off topic, and perhaps TMI: my DD is 7 1/2 months old, I stopped pumping/nursing when she was 6 mos, and I just am getting my first PP visit from AF.  Did anyone else experience a REALLY HEAVY first visit?  I'm feeling like I've been hit by a mack truck! 

Back on to the babies: DD finally has started sleeping in her own room.  We've done two nights in a row so far; the first night was tough (for me), but she slept straight through, and last night was easier.  I'm glad to have made the transition, and I'm sure she's sleeping better in her comfy crib than in the pack n play! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

We do swaddle and use white noise with DS. Also, rocking/singing. He doesn't take a bottle very well, fits of crying in between drinking so overnight this would not be productive. I just gave him a bottle and it took 1hr and 15 min to get it all down and now he's hungry still!  Last night same story tried to get him down for 4 hours and finally went down for a longer stretch than 15 min at 1 am.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

luvRIboy - With DD1, my return of AF was horrible. I felt like a 12 year old again with no idea on how to handle it.  It was so heavy and hard to deal with.  I hadn't had so many "accidents" since middle school.  It did get somewhat better after 4-6 months and just as I was starting to feel like I was back on track I got pregnant with DS and DD2.  After they were born, I got an iud at my 6 weeks PP visit.  So far, it's been awesome.  Sorry I don't have any suggestions for you but I did go through the same thing and it did get somewhat better.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Thank you dz!  Just good to know I'm not alone with this.  It is awful!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Silvr - sorry about the anxiety around going back to work.  I hope once you do go back and everyone gets acclimated it all works out!

medford - my DS woke up around 11:30 a night he didn't nurse before bed (which like you is not the norm usually he wakes to nurse between 2-5) so I nursed him and then for a couple of nights he did the same thing so the next time he did it I just had DH go in and pat his back or rock him to see if he really needed to nurse or if it was becoming more of a habit and he was fine... went right back to sleep and didn't wake up til is usual time around 4:30/5 - I would say if she does it again but there aren't other circumstances for her to be hungry at that time just soothe her - DS got back on his regular schedule without an issue.

Yay poppy on the tooth!

Fram we had that same thing happen with the madela bottles and avent ones..I always went with what the madela bottles measures since those are the ones I pumped into and DS was always fine

Ajuly - sorry to hear about your sleep schedule.  I wish I had advice.  DS would sleep in his swing at night usually falling asleep around 7:30/8 waking up around 10pm (which DH would take care of him because I went to bed after nursing DS before putting him in the swing) and then DH would bring him up with him to bed around 11pm and then I would nurse when he woke up during the night. The swing for us was the best thing ever!

Some people I know who had babies who did not like to be put down purchased moby wraps and put their LOs in them...maybe that would be helpful during the early evening hours because he can be held but you can do other things and maybe he will fall asleep being close to you and sleep longer than 10-15 min too.  He may be overtired and having trouble getting to sleep which could be why he is waking up so often and not going down until 1am.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Ajuly, my heart goes out to you.  That's a tough stage, but hopefully it won't last long.
    As LLLE mentioned, is there any way your partner can take an evening shift and you can go to bed earlier?
    I know for me, I felt badly at first asking my husband because he had been at work all day, but the fact of the matter is that taking care of the baby is also work all day!
    So for those tough few weeks that you're in the middle of, I usually went to bed at 9 and my husband had custody of the baby until 12 and they would hang out and snuggle (I think he would usually watch TV).  If the baby needed to nurse during that time, I would do that, but he would basically bring her in and then take her away again after.
    Even though it was fragmented, at least it was a couple of hours of sleep.
    I think in the beginning we felt like we both had to gather around her if she was crying, and then we realized that the better plan was to have one of us deal with it and the other one sleep!  And when we actually laid out the times and expectations, it made things so much better.  Feeling like I was off duty for a couple of hours let me relax enough to actually fall asleep.
    Wishing you lots of luck --

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I am finding that all of the cliches about loving your child are so true.  I really never knew I could love something this much!  DD goes to sleep by 8:00 and when I go to bed 2+ hours later I am missing her and wishing I could hold her!  Probably because I get to see her for less than 2 hours before she goes to bed.  Isn't it crazy how much more time our babies spend at daycare than with us?  Sigh

ETA: Can you tell I was having a sappy day? :o)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

ajuly, how does DS sleep during the day?  also, do you think he's taking a really long time to eat with fits of crying between becuase the food is bothering him?  around 9 or 10 weeks old we started putting our twins to bed at 6pm, which really helped with the nights - i think before that they were just getting too tired and worked up which made for bad sleep - you might try that?  GL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: June Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]We do swaddle and use white noise with DS. Also, rocking/singing. He doesn't take a bottle very well, fits of crying in between drinking so overnight this would not be productive. I just gave him a bottle and it took 1hr and 15 min to get it all down and now he's hungry still!  Last night same story tried to get him down for 4 hours and finally went down for a longer stretch than 15 min at 1 am.  
    Posted by ajuly09[/QUOTE]
    Ajuly -- does the baby throw up a lot? Does he make a tongue-thrusting face like he has a bad taste in his mouth? He could have reflux. What you're describing is also a common reaction to oversupply/overactive letdown in the mom. We were lucky enough to experience both.

