MUSIC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

MUSIC

what's some of your favorite music for baby - traditional or not.

I am loving the lullaby renditions of Coldplay right now for my newborn.  I also like to play XX and some of the more soothing Bjork music for him. 
    We sing a lot of the traditional stuff during the day, so I wanted to mix it up a bit.  What does your baby like?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

Re: MUSIC

we have the jack johnson curious george CD, madonna's immaculate collection (especially effective for the 5pm timeframe) and we also have a guess how much i love you cd set that has good lullaby stuff.  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

our daughter liked Weezer when she was a baby -- something about that climbing guitar sound. We played Pixies lullabyes for her, but I don't think she cared. She learned all the NPR theme and interstitial music pretty early on. Once she started showing real preferences for stuff she liked Yo Gabba Gabba music and the standard kid stuff -- little pufferbellies and itsy bitsy spider and all that. She also likes things with animal noises (Werewolves of London), animal themes (Three Little Birds), or things about mommies loving babies (Loves Me Like a Rock). Her absolute favorite is the Really Rosie soundtrack. Of course we don't play her all of it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

My son has developed an affinity for Lenny Kravitz.  Now DD likes him too.  Not really kids music but they like guitar.  Minister of Rock and Roll is their most favorite.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I love rockerdad.  

Just kidding.  My son seems to enjoy me playing his jumparoo theme songs on a recorder.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

DD goes to sleep to the Rockaby Baby stuff -- U2, Coldplay, Bob Marley.  She prefers cheesy Top 40 in the car.  [Flo Rida's "Da Club Can't Handle Me" is a special favorite.] 

She also likes the music that plays on her exer-causer thing (I call it Baby Vegas).  The lyrics to all three tunes are "Mama Loves You," but they must be sung with enthusiasm and preferably accompanied by dancing. 

Yes, I'm her b*tch. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I downloaded all kinds of stuff right before the baby was born, but haven't put it on much.  Mostly I just sing to her.  Yesterday I had the Navy song stuck in my head and she really seemed to like it.  Weird.

"Stand Navy out to sea
    Fight our battle cry..."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

My 2 year old son gets really mad when I sing him any baby-type songs like Old MacDonald or itsy bitsy spider.  He does like it when I sing James Taylor and some classics like Rainbow Connection and The River Lullaby from Disney.  Other than that he seems to like Lady Gaga, go figure!  He claps and bops to it like a maniac.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from header2. Show header2's posts

My son loved the Wiggles lullaby when he was a baby, but his absolute favorite was a CD I bought before he was born that had the woman singing songs with his name in them.  He would go to sleep to that CD. To this day(he is 5), he still loves that CD and will listen to it at night.  In the car his current favorite is Taio Cruz-Dynamite and Sean Kingston.  I don't remember the name but he goes around the house singing "call 911, Shorty fire burning on the dance floor"  Its hillarious hearing a 5 year old singing that. :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

My daughter has always been a fan of a strong baseline/driving drumbeat.  She's fairly indiscriminate in genre, as long as it has a beat she can bop to.  This means she'd probablybe equally content with Lady Gaga as she is with Led Zeppelin.  If we're ever in the car next to someone pumping their bass she gets very excited.  We play music every evening when we get home and we're preparing dinner.  The dancing keeps her occupied in that tenuous time between too-late-to-have-a-snack and dinner-is-ready.  My husband puts his ipod on shuffle and we jam together.  We all really look forward to it, actually.  It's nice after a long day.  On weekend mornings we play records, laid-back things like Grateful Dead and First Aid Kit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

This thread is cracking me up.  I can't wait until DD really starts to notice and respond to music.  Right now she seems to think anything I sing is wondrous and magical (stares at me then beams) but she's not really responding yet to the music that comes out of the speakers.  My husband will be thrilled that some of your babies are loving Weezer and The Pixies.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Weezer has a song on the Yo Gabba Gabba soundtrack -- best thing they've released since Pinkerton.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We've been getting into Cat Stevens lately too -- "Here Comes My Baby," "If You Want to Sing Out," "Wild World." She LOVES "Saturday Night" by the Bay City Rollers. "Be My Little Baby" by the Ronettes. "My Baby Loves Love" (that old disco song -- it's on the Priscilla sountrack). Are you sensing a theme?

Let me think... what else... OH, I found an old 45 from my childhood of "Sleepytime for Dolly" and she was totally enthralled. I had to buy it on Itunes to satisfy  her constant craving for it. Personally I find it terrifying.

One of our biggest challenges has been lullabies. My husband and I don't know a lot of appropriate songs. There's a few Tom Waits ones -- "Innocent When You Dream," "Mocking Bird," "Blow Wind Blow," "Yesterday Is Here." Neutral Milk Hotel's "Aeroplane ..." I've busted out "Walking After Midnight" and "Toora Loora" in emergencies. Christmas was great because she and I are both super into it and were very happy to sing Christmas songs every night.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I had to come post this because it was weird and perfect for this thread:
    So DD is very verbal and loves music and remembers lyrics like nobody's business--she's been known to prompt me for some of the later verses in some songs.  Well, as you might know it was recently the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War and GBH and my husband agreed the best way to commemorate was to show the 10 hour Ken Burns special AGAIN for a week straight.  She's asleep at this time, of course.  I had both "Dixie" and "Battle Hymn of the Republic" stuck in my head quickly.  Anyway, I was doing laundry last weekend and I started to absent-mindedly hum "Battle Hymn of the Republic" and she beamed out ear-to-ear and started to lustily belt out "GloOOOOOOry glory Ha-leee-dooooo dahh! . . . His truth goes marching on!" and marching around the dining room table. 
    Apparently my mother (who watches her twice a week) has been teaching her this song. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

The Battle Hymn is awesome! Wait until she hears the "teacher  hit me with a ruler" version.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

We've been youtube-ing Sesamee Street songs.  There's some amazing artists (Patti Labelle does the alphabet, James Taylor sings Jelly Kelly, Will i am of the Black Eyed Peas etc), Good music, fun for everyone, free and educational too!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trhoward. Show trhoward's posts

DS loves Vampire Weekend and the Rolling Stones. He goes to sleep every night to Rockabye Baby Pixies. And on Saturday mornings we frequently rock out to AC/DC. I love to see his dance moves developing! In the car we usually put on the oldies stations and he was a big fan of Christmas music.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: MUSIC:
    [QUOTE]DS loves Vampire Weekend
    Posted by trhoward[/QUOTE]

I'm boycotting them because of their stance on the serial comma.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

lissafro - my Mom used to sing bBattle Hymn of the Republic and When Johnny Comes Marching Home to me and my brother as lullabies! That cracked me up when you mentioned it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We got the even more disturbing original -- Johnny I Hardly Knew Ye.

Sections
Shortcuts