Kindergartner handcuffed for tantrum. Your thoughts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Kindergartner handcuffed for tantrum. Your thoughts?

What do you think of this story? Teachers are calling the police for bad behavior in the classroom and this 6 year-old child was taken away in handcuffs.
    Should teachers be calling the cops? What would you do if this was your child?

http://www.boston.com/community/moms/articles/2012/04/18/ga_handcuff_case_renews_school_policing_debate/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

Re: Kindergartner handcuffed for tantrum. Your thoughts?

I'm sorry - handcuffing a six year old?  I understand she was having a violent tantrum and could have hurt someone, but handcuffs?  Taking her to the police station?  Are you kidding?  She's six years old.

Small kids have impulse control problems.  This teacher, the guidance counselor, the principal - all the adults in that situation failed her.  And the police officer who handcuffed a six year old failed, too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod1818. Show capecod1818's posts

This story made me sad for the little girl but made me wonder what kind of discipline her parents give her.  I agree that handcuffing her and bringing her to the station was a little over kill though.  She should have been put in a room by herself and her parents called to pick her up.

Makes my 2 yo temper tantrums look like nothing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

This is so sad. The parents and teachers are not doing their job to teach impulse control to this young child. A 6 year old should not be having tantrums to this level.

Whats worse is the fact that she was rewarded for her behavior. "Salecia was taken to a squad room and given a soda..." Seriously? What is this teaching her? You get a treat for acting out! This is going to make it worse.

Don't get me wrong, hauling her off in cuffs is unacceptable. But how things were handled afterward will only make her realize how her bad behavior gets her things. Not how her bad behavior limits her ability to do things.

I have a co-worker whose son kept getting kicked out of day care for his violent tantrums. So this 3 year old got to go to work with dad...sit in his office, play games all day, have a fun lunch with Dad. Once they realized he was acting out to get rewarded to spend the day with Dad the parents took a serious line. Next time he acted out he got to sit in the corner of Dad's office. No games. No fun treats. He asked us all to help out (since we'd all come to play with him not knowing he was supposed to be in punishment). After two boring days the little boy learned it was no reward to act out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from livnicole. Show livnicole's posts

Reading these types of articles always makes me think we're only getting part of this story. I work in a school with children with serious emotional and behavioral disorders. Many come from homes where they have been seriously abused and neglected or have chemical issues in their brain causing major mental health disorders. It is absolutely not uncommon for five and six year olds to physically attack teachers - kicking, punching, biting, spitting, swearing, scratching, and seriously trying to inflict harm on themselves, others, and property. When these children act out to this level, teachers, guidance counselors, administrators, or the school police officer will physically restrain them, though not generally with handcuffs. That said, in my school if students are acting up to this level we generally send them to the HOSPITAL to have a psychiatric evaluation and occassionally be admitted to a residential children's psychiatric ward, not to the police station.

I do believe that big behaviors should have big consequences, and many of my older students have been handcuffed or arrested when they attempt to assult others or become extremely destructive of property. But at six years old? A hospital would have been more appropriate.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from junglerunner. Show junglerunner's posts

Bad parents are nothing new.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FinkleKJ5. Show FinkleKJ5's posts

The kid was in the classroom taking things off the wall throwing them and threw a shelf hitting the principal.  Understanding the shelf hit an adult that was not seriously injured.  What if that shelf hit one of the other young kids in the room and done some serious harm.  Each situation is different as is each kid, but if they are not able to control a child using other means (talking/bribing) then the handcuffs might be warranted.  There are other questions too.  Was the child a danger to herself due to the tantrum.  I say when she jumped on the paper shredder and attempted to break the glass she was.  Put yourself in the cops shoes and think what you would have done with a kid throwing things at you and screaming at you.  Would you rather physically restrain them by putting your hands on the child or to handcuff them and remove yourself from any physical contact potentially hurting the child.  All in all I'm not in favor of the handcuffs, but where do you draw the line?  What if a 6 year old had a knife and attacked someone do we not handcuff them because they are a kid.  The parents are understandingly upset about their kid being put in handcuffs.  But why are they not asking themselves what led to their kid being put in handcuffs?  What is going on at home that could cause something like this.  Seems like another case of parents not wanting to take responsibilty for their kids actions.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

i think perhaps removal to the principals office and a call to the parents would have been a better way to go.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rprag. Show rprag's posts

Totally agree with school authorities.  They should do this throughout the K-12 system.  If a student is guilty of disorderly conduct in a classroom, then it is even more imperative that a student be arrested.  Do you think if a child acted this way in a store that the police would not be called?  Come on get real.

