Lego organization for 5-6 year olds

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beentherebefore. Show beentherebefore's posts

Lego organization for 5-6 year olds

So our lego collection has reached the point where the pieces to different sets are getting all mixed up.  Previously, I kept each set in a separate plastic bag with instructions.  Twenty playdates and one year later they are getting really mixed.  What do people out there do?  A couple bins for creative building, or hold the course and keep re-organizing so that the sets stay together?  Our six year old doesn't seem to care one way or the other....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Re: Lego organization for 5-6 year olds

I say mix them all up! I realize that there are many more specialized legos than when I was a kid, but the whole point of lego creativity is to build a rocket powered firetruck with crenellations along the top if that's what floats your boat. We had a big cloth sack that all the lego pieces went into, and it was fine. It didn't matter to us if all the sets were mixed together. We did keep some of the instructions, so if we really wanted to remake something we could, although we often took liberties with the colors when pieces went missing (or the dog chewed them).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from katenjake. Show katenjake's posts

I got a bunch of those Sterilite containers from Walmart and kept similar sets together.  Combining the sets can lead to even greater creativity and easier cleanup.  It took us too long to figure out which set went where!  Instructions are also long gone, but my 6 year old could not really follow them.  I found I was doing most of the work.  Now he just opens a container and makes whatever he wants.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

We have 2 18 gallon totes full of legos (they were my husbands).  DS and DH enjoy searching through to find the right piece.  We might take some storage bins made for screws and things and sort them by either color or type.  We have just made a playroom in the cellar.  Personally, that would be my preference as I don't have the patience to sort through them.  Then again, I loathe legos.  I guess I have stepped on too many, picked up too many and taken too many out of DD's mouth (at 2 she still likes to eat them especially the heads of the people).  I would be interested in hearing what you decide!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbracer39. Show tbracer39's posts

Sooo not looking forward to Legos!! My son is 5 now and keeps asking for them. I tell him when he is older :-) However, he is smart enough to see the age ranges on the boxes (even on commercials) and is well aware that there are sets out there for 6+. I know once we hit his 6 Birthday, I am SOL. I think I won't be organizing them by set, we'll do the big box and mix them all together. That is how my brothers had them when they were youner.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd say if your child is happy with them mixed up, why sift through them and work against the tide to keep them separated by kit?  While they're are too little to notice the pieces are mixed up, they'll play with all of them in a big pile.  When they get older, they'll enjoy the task (puzzle) of separating them into the original kits and will find or ask for a way to keep them organized. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

OT but...I am currently watching 3 children fight over Duplos. *shudder*

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beentherebefore. Show beentherebefore's posts

Thanks everyone.  We decided to put the Star Wars legos in one bin- with directions available, and all of the other legos in a separate bin. 

I have a very organized friend who keeps her legos in separate boxes - and puts them away when playdates come- so I was feeling guilty about the chaos. 

I think I just got some great reasons to go forward with lego chaos. 

Please post if you agree or have a different opinion!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

There's always going to be a super-organized friend who Sorts Her Legos.  Just like there's the woman who walks out of the hospital in her size-four pre-pregnancy jeans, or the one who is teaching her child Japanese from birth, or the one who bakes her own bread. 

I'd say your solution is perfect.  If the Star Wars legos are special and you have the instructions, sort 'em out, and leave the others together. 
    And may the Lego Force be with you. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

My son has a zillion legos and seems fine with them scrambled...my nephew who is a bit older has his sorted by color in bin of plastic drawers, but not by set.  This is actually something I'm going to try, just to satisfy my own compulsion for order.  We have all the instructions in a plastic bag somewhere if DS is inspired to build a specific thing, but mostly he's happy to invent new stuff when inspired.  He's lately taken to having Indiana Jones and Darth Vader in hover-car intergalactic wars (or something).