mothers day gift for 1st time granny

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

mothers day gift for 1st time granny

DS is the first grandchild for my Mom and MIL.  I want to get them something special because of that and also because they have been SO helpful during this first month (can't believe it's a month already!!)

Any ideas on gifts you have received or given?
    Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Re: mothers day gift for 1st time granny

We gave my mom a shrub when DD was born and plan on giving another from DS this year.  She really loves gardening and thought it was fun to always know how old it is etc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

What about Pandora bracelets and the birthstone of your DS birth month.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I like the shrub idea. My DH planted me a tiny Magnolia tree on my first Mother's Day - DS was 3 weeks old. It is now a huge tree. We have since moved, but every year we drive by and take a photo of it.
    But if Mom and your MIL do not have yards or are gardeners, how about a nice framed photo of their grandchild with DS's birth date engraved?
    - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Being a grandmother many times over, I vote for a beautifully framed pic of the baby.  That's what I got for  Mother's Day as each grandchild came along, and I loved it.  If that's not possible just now, gift stores have very nice placques with "grandmother" sayings.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I'm doing snapfish books of DD's first 6 months for both grandmothers and the great-grandmother.  She's a "first" for all of them, and they are always asking me for pictures, so it seemed like a good idea.  I am doing a similar book, only for the first year, for myself.  I LOVE the snapfish books! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Luv - Just going to suggest that!  We use shuttefly but same idea!  I am making them for both Grandmothers to!  I made one for DD of her first few days, first summer, etc...about twice a year shuttefly sends me coupons for a free book so I take advanage of that offer!  They are great gifts

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We did a "Brag Book" for my mom -- a grandmother-oriented baby book -- and also photo albums with hundreds of photos of the baby. She LOVED it was was constantly showing it to people.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I'm debating whether to make photo books on Snapfish because I'll only have 3+ months worth of photos!  Maybe I'll do a nice framed photo instead and save the photo book for Christmas.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

A typical grandmother will enjoy each and every photo you send, regardless of how little variation there is between them. My mom would bore her health aides to tears by showing them photo after photo of my daughter asleep.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Fram, I did one at Christmas for my husband, and at that point DD was only about 6 weeks old.  Depending on how you do they layout, you can get a nice book without too many pics.  Also, the "brag books" they make, which are basically spiral bound 4x6 pics, are another idea. 

I like them, since it's nicer and less clutter-producing than getting a lot of prints. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

thanks for all the great ideas! 

I had thought of doing a photo book, but DS is one month old today and both of the grandmothers bought themselves brag books already and have been getting photos from us every time they come over (every week) so i don't know that I would have anything new to give them.

I did find a bracelet on etsy that is cute  and I can have the initials and birth date engraved...i would love this (someone gave me something similar, but a necklace) i just never know with grannies!  :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I love those circle necklaces! I bought one for myself from this store:
    http://www.etsy.com/people/jamjewelrydesigns?ref=ls_profile

My mom also liked the tacky stuff you can get from kodak etc. -- mugs, magnets, ornaments, etc. Basically if you put the baby's face on something the granny will be happy and cherish it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

The best thing about putting together a brag book is you have control over the pictures.  I found out 2 weeks after my daughter was born that my mother had been taking her album she had made on her daily 6 mile walks around my hometown and showing everyone all the pictures--ALL the pictures--my dad had taken when they visited me in the hospital.  I know everyone was looking at the baby in those pictures, but she didn't have to include so many of me that were taken 5 hours after I'd given birth (after 35hour labor! natural childbirth! All my amniotic fluid somehow went to my face for a week after labor! I'm not that photogenic to begin with, lots of weird slack-jawed mid-sentence faces!There might have even been a n1pple in one of them!).

If you give them a nice book you'll have more control over which pictures are being shown everywhere.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I have to say that Mypublisher.com is way better than snapfish in my opinion!  

Or you could get an Iseeme book.  

I love the tree/shrub idea!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

In Response to Re: mothers day gift for 1st time granny:
    I love those circle necklaces! I bought one for myself from this store: http://www.etsy.com/people/jamjewelrydesigns?ref=ls_profile Posted by lemonmelon

i was thinking about getting one, but my good friend read my mind and got it for me when baby was born.  LOVE etsy too :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: mothers day gift for 1st time granny:
    I love those circle necklaces! I bought one for myself from this store: http://www.etsy.com/people/jamjewelrydesigns?ref=ls_profile
    Posted by lemonmelon

I have one of those as well, from Etsy!  Actually, I have two (one was a gift from SIL, one I picked for myself) and wear them every day.

And Lostgrouse - I love mypublisher as well.

Sections
Shortcuts