'Mouth-breathing' is harmful to your child's health

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: 'Mouth-breathing' is harmful to your child's health

I'm a mouth breather at night... I never knew I was ugly!  My face is kind of long...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Finally, an explanation for Ann Coulter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ButeykoBoston. Show ButeykoBoston's posts

Teaching children to breathe from their noses may save parents a lot of money on orthodontic treatment later in life. Easier said than done...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

You could just staple their mouths shut.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I've also heard that night vapours can lead to tremours, brain fevers, and General Disruption of the Humours.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

There is a regular on the NY Times blogs who claims that every single thing out there that can go wrong with kids is due to mouth breathing--among other things he claims that it's the cause of the autism spike, right around when babies were put to sleep on their backs for SIDS prevention, which makes them breathe wrong.  I'm not saying don't take a real medical article seriously, but obviously there are some people making a huge crusade out of some preliminary research (as happens with every medical tidbit) and a lot of them have something to sell.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: 'Mouth-breathing' is harmful to your child's health:
    [QUOTE]a lot of them have something to sell.
    Posted by purplecow89[/QUOTE]
    Like superglue toothpaste?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, lemon!!  That was awesome.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

This has got to be the dumbest thread ever.  Way up there with the santa is evil incarnate thread.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I agree w/ Sarah. If mouth breathing is caused by an obstructed airway, what is the alternative?  Not breathing?  I would think that a baby breathing through his/her mouth is preferable to  not breathing at all. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

And, once you're asleep you have NO CONTROL over it whatsoever.  Are you supposed to use lemon's fabulous superglue toothpaste?  Does that whiten, too, by the way?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Gaaah!  What is that?!?!?!? 

Yeah, as I'm currently having difficulties talking my DD into Regular Sleep Patterns, I'm at a loss as to how to convey Proper Breathing Techniques. 

And something tells me that if I click on the helpful link provided, my virus scanner better be reeeeeally up to date.  Or my passwords will be floating around in the internets.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

LOL  This has got to be one of the most ridiculous posts ever.  I'm a mouth breather (mainly due to a deviated septum).  I have none of the maladies described, have nearly perfect teeth at 40 years old (some discoloration of enamel and 2 fillings as a teenager).  Never had orthodontia.  I'm going to put this done as something NOT to worry about.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Aah, now I understand the route of my long face/autism/ADD/inability to pass high school science... alas, my mother never taught me how to breathe correctly while sleeping.

I'm not going to click on the link, but I am curious what the "experts" say about how to train your child to breathe a certain way WHILE ASLEEP.  I suppose I could do what my DH and I have talked about doing since day 1 - gluing the pacifier to her mouth so she doesn't wake up when it falls out.  Now sounds like it would kill 2 birds with 1 stone!

ETA: Lemon - I know I've seen that image before but can't place it... what is it from?!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

ha ha, it's from the twilight zone movie. The one about the benevolent little boy who wants to save his beloved sister from a lifetime of long-faced, snaggle-toothed, autistic rage.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

that's right!  That movie terrified me when I was a kid. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Me too! That picture looks pretty goofy now, though. Plus she has a long face, despite her nostril-exclusive breathing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

True.  And she doesn't look very well-adjusted.