Maybe the parents will wake up when they have to pick up their child at the police station rather than at the principal's office.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Historygirl. Show Historygirl's posts

I think today we tend to overreact to every situation, instead why not just  take the child into another room to give themselves a chance to just settle down and quietly try to talk with the child with the parent present to discover what problem is and try to resolve with the child and parent together on how to work out the issue.  It could be medical or it could be emotional as well.  There's not enough people out trying to ration out problems with children.  This really should be a must.  Parents and Teachers should work together.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

My heart goes out to everyone in this story, especially the little girl.
    But... in other stories specifically about this case, they say she was already taken to the principal's office, they said they called her parents repeatedly and couldn't reach them... they were trying.
    A lot of times the reasonable and kind people who suggest sit downs with the school and parents don't realize the depth of the problems some kids have, from abuse to mental health issues.  (Obviously I have no idea what the deal is with this particular kid.)  There are absolutely situations in schools where the teacher trying to manage too many kids with too many troubles, and they just can't stop an out of control kid.  Calling outside help is the best thing to do for everyone's safety.
    That said, I agree with the poster above that the hospital is the correct place.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, ERs have psychiatrists on staff.  I do understand getting outside help and the handcuffs if the child was, in fact, throwing potentially injurious items in an extreme tantrum.  But, once the child was subdued and in handcuffs, which don't hurt, by the way, unless you struggle and pull against them, why didn't the cops drive to the nearest ER?  What could have been done to help further at the police station with a six year old in custody?  At that point they are babysitters, the presumbaly bad parents eventually arrive, and the cycle continues.  At least at the ER the child could be immediately evaluated for psychosis or even a physical illness.  The kid got a soda at the police station because that's all they were equipped to give.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Penguin762. Show Penguin762's posts

CALL THEIR PARENTS

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from claudiaa. Show claudiaa's posts

It's to bad that this little girls behavior is so violent. It makes you wonder what is really going on with her. And, nobody has mentioned the trauma that the other children in the class probably witness on a day to day basis. Five and six year olds should feel that the school is a safe environment where they can learn without the fear that some other child might have a violent outburst and hurt them. It's amazing that the other children want to even come to school when they face this kind of behavior on a daily basis. This can't be an isolated incident with this little girl. The parents need a wakeup call to address this child's behavior. You can't blame the school or police for this problem. Where was it ever written that it's the responsibility of the school to raise this child. The parents need to grow up and take responsibility for their child. If you don't like the behavior that your child is displaying, you need to change it. Severely handicapped children can be trained to behave. This little girl and her parents need to learn some behavior modification technics before someone is severely injured.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from knockneedcowboy. Show knockneedcowboy's posts

Before someone else is injured.

We don't allow our teachers to "take matters into their own hands" or discipline our children in any way.  These parents would have sued the school and the teacher would have lost her job if she touched this student.  What is left, other than a call to the police and have the child physically restrained and removed by the authorities.  That is all the parents above have left as an alternative for the school and its teachers.  But you don't like that either.

Handcuffs..necessary.  If the school allows this student to harm or otherwise injure my child, then it would be my choice to protect my child by bringing suit against the family of that student and the school for not protecting my child. 

So the school and teacher are forced with two choices protect the masses by having this child restrained and removed (which they can't do without the police) or protect this one child by leaving her in the classroom until she hurts another child and make the situation worse.

That child, and any and all like her should get the same treatment...hauled off!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patches2. Show patches2's posts

This child needed to be restrained for her own safety, as well as the safety of all the innocent children around her. She survived being handcuffed, and the complaint about the handcuffs hurting could be solved by not fighting them. As a former teacher, I dealt with this kind of situation once. The  child began throwing everything he could get his hands on. I used myself as a shield so that the other children didn't get hurt, as I waited for help. Children like this need to be in special schools, not among the regular population. I have no sympathy for the parents, who should make sure this child is getting the mental health assistance she needs.
    Anyone who says to simply put the child into a quiet room, etc, has not been in this situation. Children acting out to this extent need to be removed! I do agree that a hospital sounds like the best idea. This child either has mental health issues, or is in serious need of good parenting.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from budso1. Show budso1's posts

The parents can't contol the child at home, so they want someone else to do it . What would have happened if this child injured someone elses child in the classroom, do you smell many law suites ? Of course they're all scard for life due to this incident . They did the correct thing . Maybe this will leave a lasting impression on the child , the children , and all who think there is no consequenses for they're actions .

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyriacus. Show Cyriacus's posts

This is the other side of the coin of banning corporal punishment in schools.  If you are a teacher or principal now, are you confident that you can use physical force to restrain a or move a child (the way parents might deal with their own child throwing a violent tantrum) without being accused of a crime?  The way our society has set things up, any use of force whatsoever had better be delegated to the "professionals"--the police.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ron7236. Show Ron7236's posts

Many people here are saying that the child should have been separated and the parents called.

