New job / asking about maternity leave?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trublusu. Show trublusu's posts

cosmogirl - I have an interesting story regarding this. Several years back, I worked for man whose wife was pregnant. He refused to hire a very qualified man because this man's wife was pregnant also and my boss didn't want him taking any time off. I remember thinking how hypocritical this was.My bosses' baby died at birth and he ended up having to take several months off to grieve and he was�eventually replaced�- talk about karma.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

I have to say my benefits were better at the 8 person, female run, non profit company that I worked for when I had my son than they are at the 50 person company I work for now.� The 8 person company did have a handbook.� I guess you might have to ask about the benefit during negoiations.� Here's a link to FMLA: http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla/Here is a link to MMLA: http://www.mass.gov/mcad/maternity1.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Is it a large company?� There are specifc laws on the State and Federal level that the company has to follow if they are over 50 (I think) employees.� A lot of smaller companies follow them also.� I worked for a 8 person company that followed FMLA.�� They didn't have to but they did.��In terms of compensation while on leave that varies drastically.� I am not sure the best way to find that out.�

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

When I interviewed the Exec. Director didn't know what the vacation time was.� She had to ask someone else.� That was interesting.� At that point I didn't think about the maternity benefits.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from echeri. Show echeri's posts

I actually have a follow-up to this question.� Does anyone have advice/thoughts on plans to start TTC around the time you are looking for a new job?� We are discussing it for perhaps later this year, but it may coincide with looking for a new job and move across the country.� If I were to look for a new job, it would be in the same industry, which is traditionally very family and female-friendly.� Just wondering if anyone has advice here, as I haven't personally seen anyone be hired right away then go out on maternity leave in less than a year on the job.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

kerry, since it's a small company that probably doesn't have an "employee handbook" that you could review, I think it's totally legitimate to ask about their time off policies.� For example, what if you broke your leg and couldn't drive for three months?� What you (and everyone) needs to know is what percentage of your salary is paid and for how long.�The good news is, such a small company may have Short- and Long-Term� Disability Insurance for their employees.� The bad news is, in such a small company, they don't have the extra staff to pick up the slack for someone on an extended leave so you may be pressured to return to work a.s.a.p.At some point, a majority of people will need to take time off from work due to a broken leg, an appendectomy, maternity, or whatever.� It's important to understand going in what to expect in terms of salary continuation.Good luck!��

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

echeri - re: your question about changing jobs and getting pregnant - turns out that has happened to me.� We thought it would take longer to get pregnant, turns out it took one shot!� I started my job 6 weeks ago and have been given a november due date.� It's still early so fingers crossed, but hubby and I decided that we had to set priorities.� My other job was a complete nightmare and I had to get out.� We decided that right now, family had to come first and with that, there are still so many unknowns.� It helped to put things in perspective for me.� I'll probably tell everyone in about 10 weeks - we'll see how it goes.Of note to this thread, I did ask about maternity when interviewing - it helped that the HR director was a woman and she said that she was glad I asked because most women don't and should (her perspective).� Unfortunately time off is unpaid (another reason why it helps to know that you chose to put family first!).� My real reason for asking was because the ml policy at my last place was similar, and most of the women I�worked�with never checked it out - used all their vacation time and sick time, whereas I was banking my sicktime.� I left with 30 days, but that would have been 6 weeks paid if I stayed.� They didn't ask until after they got married and learned that since they already took their time they wouldn't get paid.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Cosmo, I read you. We have an Employee Manual, every new employee get in their hands the first day of work. We also make it available and give enough time for a possible employee to look through it during the interview. If they want copies of certain pages - we happily give them those. No one goes blindly into employment with us, without knowing what to expect.
    If someone is in a car accident - as you suggested, their car insurance is there to cover loss of work. (If they don' t have car insurance, they are morons.) If it is a work related accident, we have Workmans Comp. that will cover loss of work. As far as maternity leave, we have it all written out in our manual. No sick time is paid for during the first three months of employment, no vacation for the first six months. It is accrued, but not available. Anyone in our office can take time off (or leave of absence) for whatever reason without pay. Their job will still be waiting for them.
    That said, any time off is always given at the descretion of the administration. Our long time employees can expect a lot more liniency than newly hired. Their loyal service deserves that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

hi, pingo:� what would you do if employee was in a car accident and his injuries kept him out of work for�8 weeks?� How much would he be paid?� Would it matter if the accident occurred in the first year of hire?The law doesn't tell you how you have to treat the absence -- fully paid, partially paid, unpaid, but it does say that you have to apply the law equally for all medical reasons.� That includes childbirth.One thing that you can never do is write a policy to cover an event after it has occurred.� That�would 95% guarantee that an employee would win a discrimination suit.� This is a generalization, for sure, but something to be aware of.Believe me, I sympathize.� If a new employee told me she was pregnant shortly after we hired her, I would privately be furious although there is nothing I could do about it but smile sweetly and say congratulations.� �

