My kindergartener won't get on the bus.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sarahhc47. Show Sarahhc47's posts

My kindergartener won't get on the bus.

My son started kindergarten this week and its been a real struggle.  He went to the same daycare/preschool for the past almost 6 years so he's used to being away from us which is why this is so surprising for us.  The first day he cried on the bus.  Yesterday he got off the bus in tears and ran away.  My husband drove him to school and he was ok there.  Today my husband drove him to the busstop and he wouldn't get out of the truck, got very upset.  My husband drove him to school where it took 2 teachers to peel him off my husband and drag him kicking and screaming into school.  His teacher reports that he's fine at school - "all smiles".     We've talked to him about this and his fears about riding the bus, we've offered bribes...we're not getting anywhere.  Has anyone been through this?  Any suggestions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountain19. Show mountain19's posts

Re: My kindergartener won't get on the bus.

he is too young to articulate and will remain that way till 30.  however something on the bus like kids making fun of him for crying? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I am the littlest child on this big strange vehicle, and no one (mom, dad, or teacher) to protect me or reassure me.   No one has ever let me ride in a vehicle without my child seat, and I don't even have a seat belt.  I've never been anywhere in my whole little life without a grown-up I know and love by my side.

The bus is noisy, the big kids are yelling, and I don't understand why my mom or dad are making me do this.  I'm scared.  Someone just threw a lunch box and now that kid is crying, but he's way bigger than me! 

Help, somebody save me!

Signed,

Your son

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

A very important point, Cos.

Instead of trying to make the upset go away or the child stop crying " like a big kid"  it is important to let it happen.  This combination of separation anxiety, leaving the protection of parents,  and the learning that frightening as it is, your son  will in weeks conquer this fear,  is a big thing.
        So be comforting but do not hush the child.  Give confidnce- it is new, it is scary -  and you know that in a few days or a week,  when it is not so new -  child will leave with a smile.  By then, child will know, every day enjoyed at school has been worth doing this, once past that few minutes.

Like getting on that scary bike, or trying hard to do any challenging thing, the learning is in going through it - and a week later, seeing,  WOW, I did that.
        So no shaming, no hushing, let your son  go through it and come out strong.  In a week or 2, make a point of saying, more than once -  I know that starting out on the bus, off to school, was scary.  I also know, you are strong.  You did it!

Sections
Shortcuts