June Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Re: June Infants and Toddlers

Hugh--My daughter had hers until she was about 2.  We took her to the dentist and the dentist asked us if she was using one because it looked to her like she was.  The dentist did say that if we stopped that habit at that time that her teeth would return to normal.  We pulled it from her that night and never looked back.  It actually wasn't as big of a deal as we thought it was going to be.  

I would keep the blanket though.  Our daughter (3 in July) has a stuffed lion that's she's had since she was a baby.  It's well loved now, but it's such a cute reminder of her babyhood and she still loves it to this day.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I think that the too old for a pacifier thing is mostly perception.  The doctor/dentist will have more information, but I think it is not until 4 or 5 that it becomes an issue with teeth.
    It's great that she understand the limits around when it is and is not appropriate.  Just do what you think is right, and keep in mind that you're breaking a habit that is years in the making.

I still have my blankie...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

DD1 (actually none of my kids although I sort of wish DD2 would have) stopped using a paci at about 3 month when she started her love affair with her thumb.  I almost wish she had stuck with the paci since you can't take a thumb away and there have been times when she has sucked it almost raw.

I've had friends who had success with the "Binkie Fairy" who came when they were 2.5 to 3 and took all their binkies so other little babies could use them.  In return the "Binkie Fairy" left them a big girl gift.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I've also heard of the "Binkie Fairy", and of people using the transition to the "big girl bed" as the time to lose the paci, too. 

As for the blanket, I am 35 and still have mine...I don't sleep with it anymore, but still have it, and occasionally, I admit, will "need" it after a really rough day.  Those silky edges just make me feel better!  The object (blanket, toy, whatever) can be a great self-comforter.  I know someone who has a teeny square of her baby blanket in her wallet, so it's always with her.  Just a reminder that she can get through whatever. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

When I took my 3yo to the dentist, she assumed she had a paci for an extended time because of some subtle thing in how DDs teeth lined up - she was quite surprised to hear that she never used one!  So, whatever a dentist may discover about your LO's teeth in the future may or may not have anything to do with the paci

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Thanks for all the great input so far.  We're headed to the dentist today, so we'll see what she says about the teeth!  Her teeth already seem to stick out a bit, but I don't know if thats just a toddler thing or from the paci.

I have a very "reasonable" child, so instead of just taking it away, I've been practicing with her to try to rest without the paci, and she is not allowed to have it for at least an hour after laying down.  So far, she's waited it out, even with constant reassurance that she can do it.  She verbalized that paci's are for babies.  I think it would be hours and hours before she fell asleep without it.  I hope I an not sending mixed messages by allowing it after she essentially waits long enough!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

It's been very slow on here, people must be busy with summer plans!  Just wanted to say that DH started sleeping a lot better, it only took a few weeks since he was hardly sleeping!  He has been going for 5-6 hr stretches and on Friday night he slept for 8 hrs straight. When I woke up I was in pain though!  I guess all this is a waiting game to start getting on schedules! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

That's awesome ajuly!!

DD had her 4 month check-up last week. She is 25 inches and 13 lbs 10 oz. She was not herself ALL weekend. Not sure if it was from the shots or what. She normally naps 4 times a day, but she would not go down for naps or if she did she'd only sleep for 30 minutes. It was exhausting!! She was still pretty happy though. Daycare says she napped as usual this morning, so hopefully she will be back on schedule. Daycare thought maybe she's more aware of noises around her, etc., which is definitely a possibility. She is definitely more aware of things while nursing… Such as mama eating a Nutrigrain bar and crackling the wrapper. Well excuuuuse me DD! :o)

She also woke up at 4:30 this morning, so I am hurting!  I've actually been waking up super early on my own due to back pain.  Apparently enduring a pregnancy and/or picking up an infant all day means no more sleeping on my stomach.  And my hair is starting to shed, but nothing drastic... yet.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Shots very often cause general malaise for a few days, not to worry. :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Fram - I was always a stomach sleeper.  I stopped during pregancy when I was no longer able.  For some reason, I just can't do it anymore.  My lower back just kills after a minute.  I feel like my bum is sinking in and pulling my back with it.  Perhaps its because my hips loosened too much?? But wanted to let you know that you aren't alone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I can't sleep on my stomach any more, but it's not b/c of my back my b00bs get in the way now! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks ladies!  The b00bs definitely don't help either!

Totally true, Kar.  It's to be expected, but still rough!  After her 2 month shots, DD basically had a cycle of crying (OK screaming) briefly, eating, and then sleeping, but was fine the next day.  This time it seemed to throw her off for a few days.  Saturday night she woke up after less than an hour and DH ended up taking her for a walk in the stroller until she fell asleep.  We have never done anything like that before!!  Poor guy was so overwhelmed.  But hopefully she is back to normal today.