Opportunity for 7 year olds!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HGSEDocStudent. Show HGSEDocStudent's posts

Opportunity for 7 year olds!

The Harvard Graduate School of Education is working with Scholastic on improving some of their online educational games.  We are currently looking for male children 7 years of age (plus or minus one week) to give important feedback on parts of Scholastic websites.

Children play a few educational games on the Internet and then answer questions about their opinions of the games.  Feedback sessions take approximately 1 to 1.5 hours and can occur at the Harvard Graduate School of Education campus, your home, or a mutually agreed upon location with internet access.  Participants' responses are kept strictly anonymous.

Feedback sessions can be scheduled anytime through this Sunday, March 28.  Please consider assisting Harvard and Scholastic improve educational web offerings while providing your child the opportunity to play educational games!

If you have any questions or are interested in participating, please contact Christina Smiraglia at christina_smiraglia@mail.harvard.edu for more detailed information.  Thank you!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Opportunity for 7 year olds!

Within a week of their birthdays?  Can a month at that age really skew your data on internet game skills?  Seems a little too restrictive from a statistical point of view...you need a statistically significant number of participants, after all.

The fact that kids mature at very different rates would negate the need for such a small window around their 7th birthday.  Someone 7.5 years old might be less scholastically mature than someone a week before their 7th birthday, for instance, so +/- a week just doesn't make sense to be statistically signficant for your study.  Just trying to help you get participants.  Consult a Harvard statistician if you don't get enough kids to participate.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

I read it the same way as you, but to give them the benefit of the doubt, they might mean that they are looking for boys between the ages of 6 yrs, 51 wks old through 8 yrs, 1 wk old.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I hope so, but even so, it's good for them to know that their wording alone or the stats themselves might preclude them from getting enough participants.  It wasn't meant as a slam; I have a math degree, and I like to use it once in awhile - it was expensive!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ubet. Show ubet's posts

Kargiver,
    Maybe the purpose of the evaluation is to measure the variation in aptitude for a particular age.  As you stated, there is a lot of variation in children's ability at that age but what is that variation?  One way to measure this would have a collection of a population perform tasks and measure the success.  Ideally, we want all the children to be of the same age but I agree with you, this would limit the data collected.  Wouldn't statistics show us how accurate our answer is with the data collected? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If that's the purpose, yes, you'd need that strict 2 week window, but the way the study is described it doesn't seem to be that way to me.