My 13 year old son wants to babysit.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from calitobostonjen. Show calitobostonjen's posts

My 13 year old son wants to babysit.

My son, decided that he would do babysitting for the weeks he doesn't have camp.  While I thought that was a great decision, I can't help but wonder how many parents are ok with 13 year old boys babysit.

We just moved to our neighborhood, he's taken a babysitting course and he's got some good recommendations from his teachers.  So where should we start?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: My 13 year old son wants to babysit.

I think your son should try to find jobs with families he already knows--neighbors, cousins, etc. Honestly, I would not let any unknown 13 year-old child (boy or girl) babysit my child. But, if I already knew the child, then I might be more open to the idea.

The other idea would be to post an ad at the local grocery store, in the neighborhood paper, etc. for a "mother's helper". He might have more luck getting people to take a chance on him if it were a situation where the parent would be around, but simply needs an extra pair of eyes and hands.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I think boys can make excellent babysitters, one of my favorite sitters when I was a kid was Ted, because he let us roughhouse with him in a way none of the girl sitters would.
     But as far as marketing himself, did he take the course in your new neighborhood or the old one? When I was old enough to sit, (years ago now, so some of this might not fly in today's very overprotective age) I took the Red Cross training at my local library, and they kept a list of all the graduates, so a parent looking for a sitter would ask the library, and could get our name that way. Also my mom told all her friends with younger kids, so I got several clients that way. If you have younger kids in the neighborhood, your son could just introduce himself to their parents, as I sat for 3 families who all lived on my block in high school. Once he finds a few families to sit for, if he is any good, his clients should pass his name along to other parents looking for sitters. Word of mouth goes a long way. 
    At 13, something he should be open to is being a mother's helper. My first few jobs when I was that young was as a mother's helper. One was a woman who had to be on modified bed-rest, so she was home, but couldn't play with her toddler as much as he needed, so after school I would go over for a few hours. Another family was moving, so I kept the kids occupied while their mother packed. Both families hired me to sit alone after the mother's helping gigs, but it allowed them to evaluate my abilities, since I was young.
    Hope that gives him some ideas. Good Luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

http://www.amazon.com/Fancy-Nancy-Sensational-Babysitter-Oconnor/dp/0061703788/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1306949387&sr=1-1

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from keane5050. Show keane5050's posts

Is this the same child you don't want to leave at home alone? 

Not trying to be confrontational, but if you don't trust him to stay alone in his own home why would it be alright for him to be responsible for someone elses child?  Do you think he is mature enough for babysitting?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from calitobostonjen. Show calitobostonjen's posts

In Response to Re: My 13 year old son wants to babysit.:
    [QUOTE]I think boys can make excellent babysitters, one of my favorite sitters when I was a kid was Ted, because he let us roughhouse with him in a way none of the girl sitters would.  But as far as marketing himself, did he take the course in your new neighborhood or the old one? When I was old enough to sit, (years ago now, so some of this might not fly in today's very overprotective age) I took the Red Cross training at my local library, and they kept a list of all the graduates, so a parent looking for a sitter would ask the library, and could get our name that way. Also my mom told all her friends with younger kids, so I got several clients that way. If you have younger kids in the neighborhood, your son could just introduce himself to their parents, as I sat for 3 families who all lived on my block in high school. Once he finds a few families to sit for, if he is any good, his clients should pass his name along to other parents looking for sitters. Word of mouth goes a long way.  At 13, something he should be open to is being a mother's helper. My first few jobs when I was that young was as a mother's helper. One was a woman who had to be on modified bed-rest, so she was home, but couldn't play with her toddler as much as he needed, so after school I would go over for a few hours. Another family was moving, so I kept the kids occupied while their mother packed. Both families hired me to sit alone after the mother's helping gigs, but it allowed them to evaluate my abilities, since I was young. Hope that gives him some ideas. Good Luck!
    Posted by amy-lynn[/QUOTE]

Great ideas!!!!!  I'll try the mother's helper.  He took a course with Harvard Vanguard in Braintree, so I'm not sure if the teacher posted new graduates.  But thanks!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from calitobostonjen. Show calitobostonjen's posts

[QUOTE]Is this the same child you don't want to leave at home alone?  Not trying to be confrontational, but if you don't trust him to stay alone in his own home why would it be alright for him to be responsible for someone elses child?  Do you think he is mature enough for babysitting?
    Posted by keane5050[/QUOTE]

I never said anything about not being able to trust him...I just didn't want him to be bored.  "An idle mind is the devil's workshop".
    I think he's mature enough to babysit a toddler and as other's suggested, I think it would be good to be a mother's helper to start off.  He's shown interest and has taken courses on babysitting. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lifeistooshort. Show lifeistooshort's posts

I think that is a great idea. He should see what neighbors he can babysit for and go from there. I also commend him for not just wanting to sit all summer, but actually work. GOOD FOR HIM!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from keane5050. Show keane5050's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My 13 year old son wants to babysit. : I never said anything about not being able to trust him...I just didn't want him to be bored.  "An idle mind is the devil's workshop". I think he's mature enough to babysit a toddler and as other's suggested, I think it would be good to be a mother's helper to start off.  He's shown interest and has taken courses on babysitting. 
    Posted by JJHayle[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry.  When you asked if anyone would leave a child his age home alone for 2 weeks I thought you were implying he was too young to stay alone.  If it's just a matter of him being bored, babysitting would be a great idea.  

If he isn't able to find anything I also endorse "The List".  My mother did it to me and I do it to my daughter.  There is always plenty to do around the house if anyone is bored!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I was 12 when I started babysitting, but my mom only allowed me to babysit in the apartment complex where we lived.  I took a Red Cross babysitting class first...I still have the pin with the teddybear with the red cross on his belly in the center. 

I also love the mother's helper idea - it could certainly develop into a solo job as the mom's he works with see how helpful and responsible he is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

You have to be concerned about the possibilty of false allegations,  people are more suspect of boys, that's just the way it is.  Maybe a job in a group setting situation would have less liability.