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

I agree with ALF, don't ask until and unless you've already been offered the job.� At that point, you can ask them to review their handbook if they have one, or you can ask to speak to the HR rep more specifically about the benefits.� If it's a bigger company, they will follow FMLA, but that doesn't mean you would get paid for your leave.� A lot of companies have Short Term Disability, which helps cover at least a portion of the leave, so you could ask about whether the company offers that and how it works.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from julper. Show julper's posts

I agree! My DH is Canadian. We went to a party in his home town for his friend's 30th birthday and there were lots of pregnant women or women with kids there. They all get a year off paid maternity leave! They definitely felt bad for me when I told them I could only take off 10 weeks. DH would like to move back to Canada but I just can't imagine leaving behind all my family and friends!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

It sure is a culture shock.� I'm a contractor, so I've worked at a lot of companies and the way they treat people ranges from "nursery school rules" to "as long as you get the work done, make up your own rules".I just encourage you to try to get as much information about the company's attitude and culture as you can.� After being used to the independence of your current job, you would be very, very unhappy to wind up in a place that you have to account for yourself every second of every day.I once worked at a company (as a "real" employee, not a contractor) where they were happy to have you work as much OT as you could (unpaid of course, it was a salaried position).� However, if you needed to take an extra hour off for a dentist appointment, they made you "make it up" within 48 hours.� Totally ridiculous and insulting.Good luck!!!�

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I hear ya....and it's a tough thing to sniff out during the interview process, too!� Good luck!�

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi yhkerry, I understand you are upset over you new company's maternitypolicy. We all live in a society and have to conform to whatever oursociety dictates. As creatures of habits, we do not like changes.
    Think of it this way. You live in NH and has never paid sales taxes.Now you move to MA and everything you put your hand on has a 5% salestax. As much as you hate it - there is just no way you can avoid it.
    You live in town A. They pick up your trash every week. Now you move totown B, and you have to haul the trash to the dump yourself.Irritating? Yes, but one has to conform to the rules of the society inwich one lives.
    Your new company is just a small society. Whatever "rules" they have applies to everyone.
    Try to think of why you changed your job. Higher salary, a betterposition, better work hours? Try to think of the positives - not thenegatives. Maybe some of the positives will make up for the negatives.
    One more thing. You said you were at your old job for 10 years. Did youhave the same freedom in the first year of yours as you had in thetenth? Maybe, if you stick with your new company for ten years, youwill find the same freedom. --- Just saying and the best of luck.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello Kerry,� as an employer, I would definitely not hire someone,who would go on maternity leave shortly after starting employment. Whywould I? I am looking for an employee to be working in my office - notsomeone on maternity leave. I have put� into place a generousmaternity leave policy in my office, but that is for employees, whohave served me well. Not for someone, who just start employment.
    If someone ask for a maternity policy, I would put in a clause, that ifa pregnancy occurred w/i a certain amount of months., the employeecontract would be nul and voided. Meaning - no benefits awardedof� any sorts.
    Pregnancies happens and any employer know that. Could you possibly askfor a copy of their Employee Manual? Like you want to have a look at itbefore you take the job? It is not an unusual thing to ask for.
    I would love to hire you. You seem to be a responsible person - not many are like you. Best of luck in your decision. - P

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

It depends on the maternity policy...my company's kicks in after a year of service.� (Although I was only there for about a year when I went out on maternity.)�

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from happybythesea. Show happybythesea's posts

yhkerry,Your best bet would be to ask about Short Term and Long Term Disability package that your new company has.� Maternity leave falls under Short Term Disability at almost all companies so this way you can ask about it with out using the term 'maternity'.���STD and LTD packages are�good anyways to learn about if you are looking into starting a new job. So your new place is family/female friendly?!!� What industry is it because mine sure isn't!� The BS I had to deal with was unbelieveable.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Congratulations!� Good work!� HOpe the new job is awesome for you....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from echeri. Show echeri's posts

thanks for the feedback, hotcinnababy and all pp.� as i had said in my original post, i do work in a female and family friendly industry, so i also feel asking about maternity leave policy is not a taboo at all during an interview.� however, i just wanted to know how employers react if they hear a pregnancy announcement a few months into being hired.� should dh and i end up doing a cross country move, i figure by the time everything plays out, i would have been on the job for about a year by the time maternity leave rolled around, but just wanted to hear peoples' experiences.