Dear Boston.com Moms:

Do you put a lot of work into making things run smooth for your significant other, children, family, and friends? Are you always in charge of buying all the birthday presents? Do you have any good stories that you can share about this?

My name is Alyssa Milot. I am a doctoral student in Counseling Psychology at Boston College, and I would like to learn from your everyday experiences as moms. As part of a research study I am conducting, I am interested in talking with moms about their unique responsibilities in managing the details of their relationships with their significant others, families, and friends. To be eligible to participate, you must be at least 18-years-old and be a mother.

The intended benefit of this study is to better understand the complexities of women’s relationships with their significant others, families, and friends. To the best of our knowledge, the things you will be doing in this study have no more risk of harm to you than what you would experience in everyday life when talking about your experiences with family and friends. The study may include risks that are unknown at this time.

If you are interested in participating, you can post a response to the below questions via this discussion thread, or e-mail your responses to me at milot@bc.edu Please also contact me at milot@bc.edu with any questions. You can also contact the Boston College Institutional Review Board with any questions at irb@bc.edu or (617) 552-4778.

If you choose to contact me via e-mail, the confidentiality of your responses will be protected, and your responses stored on my password-protected computer. When I am finished reading your responses, they will be permanently deleted from my computer. By choosing to post your responses on the discussion board or via e-mail to me, you confirm that you understand the above terms of my research.

Thank you for your participation! Please read and answer the questions below in any way you choose.

Sincerely,

Alyssa Milot, M.A.

Doctoral Student

Department of Counseling, Developmental, and Educational Psychology

Boston College

1. Some people would say that females are encouraged and even pressured to pay attention and put effort into their relationships with peers, family members, and significant others more so than males. Have you ever noticed this encouragement or pressure before with people you know or yourself? Can you share a personal story that describes this?

2. What are some ways that you or other women you know may feel tired, emotionally or physically, due to the relationships you have with the people who are important to you? Can you share a personal story about this?

3. What are some ways that you or women you know feel frustrated or irritable due to these relationships? Can you share a personal story about this?

4. What are some ways that you or women you know feel invigorated or energized from these relationships? Can you share a personal story about this?