Mom's getaway location

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Mom's getaway location

We are planning a getaway for a weekend in July.  Anyone have any suggestions of places to go that are in New England?  We are looking for shopping, art, nature etc.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

Re: Mom's getaway location

Newport!  My girlfriends and I did a weekend away there for a bahelorette and it was a blast.  We rented a little house through http://www.vrbo.com/. We cooked out, hung out on the roof deck, did a few vineyard tours and wine tastings (!!!) and just had an awesome time. 

I'm dying to go back but most of us have little babies now so it may be a few years.  HTH!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The York Beach, ME area is busy but nice in July.  It's an 1.5 hours from Boston.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I'm a Cape girl so of course I would have to suggest coming down here!  I've had several friends rent houses through the following website

http://www.craigvillebeach.com/

If you're looking for nature somewhere in the Chatham, Orleans, Wellfleet, Truro area would be perfect.  I believe the above website has places in and around Hyannis so it wouldn't work for heading further out on the Cape.

HTH.  Enjoy your vacation!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Thanks Ladies!  Anyone have suggestions for mountain type areas?  We are kind of lake vs ocean type people.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Ogunquit is close by and has everything you are looking for, minus the lake. 

I prefer lakes myself. It's a bit more of a hike, but North Conway, NH will have shopping, art and lakes/mountains.  There is also Bridgeton, Maine [check out the Noble House B&B]. It's about 45 minutes from N. Conway and shopping, but there are shops, art places and a lake.  HTH!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

How about Bar Harbor, ME? You're not too far from Acadia National Park.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I guess it's not technically NE, but a great location that's driving distance but seems worlds away is montreal.  Love it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Check out Mill Falls in Meredith, NH   www.millfalls.com
    Its right on Winnipesaukee and has great rooms, shopping, five or six restaurants and a spa all on site. Its also a few mintues' drive from some great hiking areas and Weirs Beach. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Acadia is gorgeous and has everything you are looking for, but it is a very long drive - how far do you want to go?  Maine seems close, but it's a bigger state than people perceive it is 'til they're in the car 5 hours, the time to get to Acadia from Boston.    

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Hadn't really thought about driving distance.  We are in Worcester.  I had forgotten about Meredith.  I will look into that as well as Wolfboro.  We use to vacation up there every year as a kid.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

My DH is from Western Mass, while I haven't spent tons of time out there Williamstown and the surrounding area could work.  They have several museums that are associated with Williams College and Mass MOCA.  Also Mount Greylock is right there for hiking.  I know there is a large lake off of route 2 but I'm not sure the name and the Williams college grounds are beautiful.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

I was going to say Portsmouth, NH but there aren't really any lakes...just lots of good shopping (right downtown, or the outlets in Kittery are very close), food and artsy stuff. 
    I would second North Conway for lakes though.  I have a friend who goes there every year for girls weekend and loves it!