Off Topic - BDC wedding gift article?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Re: Off Topic - BDC wedding gift article?

I use just about everything that we registered for.  The only thing that I don't use much are some Thanksgiving prep items, those were a waste as I hate making turkey and gravy.

I love having company and though its often much much easier to do paper and plastic for dessert or apps I almost always take out my nice dishes that I have designated for those uses.  Everything can go in the dishwasher so its really not that much more work in the long run.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I use just about everything...but we also decided not to register for china or silver or crystal, but for nice stainless steel and everyday dinnerware that we will use.  I went back and forth, thinking I should go for the china, but now, a year and a half later, I'm glad we registered as we did!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We also use everything we registered for. We didn't register for china since I didn't want to find a place to put it, wash it by hand, etc.  I can set a formal table with our everyday Pfaltzgraf with linens, napkin rings, tapers, centerpiece, etc.  I should have registered for nice table linens, but now that I think of it I couldn't because we didn't have our dining set before we got married so never mind.  The one I bought at Target shrunk and frayed after one washing.  I can only hope that the ones that cost ten times as much last longer than that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Kar, I have Pfalzgraf dinnerware along with bowls, salt and pepper shakers etc.  I lot of stuff, even placemats that match.   I love my set!  I have had it for 9 years and some of the pieces have chipped, but I can just replace the one piece and not have to buy an entire new set. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We have tons of it!  My DH inherited it from his grandparents so they have sentimental (if not objective) value.  And, as a bonus, they happen to match our decor.

Here are the mugs from our pattern:  1950s Pfaltzgraf

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

The only thing we haven't used is a Kitchenaid mixer.  Shhhhh don't tell my friends who got it for us!  I know we WILL use it eventually, but I can never justify setting up and cleaning it just to mix brownies or mashed potatoes or whatever.
    The china we've only used twice, but I don't regret registering for it.  I just love it!  Now that we're starting a family, maybe we'll host a holiday here and there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fram, isn't it all set up?  And, it all goes in the dishwasher...right?  I highly recommend giving it a whirl; I think you'll be surprised at how quick and easy it is to use and clean!  I have a Viking, and I use it all the time.  The bowl and beater go in the dishwasher.  No mess, no fuss, and it gets the job done fast. 

Of course, I'm not trying to guilt you or otherwise encourage you to use something you don't want to use.  I just honestly think if you give it chance you'll love it.  I'm as uninterested in a big mess as the next gal, and wouldn't recommend something that's a pita.  I spent big bucks on mine, and I don't regret it - and that's saying something!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Kar, have you been peeking in my kitchen??  No, it's not set up - it's still in the box.  But good to know the parts are dishwasher safe.  Definitely ups the odds that I will use it soon!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Off Topic - BDC wedding gift article?:
    [QUOTE]Kar, have you been peeking in my kitchen??  No, it's not set up - it's still in the box.  But good to know the parts are dishwasher safe.  Definitely ups the odds that I will use it soon!
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

I'd know it was still in the box if I could see your kitchen, but, then again, if I could spy would I tell you?  Wink

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Fram - I felt the same way about our big food processor.  We keep it on the counter (our only appliance there aside from our toaster) and we actually use it all of the time because it's so easy to throw things in, chop them, and then throw all of the pieces in the dishwasher.  I was hestiant at first because it seemed like such a pain to get out, assemble, use for a quick thing, and then clean.  But it's surprisingly simple.  I imagine the Kitchen-Aid is the same way. 

(Although I must confess that our Kitchen-Aid is also still in the box, but that's only because we're waiting for a future kitchen to keep it in and have no room in our current tiny kitchen.  I am dyyyyying to use it!) 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

I have to say I love my KitchenAid! and like Sprout it is the ONLY appliance I keep out on the counter ... even our toaster gets put away :) ... I do like to cook so maybe I'm biased ... but I use it for bread and pizza dough, cookies, batters of any type, etc.  We also got the ice cream attachment and even use that on a regular basis for making frozen yogurt  ... always need a stash of that ;) .  I actually wish I got a big food processor, I just got the little one, and there are a few things that I make that would be sooo much easier with a full size processor.

I guess I disagree with the article ... I love and use the things we registered for.  But, like I said I like to cook and when we do have people over it is usually a nice evening event (no all-nighter parties at this house).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Kar, I remember my mom having mugs like those.  Not sure if they were Pfaltzgraf or not.  But how funny!  I bought my niece a set for her wedding and she loves them. 

In Response to Re: Off Topic - BDC wedding gift article?:
    [QUOTE]We have tons of it!  My DH inherited it from his grandparents so they have sentimental (if not objective) value.  And, as a bonus, they happen to match our decor. Here are the mugs from our pattern:  1950s Pfaltzgraf
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Boston, I like to cook, too, so maybe I'm not the best source of info on the mixer, BUT, I am lazy in the cleanup department, too, so...

I have two attachments for ours, the blender (high speed on the top) and a pasta extruder (like Playdough's spaghetti machine, used on the low speed outlet on the front.  I use the blender daily for DH's breakfast smoothies, and I just got the pasta attachment.  I've used it once, and I really liked the pasta, but it was a pita to clean so not sure how often I'll dig that out.  DH really liked the spaghetti, though, and the homemade sauce.

Ambergirl, that Pfaltzgraf pattern was VERY popular...I bet it was the same!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Kar, Fram and Sprout - you've inspired me to pull out my food processor when I get home.  Its the only thing from my registry that I haven't/don't use (because I can't figure out how to set it up - the blades won't sit right - will have to consult the manual) and i do chop a lot of stuff. 

As for china, I registered for and received 8 full place settings, salt & pepper shakers and a serving tray.  I hosted Thanksgiving for the first time this year and used every piece of china I own, as well as some everyday stuff, but I do set it out for just me & DH sometimes too.  It is dishwasher safe, though, so it doesn't take any more effort to clean my plain old crate and barrel dishes.  =)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

It's funny as the only things I have not used are the food processor and mixer!  They are both still in their boxes.  I love to bake but our kitchen is sooo tiny there is definitely no counter or cabinet space.  Since we are purchasing the house (it's my grandmothers) in a few weeks we have plans to renovate the kitchen so I am hoping to then be able to use those things.  Everything else we got we pretty much use regularly.  We did register for china and sometimes I think it was stupid as I love love love my everday dishes but then when we have a special occasion and I pull them out somehow they just make it feel even more special.  I know I'm silly.