The babies on here are unusually compliant when it comes to sleeping, but everyone I know in real life has experienced exactly what you describe at 8 weeks -- just babies being babies. They cry and scream and want to be held all the time and when they finally do sleep they only do so for a few hours at a time. We napped our daughter in a swing at 8 weeks and that helped a lot (she had reflux so she needed to be upright after eating). I wore her in the moby whenever I was awake. The absolute best thing for getting her to sleep at that age was holding her while bouncing on an exercise ball. It's still too early to worry about forming bad habits. But of course you can start moving the baby from what sounds like a nocturnal schedule to a diurnal one.

Personally, I think 8 weeks is way too early for sleep training. The baby is still getting used to being on the outside, away from you. I know it's really hard and exhausting and it makes everyone snappish and fighty, but it's such a short time to sacrifice for the most important person in your life. Most large mammals gestate for a year or more, but when humans began walking upright our hips shrank; around the same time our babies' heads grew to hold their big brains. As a result, our babies are born early and are much more vulnerable than those of other animals. I'm not a big fan of Sears, but I do think his "fourth trimester" thing is spot-on.

FYI -- at this age, "sleeping through the night" is 5 hours. And breastfed babies digest more quickly and may need to refuel more often.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

DS nurses really well (unless i eat asparagus I'll never do that again!) but the bottle is what he does not do well with. The pedi suggested trying 2 x's a day to get him more used to it. So, I won't have the bottle as his last feeding as it def. does not soothe him.  He sleeps a lot during the day. I'm noticing that especially today. I thought it was just that we've been out and about and he sleeps since we're in the car, but we're home today and he dozes on and off pretty much after each feeding. He's only really been up today for an hour total and its 1pm. I wondered about being over tired too.. he actually went down really early (for him) last night at 9:30, woke up at 10, got rocked and slept till 1:30. Then down again after that feeding.  Maybe we're headed in the right direction.  I don't think he'd be ready to go down much before 9 at this point, he does seem very awake once DH gets home around 7. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Our daughter was born nocturnal too -- we used to call her the werebaby because she would wake up at nightfall and scream her way through to morning. We started easing her towards a diurnal lifestyle around 2 months, but it was a process.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Our DD was also nocturnal - it seems to be pretty common. She was happiest to be up from around 6-7pm until 11 or midnight, with a brief snooze, then party again until 3-4 am with more of the sleep/eat/sleep the rest of the time from birth until around 11 weeks. It nearly killed me, because I have never been an up late type of person. My husband, who can handle that schedule better was working while I was on maternity leave, so I felt like I needed to be the one to be up with her, but trying to get her and myself transitioned back to days took several weeks, so my first few weeks back to work when my leave (12 weeks) was over nearly killed me. I wish you the best of luck - it was hard for us, but it eventually happened.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I'm glad others can share similar experiences, it's hard to talk to my friends with LOs who have babies that sleep for 8-10 hrs a night at this age. It was making me feel like I was doing something wrong!  Lemon- I don't think he has reflux, possibly though.  He was spitting up a ton from oversupply but seems to be doing better lately.  I can tell when he's going to spit up though because he makes a smacking sound with his mouth and then it all lets loose. This has happened a few times w/o any spit up afterwards, so maybe that's related to reflux?  
       DH is a great help before he goes to bed, but he gets up for work early so no sense for both of us to be tired, when he has to use brain cells in the morning.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE]Slightly off topic, and perhaps TMI: my DD is 7 1/2 months old, I stopped pumping/nursing when she was 6 mos, and I just am getting my first PP visit from AF.  Did anyone else experience a REALLY HEAVY first visit?  I'm feeling like I've been hit by a mack truck!
    Posted by luvRIboy[/QUOTE]
    luvr,
    I had lochia for 5 weeks and then at my 6 week postpartum checkup the doctor was like "so, have you menstruated yet" and I said no and then she went in for the actual exam and was like: um, yeah, you are right now."  It was quite the mess. 
    I've always had a heavy, long flow.  Even on the pill (which had decreased things significantly) it lasted about 5 days and was pretty heavy (super tampon in 2 hours).  Postpartum my first few were epic.  I think my first period was 11 days and I was going through superplus tampons like an elephant with  hemophelia.  Then, 3 weeks later, I got ANOTHER period! ugh.  It's settled a bit since I've stopped nursing and have gotten back on the pill but it's still heavier than it used to be and still kind of thicker or something weird like that.
    The good news is my cramps are much better than they used to be. I guess my uterus is all stretched out or tired or something;)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

