Kindergarden age

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mommatothree. Show mommatothree's posts

Kindergarden age

Are there any town in Mass that don't have an Aug. 31st age 5 deadline? I went to the state's website and the list is outdated.  My little one is going to miss it by a few days and I hate it.  If I send him to a private Kindergarden who will take him, would a school take him fr 1st grade the following year?  thanks in advance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: Kindergarden age

Hello
    My son misses the deadline by 12 days and the towns don't care.  Some towns now have an age requirement on first grade, I'd look into that.  Honestly my son was fine with going the next year.  He's the second oldest kid in his class. Someone's birthday is September 2nd. He also goes to a Catholic school, who have to go by their town's age requirement. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

This is the list I know about:  http://www.doe.mass.edu/ess/kindergarten.aspx

I don't know when it was last updated, but it does say to contact the superintendent of the district to be sure the info is accurate.  Most seem to be 9/1, but some have other dates in early September and there are a few as late as 12/31.

Something to know about, though it doesn't appear that many towns in Eastern MA participate, is that some districts have "school choice."  Through this program, you can apply to other towns to send your child to school in that town.  If they have available slots, your kid can go to school in that town for no cost, but you must arrange transportation.  The other thing is that YOUR town doesn't have to participate in the program...just the town with the school you want to send your kid to.  It's worth looking into.

I've heard different things about 1st grade after private K.  The consensus in my mothers of twins group was that public school won't take them until 2nd grade, but it might vary by district.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

I have to admit, I had no idea that this varied by town - I thought it was a state mandate! Live and learn. I can't provide anything better than that list already given, but I just wanted to offer a thought based on what I am seeing in my town (and many others in the area). Many, many parents are choosing to hold their summer month birthday kids until the following year, so they will already be six when starting K. I mention it b/c I do have a DS who will start K this fall (at age 5.5), but my DD is a September baby, and this "redshirting" practice is one of the main reasons I am not even planning to find a private school that might take her. Even though I think she will be ready for K at 5, I think it will be tough to be placed in a classroom with kids who are more than a full year older than her. I think it is probably even harder for a little boy, unless he has a few older siblings and knows how to hold his own among big kids. There was recently an interesting special on redshirting and how it impacts kids in lots of ways, both good and bad - but overall, it is making a mess of this seemingly simple decision! Hope you don't mind my two cents, and best of luck finding what will work best for your family.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, my, if that's universally true, that many people are holding their kids until they are 6 for kindergarten, I'd be thankful DS is just missing the cutoff.  The disadvantage he'll experience for being far younger (a year is very significant at that age) than the majority of his class will persist well beyond kindergarten - that's why parents are waiting, for the persistent advantage their older and more mature kids will have over the "babies."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I have July babies and have no intention of redshirting them. I was talking to the towns preschool teacher and she says it's a mess. She says everyone should go if they meet the cutoff - except for a very few cases. She says they are finding that July and August kids who are held back are often bored and thus not better students, but worse ones.
    I do have a friend with a September baby and she sent him to Catholic Kindergarten and then had him repeat K at the public school. So he had something to do every day when he was 5, but was in the correct class with his peers when he started at the public school.
    And redshirting seems to happen more in the affluent towns - where people have more options for private preschools or another year of daycare expenses. Seems in less affluent towns lots more people send their summer babies to K at age 5.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My son again a September baby is doing great and he went to K days shy of his sixth birthday.  He will be 12 in Sepember and will be in the 6th grade. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

MissLily - I totally agree that it's making a mess of things, and it is a sort of elitist trend - I mean, you have to have the $ to either pay daycare or preschool for a whole extra year (or be a SAHP), but I think it is becoming more and more common. I would say my town is very middle of the road in terms of affluence - some wealthy, many working families. In my son's preschool class, there are 4 kids who are July/August babies. ALL of them are staying in preschool. I was a little stunned to see that when next year's preschool class lists were posted. The whole thing is a bummer, and I am glad that my kids were born during months that I really have nothing to decide. (apologies to the OP for going semi-OT!)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

misslily, I think you approach parenting in a more logical manner than "many."

I'm against redshriting, but I believe in cutoffs especially if most kids in the class would be over a year older (in the areas that tends to happen).  Either the older kids will do better or the class will be full of problematic under acheivers.  Either way, not the best kindergarten experience will be had by anyone in those classes.

It's a tough thing for the OP - if no one redshirted it would be so much easier - find a nearby town that accepts him a few days under (or has an earlier cutoff) and be done with it and happy.  But, if that means he's far younger than most kids in the class, maybe that's not the best approach.  Of course, there are a million other things we don't know about going into the decision, as well...ugh.  GL!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Interesting!  Where I grew up (NYC) the cutoff was 12/31, so this is entirely new to me.  So my son (8/8) will be one of the youngest in his class when he gets to be that age.  Good to know!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

There is someone in my son's class who is almost a year younger.  Not only is he much smaller, but I know from speaking to his mother that he just doesn't see things they way the other older kids do.  School is much different then when we went. The work load and home work load is a lot more than when I was growing up (1989 graduate). I say let them stay kids and have fun at preschool a little longer.  

