maternity leave/ Individual disability insurance

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from relaxedbride. Show relaxedbride's posts

maternity leave/ Individual disability insurance

Hi- just wondering if anyone has advice or experience with this. I'm a married mom of a 1 yr old and we're at the very early stages of thinking about #2. At the time I had #1, I was working FT and got a standard 12wk maternity leave. I got paid most of my salary the whole time I was out. I think I used up earned time for the first 8wks, and then switched to short term disability (which I had through work), which was about 70% pay, I think. Anyway, since that time I have changed jobs. I'm working close to full time (avg 30-35 hrs/ wk) but I have more of a contract type arrangement. I chose to do this because it offers me great flexibility with scheduling and childcare, but the trade off is that I don't get benefits (no earned time, no ST disability, etc). I am lucky that I do have the option of becoming a more official employee with my current employer, but I'd rather not give up the flexibility right now. I know this means that I really need to budget and set money aside for maternity leave for #2, but I was also wondering if it might makes sense to purchase my own short term disability policy that would cover maternity leave at a percentage of salary. My very limited research thus far (google search!) indicates that such policies can be purchased individually. Has any one out there had any experience with this? Maybe someone who is self employed? I'd love to hear about the experience and the cost as well as any recommendation of a company to go with. Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Re: maternity leave/ Individual disability insurance

I looked into Aflac, which can provide some extra cash.  But I believe you need to have it one full year before being able to use maternity benefits (I looked into it too late).  They don't want you signing up around month 6 for example expecting to cash in 4 months later.  However, if you are just starting to think about #2... if you did it right now, you'd probably be fine.  You figure 10 months for baby and unless you are very lucky, will probably take 1-4 months trying.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from relaxedbride. Show relaxedbride's posts

Re: maternity leave/ Individual disability insurance

Thanks IPW, that's extra motivation to do this sooner than later. I'll check it out.

Sections
Shortcuts