One More Halloween Question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

One More Halloween Question

I always remember going out to "trick or treat" with my Dad while my mom stayed home to answer the door. But it's my kid's first time and I want to go too!

Should I just turn off the lights until we get home - or put a bowl of candy and a note on the door?

They are three and we're only planning on about a dozen houses so we won't be out very long.

What are you doing?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: One More Halloween Question

Lily, I've learned the hard way that notes don't work [I got home well after 7 at my last job].  Esp if you have little kids w/ older ones and the parents stay on the side walk, they will raid that bowl like nobody's business.  I've had an entire bowl [that I was holding] emptied by 3 little girls. I was distracted asking one about her costume, while the littlest one had the fastest hands in the East and completely emptied my mixing bowl and filled her plastic pumpkin.  I'm still amazed that her parents didn't make her come back [they were on the sidewalk] and return some of the candy.  They had just started b/c the pumpkins of hte others girls had about 2 pieces of candy in it!  I've learned to dole out the candy rather than have them help themselves. 

Why not take turns?  If you are doing a dozen houses, do 6 on one side, then swap, and six on the other.  Flip a coin to see who goes first. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Getting vandalized would be my concern if everyone will be gone at once.  Love the take turns idea.

Have fun!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Lily, I'd go out with the kids and hand out candy afterwards.  I'm sure you'll be back early given their age.  If we had any neighbors worth visiting, that would be my plan.  I don't think it's a big deal if your house is dark for the first few kids who walk by. 

Would it be weird if we took DD to the library in costume to say hi to the nice ladies there?  I wouldn't want to be disruptive, but if we just popped in to return a few things and she happened to be in a costume? :o)  We rent on a busy street, so we don't have many neighbors. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Lights out in a house on Halloween is a universal signal to mean: No candy is being given out,  do not approach, most respect that and move on.

PS: Don't leave candy in a bowl for kids to help themselves, one or two individuals will just take it all.

Seems like Halloween home parties for kids are the way to go nowadays anyway.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from drobee. Show drobee's posts

With 3 year olds, you'll be out on the early side - just turn out the lights and go together.  Then, when you get home, turn on the lights and give the candy away...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

In response to misslily's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I always remember going out to "trick or treat" with my Dad while my mom stayed home to answer the door. But it's my kid's first time and I want to go too!

Should I just turn off the lights until we get home - or put a bowl of candy and a note on the door?

They are three and we're only planning on about a dozen houses so we won't be out very long.

What are you doing?

[/QUOTE]

I agree with others - turn off the lights, go together and then give out candy once you return.

But I remember that my father went with us, too, and Mom stayed home to give out candy - wonder why it was like that? And I remember seeing more Dads on the street, more Moms giving out the candy.... hmmm...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

maybe moms are more likely to want to dip into the chocolate with no one watching, lol.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

maybe moms are more likely to want to dip into the chocolate with no one watching, lol.

[/QUOTE]

hee hee.  or the wine!

Actually, this seems to be the opposite of most people's experiences, but we have left out a bowl for the last few Halloweens with no problems.  We turn on the porch light and put the bowl out with a sign to take 2 pieces per person.  At the end of the night, there is always some left in the bowl (unfortunately).

We did it when we first moved in because we wanted to be neighborly but weren't going to be home.  Then since then because DH gets home late and I didn't want to have to go downstairs a million times while trying to give DD dinner, get her ready for bed, et cetera.  I usually go down once or twice to check if we need refills.

ETA: if you just leave the bowl out for the short time that you're out with the twins, most of the kids that come during that period will be young and (hopefully) well supervised.  And it seems that the worst that can happen is that you are out a bowl of candy!