From other news articles, it appears that the parents were unreachable for quite some time, the child was brought down to the station to await a parent/guardian to pick up the child.

Later, an aunt came to pick up the kid.

I have no problem with this one.  The school staff could have been faced with a lawsuit had they put their hands on the child, and perhaps their trying to control/restrain her may have made the situation worse.

So, the school called people who are used to handling situations like this--the police.  Again, I don't see the problem.  The child was being a danger to herself and others, so she was cuffed for her own (and others protection).  She wasn't arrested, she wasn't put in a cell, but brought to the station until an adult came to pick her up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1911. Show M1911's posts

Are you freakin' kidding me?  What is wrong with you people?  You really think that an adult can't control a 6-year-old without handcuffs?  Just grab the kids arms for goodness sakes, lead him to the principal's office, and spank his or her backside.

Oh, wait, you can't spank a kid anymore.  It's better to call the police and arrest a 6-year-old :-/

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cls78. Show cls78's posts

The school must have seen other behavior that would cause them to question this placement for the child.  Did they have a behavior plan in place?  Who at the school was qualified to use physical restraint?  Some kids have developmental delays that mean even though they are older they tantrum like 2 year olds.  What is easy to deal with in a 2 year old can be next to impossible to deal with in an adult or older child.  A two year old punching and kicking does minimal harm, a six year old can do significant damage.  The people working with the child need to have an understanding of the child so that they can defuse the situation, and there needs to be enough staff and space so that the rest of the class can be removed from the tantrum so that they can be safe.  You can't reason with a tantrumming human, and often any effort at punishment just makes the tantrum worse.  I have often seen untrained adults get pulled into the tantrum vortex.  The adults must never get into a contest of wills with the tantrum thrower.   A tantrumming child has no limits on what they will do but adults have the ability to see consequences, have judgement, and are in fact in control.   Really understanding this is the key to defusing a tantrum.  The child doesn't want to run things, they want to know they are safe. They are in a storm that they can't control, if the grownups seems out of control it feeds the storm. 

If you call the police it needs to be part of a plan, not something done because you can't cope.  I have called police after explaining to an older child that this would be the consequence for striking, kicking, biting, etc..  In this case calling the police was necessary, arrest is what the child could expect in the real world.  In this case we were trying to get the child to see the difference between a tantrum with assault, and just a tantrum.  I have a hard time seeing how this could work with a 6 year old though.  They really aren't that far away from 2, and though most have learned decent patterns of behavior, they are very limitted cognitively.  It sounds as though the school staff was not prepared for this child, and they panicked.  I am not really sure what not being able to reach the parents has to do with it.  The school needs to be able to cope.  Parents of challenging children are often very challenging themselves, and they always are overwhelmed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from atigias. Show atigias's posts

I feel bad for the teachers. They deal with this day after day. And get slammed for any action they take. I am sure calling the cops was not their first option. If the child is a danger to herself and to others, what are they to do? And they couldn't reach the parents either, apparently. This is going to be the tragedy of our schools: out of control kids and no recourse for the completely disempowered teachers. No wonder folks don't want to go into the teaching profession anymore! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I feel sorry for the teachers and police officers who had to deal with this.

if you read the reports and glean actual facts instead of just reading fluff reports about a 6 yo in handcuffs, the child was sent to the principal's office for misbehaving [she pushed two other kids and knocked items off the teacher's desk]. Once in teh principal's office she engaged in the mother of all meltdowns, throwing things [including a shelf that injured the principal], began destroying furniture and biting doorknobs.  The school called the police after they made SIX calls to the parents and were unable to reach them.  The girl then attacked the officer, who had no choice but to handcuff her to ensure she was not a danger to herslf and others.  The police had an age neutal policy of requiring all individuals transported in cruisers to be in handcuffs, so the girl was handcuffed while riding in the car.  The officers then put the girl in the squad room, not a holding cell, until her parents could come and get her. They gave her a soda in the hopes of calming her down.  What else were they supposed to do?  YOu can only do so much w/ a minor w/o parental consent.

NO WHERE in any report do the parents mention that the child has any kind of disability. I would think that would be the first thing out of their mouths.  All they are griping about is the handcuffs.  Why?  Probably b/c they smell lawsuit, or easy settlement money.  Yes, the child needs a psych eval and child protective services needs to be involved to see what is going on in that house b/c the parents sure have dropped the ball.  I have zero sympathy for the parents in this situation and very little for the girl. This is unacceptable behavior. I can't believe she is only suspended for the rest of the year. At a minimum, she should be barred from the school until she undergoes a complete psych eval, and if she has special needs, a behavioral and education plan should be put in place before she returns.  If she passes the psych eval and is just a colossol brat, she should be expelled from that school.