Off topic -- neighbor problem

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Off topic -- neighbor problem

Our house is next to a large office building; a fence separates our back "yard" (just a tiny strip of dirt, really) from their parking lot. The fence is rotten and wobbly, and they posted signs on their side so there are rusty nail ends sticking through onto our side -- about 2" long. We have an ugly chain-link fence along our property that we want to get rid of, but when we removed half of it we saw that their fence was so unstable it would definitely fall over into our yard if we took our entire fence out. Also, there is a break in their fence with a dead tree in the middle. The chain-link was the only thing holding it together -- when we removed the fence, the trunk split in half and dumped gross stuff all over our patio area. The inside of the tree is decomposed to the point where it's basically dirt and carpenter ants. So now there's a rotten stump and a big hole. I don't want people to start walking through into our yard! And when I went to check the tree out from the other side, I saw that there were giant black bags of trash piled up all along the fence, and people had been piling more trash on top of the bags, so there was dog excrement and fast food containers and so on. SUPER gross. I have called and emailed them and they just ignore me. I am at a loss for how to proceed. I know that they have to put the trash in a dumpster, but what about the rest of it? Is there any legal thing about letting a tree and a fence fall into your neighbor's yard? Or do I have to put up a giant barricade to keep it all out? And the dead tree started out on their side, but now it's partially tipped onto mine. Is it now my tree and my problem?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Off topic -- neighbor problem

Oh, no, lemon, what a nightmare!!  YUCK!  

I wish I could help more, but all I can tell you is that our resident lawyer, ALF, is on vaca this week.  I'm sure she'll weigh in when she gets back, but maybe someone else knows about such things here in the meantime, hopefully.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Speak with your town hall and see if there is a department that checks on rights of situations like that - building department - health board - anyone that would stop by and take a look/see.  It would seem responsibility falls on them.  I would start with the Health Board.  If there is still trash of any kind there, that definitely falls under their jurisdiction for an inspection.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Call City Hall.  There must be a department that deals with stuff like that.  They have to take care of their fence and their tree. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

If any of the tree is on your property, you can remove that part of the tree. Same idea with overhanging limbs, but that doesn't obligate the other person to remove it because you don't like it. I think there might be some sort of zoning laws around removing/replacing fences, that require input from the abutting property, but my memory is fuzzy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wonder how the woman in a similar situation last year made out.  Remember, she was dealing with the trash from the woman next door leaning on and rotting/ruining her fence among other things...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

Do you know if the company owns the building, or if they rent it?  If they rent and you are calling/emailing the company and they are ignoring you, maybe if you find out who the landlord is and contact them you could get some help.  What a crappy situation.

I think Ennui had a similar problem, only with a residential neighbor.  Wonder how she made out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, that's who it, was, thank you!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OMG, it's the exact story as ennui, but she actually DID build a fence, and it WAS rotting because of the garbage on the other side.  Let me see if I can find it to see if it has anything useful to add...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, that was laughable.  I cannot possibly find it with BDC's search engine, sorry.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Maybe I could put up a giant cement wall. We could turn our little yard into a rock-climbing park.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Yuck.  And I definitely have some issues to bring up with Discretional Services when it's invented.

The person who said you should find out the actual owner of the building is right on target.  This should be on public record with the city or state, usually accessible online.
    I would then find out what the laws are.  This will be difficult without a lawyer, but maybe the city department will help.  Personally, I would then send a paper letter listing the laws to both the management company and the actual owner.  Some people think paper letters are more serious than e-mail.  And the actual owner could be potentially irritated that their management company is being so negligent in responding.

Keep in mind I am not a lawyer.  My FIL, who is a lawyer (although both old and old fashioned) would remind me that anything you write down either on paper or e-mail can now be used against you.  While I know this is true, my tactic has always been that by writing down something I am confident about (such as a listing of the facts and laws) I have a record of the steps I've taken and the other person's negligence.
    You can also keep a journal (with dates) of the calls that you've made that have gone unanswered and of the steps you took with your fence and with the tree falling and when you observed trash and on what dates.  For whatever reason, these kinds of records are often considered legit sources of info if you end up with a legal dispute.  Hopefully that won't happen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsBride. Show BsBride's posts

Send a certified letter to the owners, and ask for the name of their property insurance company. If you get that name out of them, send a letter to the insurance company. They don't want to pay the claim if that tree falls and damages your property, so they may pressure their insured to fix the situation.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

ALso, try calling your city councillor and all 4 of the city-wide.  That's their job, to help you as a resident have the best quality of life possible.  If nothing else, their LA's can help you strategize next steps!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I forgot to say -- THANKS everyone!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Bumping this up for ALF

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Sometimes you just want a like button!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxgirl07. Show Soxgirl07's posts

Slightly off topic, but if there were carpenter ants in that tree and their nest got destroyed, or even disturbed, you might want to make sure they aren't trying to take up residence in any other wooden structures on your property.
    We had a beautiful old tree on our property that we had to cut down after 1 gigantic limb fell because of carpenter ant damage. They tried to make a new nest in the corner of our house. Luckily DH noticed a trail of them before it got too bad, but even then getting rid of them was a nightmare!

Sections
Shortcuts