newborn question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

newborn question

ALF, I had heard about the falling asleep with the bottle in their mouth back when I was working at a daycare center in the 90's. I'm sure there have been lots of kids that had this issue unfortunately. I think my friend's theory was more about juice being empty calories. I can see her point, but I'm not sure how I'd handle it myself.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sher. Show sher's posts

newborn question

do you feed your kids the frest fruit? i'm not really seeing your point of no freshly squeezed juice unless you don't give your children anything raw, like a piece of fruit out of the fridge (washed of course). my daughter loves oranges but we haven't given her any pasturized juice (not squeezed for juice either) just the fresh fruit.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

newborn question

Maybe I will be in the minority. But to me juice is healthy. I do agreethough, that falling asleep with a bottle of juice - is definitely NOThealthy. But, we as parents must see to that is not happening.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

newborn question

Hi Daisy, You are so absolutely right. All those sugar laden juicesshould definitely be avoided. When I said - juice, I was consideringfreshly squeezed. A small baby do not need much and it is not thatdifficult to squeeze and orange. I used to mix it half and half withwater.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sher. Show sher's posts

newborn question

yeah, we're not and won;t be super restrictive. DD has had cake and cookies (not much before she was 1 though) we just haven't started the juice yet. i'm sure she'll love it when she a little older but right now she loves her water and milk. she's also pretty much done with bottles (except at nap time) so we're not worried about rottign her teeth. Growing up my hubby's family and mine both had sweets in teh house. my dad used to go to the hostess factory and would load up! he loved the stuff us kids loved it when he first got home but after that the novelty wore off. we are not worried about obesity with our little one as we are hopefully teaching her proper eating habits and moderation.i have a friend who gave there daughter everything and anything she wanted and the baby was huge! literally the size and weight of a 3 year old at 12 months. they would give her lollipops "because she wanted it" how the heck does a 1 year old know she wants a lollipop.�i have to say no to my daughter often but it's not usually about food because she is a good little eater. i certainly would not have given her a lollipop before she turned 1! at my friends baby's 12 month checkup the dr put her on a diet. no whole milk and no more junk food! sad, but it was really bad. she weighed over 30 lbs at 1 year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sarahbth. Show sarahbth's posts

newborn question

���� Pingo is correct that provided you go from fresh� washed fruit -� immediately served, or squeezed to juice and served - �pasteurization is not necessary.� The problem is with bacteria that accumulates over time .
    ���� Milk is a different situation, because it comes from a living animal, and also the most careful milking still cannot clean all bacteria from a cow's underparts.� Milk needs the pasteurization.� And bee honey.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

newborn question

rhm, I certainly do not think you are out-of-date. I would not expose anewborn to a lot of germs in the first couple of months of it's life.
    But to� take the baby to a restaurant is in my opinion not bad.You put the little thing in a corner, while you eat - and then go backhome. And I think it is good for the mother to see something else thanthe diaper pail.
    But I would never take my newborn to the malls. One just have to bechoosy, on where one takes the baby. Even with breast feeding, thelittle "critters" have to build up their own immunity, andunfortunalely the only way to do this is by exposing them towhatever.�

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sher. Show sher's posts

newborn question

my daughter was born in Feb (07) and the dr asked us to keep her inside as much as possible and limit her visits to family for a few weeks and to make sure they washed up and/or purelled before holding her in a horrible flu season. I was nursing so she was building a strong immune system and she stayed very healthy. her first sick visit to the dr was the day before her first birthday (poor thing caught a cold). i definitely think the nursing helped her stay healthy even when my hubby got the flu this year (you know that horrendous flu that lasted for 14 days!!!). i think all dr's are different and the time of year definitely matters. one of my friends think my pediatrician is "intense" because he advised "no juice" - why give the baby empty calories and sugar that she doesn;t need and a few other things along with the family visitng early on (we did adapt that to allow close friends in too, but we didn;t really take her anywhere till 5 or 6 weeks).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beckjag. Show beckjag's posts

newborn question

There are plenty of juices out there that are 100% juice, with no sugar added.� Shouldn't really give fresh-squeezed juice to an infant, it isn't pasteurized.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

newborn question

No honey for children ever.� Way too dangerous.�

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

newborn question

As a parent one has� to select, what one thinks is best for ones child. If you want to select the store bought kind, good for you. I happened to select my own freshly squeezed juices. We both will have healthy children.

I believe the salmonella and coli scare has been quite overrated. I used to work as a researcher working with E-coli. It is really not that dangerous as " they " want us to believe. Of course if you live in a rural, 3rd country area� w/o any sanitation of any kind - I would definitely take a step back. But in our country, where sanitation is not a problem for most and a good wash, will get rid of bacteria - I will not hesitate to use freshly squeezed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

newborn question

soinlove, thanks for the info. I know SIL is bf'ing and I'm sure it's past cold and flu season in CA so maybe that has something to do with it. Btw, a friend of mine who has a 13 month old has been staying away from juice, too. I'm not sure if her pediatrician recommended it or if that was something she decided on her own, but I can understand that thinking.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

newborn question

I know it isn't pasteurized. But the juice is being in a shell untilone uses it. So all one has to do is practise cleanliness. I fed mychildren this concotion - and they are both well and alive today. Andto boot even though they did the full circuit of nursery school andkindergarden, they had almost no colds when growing up. An addedbenefit.
    Btw. pasteurizing kills the vitamin C.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

newborn question

I have a general question. My SIL just had a baby 2 weeks ago today (she and BIL live in CA) and I've already heard that they took the baby out with them to a restaurant. I was pretty surprised when I heard that - I always thought parents weren't supposed to take newborns out in public places since their immune systems weren't fully functioning for a while. Am I out of date with this information? TIA for any words of wisdom out there-

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from beckjag. Show beckjag's posts

newborn question

Not all methods of pasteurization kill the vitamins.� So I guess you choose between killing the vitamins or killing e. coli or salmonella.I'll give my kids the pasteurized stuff

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

newborn question

Thanks for the different perspecitves, ladies. I guess I'm just out of date on the newborn thing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

newborn question

Hi,

We have a three week old and have taken her out a few times (to Babies R Us and Isis Maternity) and we've taken her for numerous walks outside. We haven't been to a restaurant yet, but will be going to one with her tonight to celebrate my dad's birthday. We asked our pediatrician as well as the nurse who came to our house for our postpartum in home visit what their opinion on this is since my MIL had told us she didn't think we could take DD out, and we were told that the old school thought to not bring your newborn anywhere is "ridiculous" - at least in the case of a full term, breastfed infant at this time of year (RSV season is apparently at its tail end now and breastfed babies get your antibodies). They just said to take precautions like making sure the baby is dressed appropriately for the weather and not to let anyone touch her unless they've washed or Purelled their hands first. Those are precautions you should take regardless of whether you take the baby out or if you just have people visiting you. The nurse said it can help mom to be able to get out of the house, since it cuts down on the "isolation factor".

Sections
Shortcuts