Magazine for dads?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Magazine for dads?

My husband is a magazine reader.  This Old House, Fast Company, Esquire, Wired, and 2 different work-related journals, he reads them all monthly.  But no matter how many copies of Parents, Parenting, Baby Talk, and American Baby I leave laying around, he won't read them.  He claims they're all too aimed at moms, but says he'd read a dads magazine, if I got him one.  I googled and found various ones - has anyone ever READ any of them?  Is there one that is particularly good?  Any recommendations?  Thanks. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

Re: Magazine for dads?

I haven't read any but I am guessing that the publishers of magazines have the same marketing idiots that boston.com does by calling this section 'Boston Moms'.

Can you write to a few and ask for a sample copy?  If your DH has a blog or something he can offer to put up a review there or if he doesn't blog he can offer to write a review that the publisher can use.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

As Cookie has gone kaput, I think we're all out of luck now.  I find Parenting, Parents and their spin-offs aimed towards babies to be awful, filled with misinformation and contraditary advice from one moment to the next. 

Are there any good ones out there??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Mothing magazine

Just kidding! Unless your husband wants to look at fifty pages of women breastfeeding in random places.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Hey, there's a market -- maybe we should start one.

The dad magazine, I mean. Not the fifty pages of women breastfeeding in random places.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Maybe that's a new job for Kiwiguy??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

lemonmelon: Do you mean Mothering magazine?  That magazine is the butt of many jokes in our house.  I don't know how the hell I ended up with a subscription to it (it just started coming) but I refer to it as the magazine that is about absolutely nothing except breastfeeding, cloth diapers, and natural childbirth.  An endless rotation of those 3 things.  And what's funny is that breastfeeding didn't work for us, cloth diapers didn't work for us, and natural childbirth wasn't even something I considered.  I can't wait until the stupid thing stops coming to my house.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

No, I meant MOTHing magazine! Lepidoptera Lactativus! Stupid "ER" dropping off the screen for no reason.

I got my best friend a subscription because she has certain earthy leanings, but man, that magazine leans so far it's practically horizontal. She called me up and was all, "Hey, thanks a lot but, um, have you ever looked at this? It's just one letters section with women writing in to say that they breastfeed. Over and over."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

don't make fun of me, Latin people. I know that I stuck some latiny-sounding nonsense letters on the ends of those words and I won't apologize!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I think we just start a magazine for parents.  Every mother/parent/baby magazine I pick up seems to be one giant product-placement, and guidance on how to say no without using the word, "No."  I like no.  

And I think lemonmelon should be the editor.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

My daughter LOVES "no." She just started saying "I love you" a couple of weeks ago, and quickly expanded it to "I love no."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from enjar. Show enjar's posts

No one cares about the dad market.  It's mommy mommy mommy all the time.  I actually suggested they re-launch this website as "Boston Parents", and have something unique, but they went with "BoMoms" instead and created Yet Another Mommy Board -- which have already been done and have huge followings elsewhere.

Being a father, I pick up what I can along the way, but magazine publishers seem to equate anything relating to the home as a woman's domain, and publish accordingly.  Any parenting publication invariably spends half the pages on ads for women's products, another quarter on beauty advice, then re-runs the same content for the actual kid's stuff.  They might have an annual "awards" section where the products that "win" are somehow coincidentally from the advertisers.

A similar thing has happened in the cooking world, too.  We used to get Cooking Light, but that morphed away from a magazine chock full of interesting recipes into a woman's lifestyle magazine with some recipes at the end.

In any event, the magazine/print industry in general has one foot in the grave.  A iPad with a bunch of links to daddy blogs (which pale in comparison with the mommy blogs) would be a better idea to get the kind of content you likely want him to read.

I am a father and would like to see more equal treatment, as I do believe that parenting is a shared responsibility.  So I do what I can, treading into the pink and lavender world of mommying/parenting resources and seeing what I can get from ti.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

It's good to hear from you, enjar! Of course, the downside of having a surfeit of mommy-directed media is that us moms are constantly being told that everything we do is wrong.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from enjar. Show enjar's posts

Hi lemonmelon.  That's another aspect of these magazines that can be fanstastically annoying.  They "sell" a lifestyle that is attainable for something like 0.001% of the adult population.  Somehow mom is supposed to keep house (and garden) like Martha Stewart, cook like Julia Child, work out like Jilian Michaels and look like the celebrity of the moment.  Not to mention dressing the kids in the latest fashions and taking them to Disney once a month.  I recall when we somehow started recieving Cookie and flipping through it and laughing at things like designer kid clothes that were dry-clean only, and "economy" articles about taking a vacation to the Carribean instead of the Rivera.  Puhleeze.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Hear, hear enjar.

So, can you recommend a good dads blog or two, that I might pass along to my husband?  In addition to magazines, his other main reading material are what I call his "geek boards" (chat groups for his line of work).  Maybe I could get him to read a blog.

As for cooking, we're a Cooks Illustrated house all the way.