AJuly, FWIW, DH or I literally held DD for nearly all of her entire first 12 weeks.  Exhausting!  But it passes so quickly that apparently my DH can barely remember that now.  As others have said, you need to cope the best you can, and if that means sleeping while holding him or having him in your bed, well, although not ideal, it is what it is. 

As for us, DD is almost 14 months now!  Where does the time go?  She is still such a little angel!  She's started to stand without holding on, but still no walking yet.  Food continues to be a challenge.  She is becoming so finicky!!  We try as besy we can though.  She has started spitting things out and smearing them all over her face and highchair.  That's fun. 

She also had a "high fever" bug recently that has been going around her daycare.  Anyone else have this?  So scary.  It's just a high fever for a few days with no other symptoms.  Thankfully it went away.  The pedi wanted to test for a UTI, and I know a catheter is no fun.  Since the fever went down we managed to avoid this torture.

l also can't wait to take her to our town pond!  I think she will love swimming :) 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Pacifier Question!!!

My DD is a little over 2.5 years old.  She still uses her paci's for nap, bed, and occasionally for long car rides.  She has always been a great sleeper- taking 2 hour naps still and about 11hrs at night.  I am embarrassed a little that she is still using a pacifier.  I never really put any effort into weaning it away and figured she'd just tire of it.  She has not.  She is still using her precious pink blankie too- its not looking pretty these days!

She is only allowed to have the paci during sleeping (or car rides, as I said) and she never really asks for it between then.  However, at bedtime its just part of her ritual.  I've half-assed tried like twice to take away the paci but can't deal when she takes 3+ hours to sleep, I finally cave in and just give it to her (I have only "tried" taking it away like twice bc I dont want her to think I am not serious when the day comes that she DOES need it taken away, for real).

Question is...  does it really matter that she has a security blanket and paci?  My concern is really her teeth.  I am going to ask her dentist, as she has her first appt next week.  But... I feel bad taking it away because I guess I don't really MIND that she has something that helps her sleep.  I am the same way- I love the scent of my sheets, I have usually had a stuffed animal, etc in bed with me just to hold (lame, I know I know!!) so I am not sure how strict to be.

Is your impression that a girl thats turning 3 in Sept way too old for a paci?  I'm not asking for tips on weaning per say, just the general concensus.  When I've asked around, my other mommy friends all say their kids do NOT use their pacis anymore and gave them up on their own!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My son didn't use a paci much but I think an almost 3 year old is too big for one.  I'd let her keep the blanket though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I think most people's off the cuff reaction would be that she's getting too old for a paci, but I would ask the dentist and go from there.  It doesn't matter what anyone's opinion is if it makes her happy and it's harmless.  I've been reading up on thumbsucking and I think what I read was that it's not a concern (in terms of the palate and teeth) until 5 years.  Up until then any affects are reversible.  You would think I'd remember better since I just read it within the past week... But it was so far off from being something to worry about, that I just read it and thought, Oh we're fine.

BTW I still sleep with a Pound Puppy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]I'm glad others can share similar experiences, it's hard to talk to my friends with LOs who have babies that sleep for 8-10 hrs a night at this age. It was making me feel like I was doing something wrong!  Lemon- I don't think he has reflux, possibly though.  He was spitting up a ton from oversupply but seems to be doing better lately.  I can tell when he's going to spit up though because he makes a smacking sound with his mouth and then it all lets loose. This has happened a few times w/o any spit up afterwards, so maybe that's related to reflux?      DH is a great help before he goes to bed, but he gets up for work early so no sense for both of us to be tired, when he has to use brain cells in the morning. 
    Posted by ajuly09[/QUOTE]

Reflux is more extreme -- he'd be making horrible faces and arching his back and screaming and resisting the breast.

One thing I came to find is that people only remember the baby stage they're in at the moment. This was true for me as well. So a friend could be telling me that her kid is an amazing sleeper and goes for 10 hours straight and getting kind of braggy about it, but the same friend would have been crying a week before that her baby wakes every two hours and screams all the time. So I wouldn't put too much stock in what friends say.