ETA:  I know how expensive preschool is.  I was a single mother that had her son in a pre k class in the Catholic school he attends now. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I think this is one of those situations where the parent knows what's best for their child.  I'm pg with my first but I can comment from what my parents did.  I have two brothers, one was born 12/5 and the old cut off in our town was 12/31.  My parents knew he wasn't developmentally ready to be in kindergarten so they held him back a year.  My other brother was born 9/27 and at that time the cut off was 9/30 and my parents decided to send him because he would have been bored with another year of preschool.  Two different approaches but it ended up working for my family. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LCGCmomma. Show LCGCmomma's posts

I grew up in MA, and the towns have always had different cut-offs. Where I went to kindergarten/elementary/middle school, the cut-off was in December, so I started kindergarten before I turned 5 (b-day is at the end of October). I did school choice for high school and was in a school system where the cut-off was in September, and there was a kid in my class that was literally an entire year older than I was. I kept up most of the time academically, but there were definitely times when my being that much younger did show through in my work. I didn't have the capacity developmentally to process things the same way. I was about 6 months behind some of my peers. Luckily I would like to think that I am probably an above-average student, so this was a disadvantage, but not something that really held me back overall. It was a little weird to start college while I was still 17 though.

I think that it should probably be up to the individual kid/family as to if they are ready to be moving up and starting more structured class time for kindergarten or first grade. Age alone doesn't tell you enough...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from keane5050. Show keane5050's posts

I also grew up in MA and missed the cut off date by 2 weeks.  I was MORE than ready to start school but it was not allowed.  According to my mother, no exceptions were given.  The teachers and administrators believed that even if a child was ready to begin kindergarten at a younger age there could be problems later down the line.  Being the youngest in high school is much more of an issue.  If your child is the youngest they will likely be less physically and emotionally mature in those scary adolescent years when maturity is so important.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I was also the youngest in my class throughout elementary school.  In high school I was one of the youngest, but I had a big (520) high school class.  I turned 17 the January of my senior year.  I was fine academically, but socially maybe not looking back. I'm not sure how I managed to get in earlier, but things were different then. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Here's the thing. Someone has to be the youngest and someone has to be the oldest. No matter when the cutoff date is, there will be kids all over the 12 month calendar.
    My daughter was just evaluated by our towns public preschool - due to my twins hearing loss they are both eligible to attend for free. Even with her moderate hearing loss she scored in the 77 percentile in speech and receptive language. My DS scored in the 60%. So if they are doing that well now - with a disability - I'm pretty sure they will be ready for kindergarten at age 5. Even though they will probably be the youngest in their class.
    And I really feel for the OP - I'd rather have the problem of wondering whether or not to hold them out, than wishing they could go because they missed a cut off date by a week or two.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Lily, that is fine they are July babies they would be 5 by the cut off date of August 31.  Sorry if anything I said offended you.  The OP's child misses the cut off by a few days.  I was explaining that my DS did as well and the town woudn't budge.

ETA:  Most towns make the decision when a kid is that close to the age requirement.  Usually they don't make exceptions because then they have to do it for everyone and then the classrooms are over crowded, etc. and parents will complain.  I'm trying to offer an opinion of someone who actually went through this first hand.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Winter - I totally agree that I have it easier than someone with a September baby. I must not have stated it very well.
    Sorry if I was confused or confusing.
    And I certainly wasn't offended! All good here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mommatothree. Show mommatothree's posts

Thank you all for your suggestions and thoughts!  If anyone does happen to hear of a town whose cutoff is a little later, I would love to hear of that (I'm looking to move).  DS will miss cutoff by 3 days and I would like him to go to K.  If we can't, we can't, but I wanted to see if there are any options at all to get him.  The list on the state's site is outdated (I have learned).  I contacted districts on there and they said it's incorrect.  Figures! Can't even rely on the state for accurate information!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Sounds like you'll have to make a list of towns you are interested in and call them. I'd ask both about K and First Grade. That way you'd know if it was worth it to send your LO to a private K for a year and then be able to start in First Grade.
    Not fun, I know. And I really feel for you. As I mentioned before, with July babies I get a choice, and you don't - it's not really fair.
    Good luck!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from keane5050. Show keane5050's posts

I don't know if it's the same in all towns, but in my town, if the child goes to a private school for kindergarten and 1st grade they can move into the public school for second grade regardless of their age.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mommatothree. Show mommatothree's posts

In Response to Re: Kindergarden age:
    I don't know if it's the same in all towns, but in my town, if the child goes to a private school for kindergarten and 1st grade they can move into the public school for second grade regardless of their age.
    Posted by keane5050

Do you mind me asking what town is that?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from keane5050. Show keane5050's posts

In Response to Re: Kindergarden age:
    In Response to Re: Kindergarden age : Do you mind me asking what town is that?
    Posted by mommatothree

Randolph - but I don't recommend the school system here. My daughter has been in Catholic school since day one, but the age thing wasn't an issue.  She is right in the middle with a February birthday.
    One of my neighbors went this route with her daughter who missed the cut off date by only a couple of weeks.  She is now in high school and although she is doing okay, I do see a difference in her maturity level.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1stTimeMom90709. Show 1stTimeMom90709's posts

I have been told that Weston has a similar policy though  you would need to call to verify.  We are considering that as well when we get to that point as we will miss the cut off by a few days as well. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

My son missed the Kindergarten cutoff by two weeks.  I remember thinking as young two years old that he couldn't possibly wait until six to start Kindergarten, then by age 4 he was reading, writing and doing workbooks (for fun).  I found out that if he attended a private kindergarten he could start first grade the following year so I figured we absolutely had to do it.  We looked at a place that seemed decent, and were about to sign him up and then his preschool teachers changed our minds.  They both had boys in high school, and said that in their experience, no matter how smart he is, even if he did well academically, he would be better off being the older one in later years. 

Now, he is in 5th grade and I feel that it was the right decision to wait.  He could often stand to be more challenged academically, but I have no question that socially, he is in the right place.

Sections
Shortcuts